Cakewalk doesn't do anything

When I open the assistant and login, it's all fine and dandy, but when I try to install Cakewalk, I select the things I want to be installed, and click install, but nothing happens. It doesn't say anything like it is installing, or shows any signs of it installing. I deleted it and tried again, same thing. It just doesn't install.

Any ideas as to why it does this? I really want to use Cakewalk, and LMMS and Tracktion aren't very intuitive like Logic Pro (what I used to use).

@Zephaniah Spliffée,

Welcome to the forum!  The answers to Mike's questions will be very useful information for us.

When you install Bandlab Assistant, click on the Apps tab and finally click on the button to begin the Cakewalk by Bandlab installation the program files start downloading. But ...

The files download in the background.  There is no progress bar the first time the files download.

It takes twenty (20) to thirty (30) minutes to download all the installation files.  Maybe even longer if you are browsing or otherwise using your computer.

Once all the files are downloaded, Bandlab Assistant starts installing the program files,  There is a progress bar during installation.

I'm thinking you are aborting before all the files are downloaded.  Twenty to thirty minutes without any sign of activity is a long time.  I never was successful until I clicked the button and walked away from the computer for more than a hour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fogle622 said:

It takes twenty (20) to thirty (30) minutes to download all the installation files.  Maybe even longer if you are browsing or otherwise using your computer.

This largely depends on the speed of your internet connection.

A full Cakewalk install (minus the addons like Studio Instruments etc, which you probably already have) is just under 600MB. So for me that's around 60-70 seconds to download with an 80Mbps connection (approx 8MB per sec). 

Once you're up to date, further incremental installers will much smaller in future - usually around 20-30MB.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It most certainly does, at home on my awful internet 600mb takes 45minutes to 60 minutes and that's providing the connection sticks, might have to do a few resumes. At the Library using their wifi it takes about 7 minutes.

I think in this case, as has been suggested, it is probably downloading in the background and the internet connection is slow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fogle622 said:

There is no progress bar the first time the files download. 

this seems like a bit of an omission

12 minutes ago, Zephaniah Spliffée said:

will it still download if my laptop lid is closed?

it depends what you've configured closing your lid to do in windows (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

it depends what you've configured closing your lid to do in windows (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings)

ah ok. Haven't used Windows much.

So I've waited for about 30 minutes, and I'm pretty sure my WiFi is pretty decent, and there isn't anything in any of the folders where Cakewalk is supposed to be installing. Any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Zephaniah Spliffée said:

So I've waited for about 30 minutes, and I'm pretty sure my WiFi is pretty decent, and there isn't anything in any of the folders where Cakewalk is supposed to be installing. Any thoughts?

do you see any network activity in task manager?

On 7/31/2019 at 10:46 AM, Zephaniah Spliffée said:

Just wondering, will it still download if my laptop lid is closed? I'm gonna try and keep it running till it's downloaded anyway.

Most laptops switch to a sleep or hibernate mode when the lid is closed unless the default bios settings are changed.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:05 AM, msmcleod said:

A full Cakewalk install (minus the addons like Studio Instruments etc, which you probably already have) is just under 600MB. So for me that's around 60-70 seconds to download with an 80Mbps connection (approx 8MB per sec). 

Once you're up to date, further incremental installers will much smaller in future - usually around 20-30MB.

I hate it when people “boast” about their download speed 🤪. If you live in the country, at the distant of an ADSL link its more like 2 to 3 hours ..... yep i’m officially jealous !!:.

J