1001 or loop de loop :)

Rik

Hi all, mucking about with a looper pedal and one off the few chord shapes I can still  play,  bit of a mid-eastern raga type of thingy, totally authentic ;)

Have a listen if you like:

Edited by Rik
  • Like 4

Phrygian scale??  One of my major areas of study in college was Ichthyology --- so, I thought I knew a bit about scales (you know -- placoid, cosmoid, ganoid, cycloid) but I sure don't know the Phrygian.  I guess I studied the wrong kind -- at least for music.  What ever kind of scale this was this was a terrific song.  Your playing was excellent, and I love that Spanish style and sound that you used.

Nice one!!

Rik, I've probably played this half step chord progression hundreds of time in my life, yet I never get tired of hearing this done well.  You made this shine with great tone and dynamite phrasing.  It just begs for some company to enhance that groove.  I'd like to hear what you could do with some backing tracks, but if not, then it's good to go as is.  I'd like to know how you recorded the guitar, if you don't mind?

Hey Lynn, thanks for listening and comments. I plugged my ovation  in a line 6 firehawk fx in which I’ve made a patch with just some compression,eq ,reverb and a looper. Recorded via usb to laptop. For medical reasons I can’t spend to much time on the computer, so it’s just a bit of guitar for now ;)

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, freddy j said:

Phrygian scale??  One of my major areas of study in college was Ichthyology --- so, I thought I knew a bit about scales (you know -- placoid, cosmoid, ganoid, cycloid) but I sure don't know the Phrygian.  I guess I studied the wrong kind -- at least for music.  What ever kind of scale this was this was a terrific song.  Your playing was excellent, and I love that Spanish style and sound that you used.

Nice one!!

I don’t know a thing about fish scales, however:

Seven of the modes (scales) in Western  music are based on the Major scale and have Greek  names.  For instance, the sixth mode of “C” major is named Aeolian or “A” natural minor.

C Major = C D E F G A B
D Dorian = D E F G A B C D
E Phrygian = E F G A B C D E
F Lydian = F G A B C D E F
G Mixolydian = G A B C D E F G
A Aeolian = A B C D E F G A
B Locrian = B C D E F G A B

If you want to learn more here is a good reference:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/guide-to-musical-modes/

Edited by amiller
  • Like 1

Hey amiller ,thanks for explaining,  I never think in note names, cde etc, but in 1/2 and whole steps on the high e string.

by my reckoning I’m playing this scale :  1/2  1  1  1/2   1  1/2  1   

I may be totally wrong of course.  I’ve been playing by ear for forty years plus  and really never worry about scales .

12 hours ago, Rik said:

Hey amiller ,thanks for explaining,  I never think in note names, cde etc, but in 1/2 and whole steps on the high e string.

by my reckoning I’m playing this scale :  1/2  1  1  1/2   1  1/2  1   

I may be totally wrong of course.  I’ve been playing by ear for forty years plus  and really never worry about scales .

I'm not sure what scale you have there.  Probably more than one merged together.  If you want to get really crazy check out this link:

List of musical scales and modes

Edited by amiller

3 minutes ago, Rik said:

Hey amiller, thanks for the link, interesting for sure. Do you happen to know what key I’m playing in ?

My relative pitch isn't too bad, however, I'm at work right now with no instrument to help me figure out the key.  I'll check it out when I get back home unless someone else here beats me to it.