Resurrection of "The Old Barn Band"

mark skinner

First off I'd like to say , that the realization of  this song would not have been possible without the help and collaboration of @noynekker for his lyrical and mix suggestions. He opened the door for the "entire story line" and made everything easier to bring to completion. The vocal version in my opinion has taken a drastic turn from the instrumental funk groove version of this song. We've been thru a bunch of mixes and are still open for any suggestions for improvement. Thank You for your time , and as always your inspiration.      mark              - REMIX - down the page .

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14560162

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 4

Vocals sound great, very clearly mixed and intelligible (I'm not a native English speaker, so when I can hear/understand the lyrics clearly, it is a great plus).

Maybe you could try a little less reverb? It sets a space but now a lot lives in that same space. If you didn't do it already, perhaps just sidechaining the reverb signal to the original track would clear it up.

• Like 1

@Bajan Blue @AndyB01 Thanks guys , I Really appreciate the listen and comments. @Nick Blanc Thank You for commenting and your suggestion. I have several instruments going to a buss with a common reverb. I backed the reverb off a little on it and it does sound much clearer and the transients are coming through better. Common verb on the vocal bus as well. A very small adjustment helped there as well. The cello has a pretty massive reverb on it from Valhalla. I "barely" dropped the mix on it. I'll live with the mix for a while before doing any remastering. Thanks.  @RikF I would also like a "nice" solo. Seems I always just do fills. Maybe I'll try something.      Thank You ..  mark 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, mark skinner said:

First off I'd like to say , that the realization of  this song would not have been possible without the help and collaboration of @noynekker for his lyrical and mix suggestions. He opened the door for the "entire story line" and made everything easier to bring to completion. The vocal version in my opinion has taken a drastic turn from the instrumental funk groove version of this song. We've been thru a bunch of mixes and are still open for any suggestions for improvement. Thank You for your time , and as always your inspiration.      mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14560162

Mark, a bit of a different collaboration here. You suggested your "Sunrise Funk" groove might possibly need a vocal, so I threw you an idea . . . and you totally ran with it, and created this whole authentic storyline. It was just amazing to watch it unfold into this great and fun song . . . your creativity always inspires me, and many others here I'm sure.

Bruce

• Like 3

@steve@baselines.com Glad you enjoyed it , I too have been jacking it up Way too loud. @Craig Fowler I appreciate that , it's my editing skills that help the most .. @KSband Thanks for the listen and comments. I really wasn't ready to end the song without a break or a different bridge section  but , I did just add vocals to the instrumental version and it was already pretty long. @Larry T. I should have a remix done soon and have already boosted the vocals (a little). I sure wish I had some female backing singers ! @noynekker Sometimes it doesn't matter about the amount of work done in a collaboration , but the quality of it and the inspiration gained. You even had verses coming in at spots that my markers said "hold".  The little things made a big difference on this one , and I was Really stuck. Thanks again .. Looking forward to many more ..  mark          I'll try and get the remix done asap. I've been tied up.    Thanks ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

Had a re-listen to Sunrise Funk first; still love it.
But, this takes it to the "next level"!
Love the Cello.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:54 PM, mark skinner said:

wish I had some female backing singers

That would work!

Great work Mark and noynekker!

Just hit the drums out 👍's

t

• Like 1

Very nice ! Really enjoyed the song, the musicianship and the story. Yes if you remix it just boost the vocals a teeny bit which I think you said you did. They are so good I would like to hear the nuances better. You have an interesting voice. Great job!

• Like 1

I" finally" got a Remix done , taking into account Everyone's suggestions. There's "lots" of Suttle changes that probably I'll be the only one to notice. Besides those , I punched the kick and bass harder more towards a funk feel . I also added 8 bars with a lead break. I baked in a change in the intro that I didn't want to keep , and had to cross fade the part from the instrumental version to fix it. Lesson learned about not working on a "save as" copy. Also went through 2 days of Blue Screen Crashes. Finally figured that out. I'm going to let this mix soak and get away from it. Thanks for Everyone's suggestions , they Really made a difference..     mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14565499