[SOLVED] Problems after July update

Ze Carlos

Hi,

I know this is a recurring issue but some DLL's are having problems beeing registered. I am running Windows 10 x64 Pro and everything was working fine until i applied the update.

During installation the installer starts issuing warnings about not beeing able to register some dll's like DeWire.ddl, NullProxy.dll, MackieControl.dll and all the files related to Sonitus FX. If i click ignore to all those errors, i am able to run Cakewalk except when i try to use any Sonitus effect like compression, delay, etc. They all fail with exit code 0x3 if i am not mistaken.

In the end of installation it also complaints about a missing MSVCR120.dll wich is related to Visual C++ 2012 redistributables.

Things i've tried...

- Reinstalled Cakewalk by Bandlad (4 or 5 times). I also run the installer as Administrator.

- Scaned VST folders multiple times (existing and with errors).

- Installed ALL the Visual C++ redistributable packages since 2005 up to 2019 (32 and 64 bit versions).

- Updated Windows to version 1903 and reinstalled Cakewalk to no avail.

The dll's are all in the correct folders and the file MSVCR120.dll is not missing.

I am stalled and in need of a little help here. I wonder if this has happened to somebody else?

Thank you.

It sounds like something is blocking the .dll files from being able to register in Windows. This wouldn't be specific to 2019.07 as the installer hasn't changed. Typically its a pending Windows update or possibly an antivirus interfering with the install. I'd double-check if you can force any additional Windows updates for sure, and if you keep having trouble, you can e-mail support for additional troubleshooting steps.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Its is completely unrelated to our update.
If DLL's are failing to register its a windows permissions issue. Please reboot and retry the install. Make sure there is no windows update in progress.

Hi, i think one cannot say for sure that it isn't related to the update. I believe it isn't a coincidence that all Sonitus plugins stopped working after applying the update but again that is just my opinion.

There are no pending updates and i tried the reboot/install many times and it does not work.

Thank you for your help.

So, after rebooting and installing, and near the end of installation i get multiple errors like the ones in the first image. These are related to all Sonitus plugins and some other ones.

The second error is in the end of installation after ignoring all the errors before. Translated basically means "The application could not start correctly. Click OK to close the application.

The third error is issued when i try to add any Sonitus effect to a track.

error_one.jpg

error_two.jpg

error_three.jpg

Ok, so thanks to Noel and Jon i resolved the issue by repairing the Visual Studio C++ 2013 redistributable package. No need to uninstall or reboot your system.

Just go to the add/remove program utility in windows control panel, double click on the package and select repair. Thats it.

Thank you for all your help.

Peace.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

Though not directly related to your issue, Win10 build 1903 has been problematic on many current build machines.

High DPC Latency...

Yes. I find myself using the PDC button very often . I usually use a desktop computer but i have a better and faster laptop also with the 1903 build and the latency issue is not that noticeable.

Noel ping me about this thread.

We released a fix for the ntoskrnl 1903 very high DPC latency issue late last month. Not all of these things make it into announcement posts, so follow me on Twitter if you want info earlier.

If after installing that (or the roll-up that contains it), you still get high latency spikes, it's likely something else. Best way to diagnose that is to take a glitch trace and make us aware of it by sending me a link to the Feedback Hub entry.

Instructions are on Matthew's blog. Make sure you can hear the glitch when taking the log/trace. Sometimes we get traces with no audio, and that doesn't help. :)

https://matthewvaneerde.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/report-problems-with-logs-and-suggest-features-with-the-feedback-hub/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 8/10/2019 at 7:25 AM, Ze Carlos said:

Yes. I find myself using the PDC button very often . I usually use a desktop computer but i have a better and faster laptop also with the 1903 build and the latency issue is not that noticeable.

FWIW, Don't confuse DPC Latency with Audio Latency (two completely different things).

You need low/consistent DPC Latency to effectively work at low audio latency settings.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, Pete Brown said:

Noel ping me about this thread.

We released a fix for the ntoskrnl 1903 very high DPC latency issue late last month. Not all of these things make it into announcement posts, so follow me on Twitter if you want info earlier.

If after installing that (or the roll-up that contains it), you still get high latency spikes, it's likely something else. Best way to diagnose that is to take a glitch trace and make us aware of it by sending me a link to the Feedback Hub entry.

Instructions are on Matthew's blog. Make sure you can hear the glitch when taking the log/trace. Sometimes we get traces with no audio, and that doesn't help. :)

https://matthewvaneerde.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/report-problems-with-logs-and-suggest-features-with-the-feedback-hub/

Hi Pete,

The latest Win10 install discs are version 1903.

Installing on socket 1151/Z390 based machines (numerous different motherboards), with all available patches (thru Windows Update procedure), high DPC Latency persists.  

Installing from an older Win10 disc, there are no DPC Latency issues with v1803 or v1809.

I've downloaded the KB4505903 fix from your link above... and will test to see if that resolves the issue.

We appreciate your presence here on the forums!

Edited by Jim Roseberry

4 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Hi Pete,

The latest Win10 install discs are version 1903.

Installing on socket 1151/Z390 based machines (numerous different motherboards), with all available patches (thru Windows Update procedure), high DPC Latency persists.  

Installing from an older Win10 disc, there are no DPC Latency issues with v1803 or v1809.

I've downloaded the KB4505903 fix from your link above... and will test to see if that resolves the issue.

We appreciate your presence here on the forums!

Hi Jim

Stock 1903 has an issue with kernel code that causes high DPC latency on some PCs. The updates available for it should include the kernel patch we released last month, including KB4505903 (which I believe is in another roll-up with a different KB number).

If you still have high DPC latency after that (and rebooting), please do a trace per the blog post above, and provide the link to me. Note that tools that measure DPC latency aren't always accurate -- the team needs to hear the glitch in the audio that is recorded as part of the trace.

Finally, a common cause of DPC spikes is power settings: both the PC and the video card. There are LOTS of variables here, but with nvidia GPUs, make sure to set it to prefer maximum performance: (NVIDIA control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings). Folks on other forums have found that that setting alone appears to have a big impact in DPC latency. It's not something I've measured, myself.

Pete

9 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

FWIW, Don't confuse DPC Latency with Audio Latency (two completely different things).

You need low/consistent DPC Latency to effectively work at low audio latency settings.

Got it. Did a little research and are in fact two different things. 😉