Does anyone use win10 Version 1903 ?

Ciodontrax

I installed the update and now the software Expose (Mastering The Mix) doesn't work anymore.
Despite registered key the trial has expired, a new activation is not possible.

I suspect, because the activation reports that the activation on a virtual machine is not possible, that it is due to the windows sandbox which comes with Version 1903.

Has anyone had similar problems with cakewalk or other music software?

38 minutes ago, Harry C. said:

I installed the update and now the software Expose (Mastering The Mix) doesn't work anymore.
Despite registered key the trial has expired, a new activation is not possible.

I suspect, because the activation reports that the activation on a virtual machine is not possible, that it is due to the windows sandbox which comes with Version 1903.

Has anyone had similar problems with cakewalk or other music software?

Cakewalk is fine in 1903, however with some programs, when you run a large Windows update, it will perceive the updated Windows as a new computer. XLN Products for instance need to get re-authorized periodically with Windows updates. Sounds like it may have voided your trial authorization for the other application. 

50 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Make sure you have a backup if you're going to install v1903.

Even with the latest patches, we've seen DPC Latency issues with current generation hardware.

My Windows 10 Home PC says 1903 is available: "When you're ready for the update, select "Download and install now."" Can I put this off indefinitely?

2 hours ago, henkejs said:

My Windows 10 Home PC says 1903 is available: "When you're ready for the update, select "Download and install now."" Can I put this off indefinitely?

If you keep your machine disconnected from the Internet.  😉

With the Pro version of Win10, you can completely shut down all Automatic Updates (including notifications).

Unfortunately, you can't do this in the Home version.

There is an "in-place" upgrade from Home to Pro... but MS gouges a bit on the price ($100).

There's no performance advantage to Pro, but we recommend it to clients because it allows more control to "rein-in" Win10.

Automatic Updates can be fully shut down... and the Group Policy Editor makes it easy to shut down Cortana, OneDrive, etc.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Thanks 1

I just updated to 1903 this morning. Cakewalk seems to be running fine.

LatencyMon doesn't report any worse figures than before (and they were quite acceptable). So far, the only thing I've needed to do is re-register XLN Addictive Drums due to the computer ID change. *sigh*.

Just fyi, be aware that the major feature updates to Windows 10 (i.e. 1809, 1903, etc.) are actually full OS version upgrades, not just patches.

The relevant issue here is that this Windows upgrade will change the computer ID of the system that some product activation/authorization systems rely on, rendering some products inactivated after the upgrade.

Also, sometimes Windows system  settings can be reset from custom settings that you may have applied. It is a good idea to keep a checklist of any modifications you may have made to preferences, so that you can verify they are still active after an upgrade.

I've had issues that impacted dpc latency. I'm considering a full reinstall. 

Caution on the tracks.

The long dpc calls seem driven by privilege exceptions on the registry. Errors in the system event log. I've tried remediation by taking ownership of the keys and re-granting access.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

It's all sorted out now.

I'm not sure why it was all required, but I got my latency back down and steady again.image.png.9caf2f602ad41f23e20f531a19b50b9d.png

Here's one of the links that helped...

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-event-10016-error-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-in-windows-10

Checking the application event log and the system event log when the latency spiked helped me run down the final culprits.

Edited by Gswitz

9 hours ago, Gswitz said:

The long dpc calls seem driven by privilege exceptions on the registry. Errors in the system event log. I've tried remediation by taking ownership of the keys and re-granting access.

That's the kind of sentence that makes me wonder if it was a good idea to sell my 8-track tape recorder... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3