Midi Learn from Cakewalk A-300 controller

sadicus

Cakewalk A-300
What are some things to try to get Rotary Knob 9 (or any hardware) to Midi Learn ?
following this tutorial:

MIDI LEARN

Remote Control> "LEARN" and turning anything on the A-300 is not working.
Even if the Effect Bal Wet Rot. is turned, it's not actually linked the the Absynth "WET" rot.

cbb_MIDI_Learn_Rot9.jpg

Edited by sadicus
  • Like 1

I have an A 49 which doesn’t have very many knobs but I have often used midi learn on effects and things with out issue. I have to use the correct midi channel however. Omni mode can make a huge mess in there if you used the same knob for something else.  

12 hours ago, rsinger said:

I don't remember off the top of my head. Are you using the right input? There are two midi inputs IIRC.

^^ Try this. The main input (A-PRO 1) is only the keys, the other input (A-PRO 2) is the controller functionality.

Edited by mettelus

@sadicus

I also own a Roland A300 😅
For example, I'm using an electric piano, but your synthesizer should work from the same principle.

1. You should check your A300 connection settings in control surface.

1880619104_.thumb.png.30a01883a6f55e1bc25a02a34bf29636.png

2. Then you need to go into the Remote Control module, press the Learn and turn the Rotary Knob 9 at the same time. After that, press OK

298619078_.thumb.png.4552db731622a23139c2ae1bc6129ac8.png

Everything should work!

• Like 1

The main input(A-PRO1) is only the keys,
the other input (A-PRO 2) is the controller functionality.

When Using as controller:
(PLAY, STOP) A-Pro Hardaware "ACT" button on = ?

When Using as just as Keyboard:
A-Pro Hardaware "ACT" button on = ?

This just happened:
1) After setting up All correct A-PRO settings, Close Cakewalk

2) A-PRO USB = Powered On
3) Open Cakewalk
4) as soon as CBB launches A-PRO "ACT" button turns orange (on)
5) Transport Buttons work as expected
A-PRO LCD reads: Control Map 19 (i must have made this the default)

In Cakewalk> Utility> A-PRO1
Software control surface THE "ENABLE" Button = on

A-PRO SETUP
* Used with permission from: S.Wallis
Cakewalk
Edit> Preferences> MIDI Devices
inputs> A-PRO MIDI IN:   A-PRO 1 and A-PRO 2
outputs> A-PRO MIDI out and A-PRO.

Then click apply

controllers/surfaces> (Click the yellow star to add a controller)
Select A-PRO from the controller/surface drop down menu
MIDI inPort> A-PRO 2
MIDI OutPort> A-PRO
* Make sure ACT and WAI and both selected.

click apply

Cakewalk main track page
Utilities> A-Pro - 1
On your A-PRO, press the ACT button, so it's lit, and press the back button (on the keyboard still) until the LCD reads Control Map. Turn the Value knob all the way to the left to select control map 0 (Sonar ACT Map)
press the value knob to select it.

Cakewalk main track page
Utilities> A-Pro - 1
If you used to use a generic controller before the A-PRO, then this screen usually has blue and green banks of knobs, sliders and buttons where you can use MIDI learn.

If you followed the above, then hopefully this screen should now look completely different. You should see the LCD screen, knobs, sliders, the pads etc.
.. From the presets menu, select  "Tracks/FX/Synths/Utility 2"
(I don't know why, but i find this works better than the default one, which doesn't seem to work at all for me...)

All the transport buttons on the A-PRO should now be working.
You should also notice one of the B1-B4 buttons is lit.

These tell Cakewalk what you want to control and you can choose from Tracks Effects Synth or Utility.

If you select Tracks, then the first 8 knobs and sliders control the pan and volume (fader) of tracks 1-8.
If you hold shift on the A-PRO, you can use the back and forward buttons (underneath the LCD screen) to have the first 8 knobs and sliders control the NEXT 8 tracks (shift and forward) Obviously if you hold shift and press the back button it selects the previous 8 tracks.

Edited by sadicus

2 hours ago, sadicus said:

When Using as controller:
(PLAY, STOP) A-Pro Hardaware "ACT" button on = ?

For your case A-Pro Controller will not work.
It provides only the automation of the console, tracks, synthesizer and effects that are written in it.
I couldn't fix it )))

Everything worked for me (for your case) only when nothing is included in the control surface.
Otherwise, the parameters will be duplicated (with A-Pro Controller).
And I turned "ACT" button off.

Try to do the same by removing the controller from the control surface

Edited by Asato Maa

I was trying to do two things:

1) Use the A-PRO as a transport controller with a long USB cord
2) Use A-PRO to control specific Synth Rack controls.

Anyway, The connection is working now at least Play/Stop from the Hardware is working.

Is this what you mean, the A-PRO Controller? (i'm not sure why "Neutron" is displayed, there is no instance in the project.)
cbb_APRO_Enable.thumb.jpg.551492809bf1372232f1d4442a60151e.jpg

Edited by sadicus

Quick, semi-related sanity check for myself... the A-300 doesn't ship with a power transformer, correct? I was setting things back up a couple weeks ago and thought I had lost it, but think it may have come only with the USB cable (buss powered). I wanted to check quick, since if it did come with power connection (I "think" that was optional), then I did lose it.

9 hours ago, mettelus said:

Quick, semi-related sanity check for myself... the A-300 doesn't ship with a power transformer, correct? I was setting things back up a couple weeks ago and thought I had lost it, but think it may have come only with the USB cable (buss powered). I wanted to check quick, since if it did come with power connection (I "think" that was optional), then I did lose it.

You are not crazy.  The Edirol/Roland controllers did not ship with the power transformer.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Try to do the same by removing the controller from the control surface

Sorry, i'm not understanding what's what in this setup. There's the actual Hardware (APC) A-PRO controller and then the (CUI) Controller UI that mimics the APC.

Edited by sadicus