FREE!!! NICE IRISH FLUTE SAMPLE LIBRARY

PavlovsCat

I just downloaded, installed and tried out the Emerald Flute library, an Irish flute sample library Libre Wave usually charges $23.99 USD for but is giving away free right now (end date unknown) and it's very nice. This is my first experience with this developer and I'm impressed. I didn't have more than a few minutes to play around with it, but I used the keyswitches to try the various articulations and I thought the library seems well done and sounds very nice. 

It uses the developer's plugin called Rhapsody, (available for Mac, Win & Linux) so for those without KONTAKT, this doesn't require that. So install that first and then download the two files for the library (there's 4 videos on the page to download Rhapsody; you only need to watch the first and it's very simple). 

https://librewave.com/product/emerald-flute/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 10

11 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Cool. Great dev.

Already got:

- Sordina

- O'Malley's Irish Whistles

- Michaela's Harp

Gewd stouph indeed. 

I should just PM you before I buy anything from a developer that's new to me! You own just about everything! But thanks for the recommendations. Judging from this library,  I felt certain this is a high quality developer. Now I feel very confident. It's a very nice library to pick up free. 

• Like 1

I must be missing something...

I grabbed this instrument and the order gave me two files to download + my serial number :

emerald_flute_data_1_0_0.lwz  

emerald_flute_samples_1_0_0.lwz 

There is no installer anywhere and searching their site for a good while produced no info.

I have never seen a .lwz file before (and I've been around a while)

Their 'installation guide' says there should be a .exe for windows.

I tried 7-zip on the above files and got :

info.hxi
articulations.ch1
sustain.ch1
transition.ch1

Seems promising - but what do I do with them ?

Help please...

Edited by Paul P

10 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I must be missing something...

I grabbed this instrument and the order gave me two files to download + my serial number :

emerald_flute_data_1_0_0.lwz  

emerald_flute_samples_1_0_0.lwz 

There is no installer anywhere and searching their site for a good while produced no info.

I have never seen a .lwz file before (and I've been around a while)

There 'installation guide' says there should be a .exe for windows.

I tried 7-zip on the above files and got :

info.hxi
articulations.ch1
sustain.ch1
transition.ch1

Seems promising - but what do I do with them ?

Help please...

Same, how do you install these files?

Come on guys, it's literally explained in my original post and it's only two sentences and it's also explained on the landing page for the sample library. From my OP above: 

"It uses the developer's plugin called Rhapsody, (available for Mac, Win & Linux) so for those without KONTAKT, this doesn't require that. So install that first and then download the two files for the library (there's 4 videos on the page to download Rhapsody; you only need to watch the first and it's very simple). "

Here's a direct link to the Rhapsody player landing page: 

https://librewave.com/rhapsody/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

Site seems broken.

I am getting a "something went wrong" message when I try to check out. 

The website worked for me.

Rhapsody plugin keeps crashing in Reaper though. The standalone app seems to be working.

Edit. For some reason it stopped crashing in Reaper. 

Edited by BTP

9 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Come on guys, it's literally explained in my original post and it's only two sentences and it's also explained on the landing page for the sample library. From my OP above ...

Thanks PavlovsCat, I apologize for not giving your post the attention it deserved.

You'd think Librewave could have mentioned this in their confirmation email or somewhere obvious on their website.  Even the installation guide doesn't say that Rhapsody is something that is required, because it's the player.  The flute page does have a "Runs in the free Rhapsody player" buried in the system requirements, but without knowing what Rhapsody is, that's not very helpful.

But then it took me quite a search to figure out how to quote the above in this reply.  "Quote" to me looks like the "+" button's label...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

Thanks PavlovsCat, I apologize for not giving your post the attention it deserved.

You'd think Librewave could have mentioned this in their confirmation email or somewhere obvious on their website.  Even the installation guide doesn't say that Rhapsody is something that is required, because it's the player.  The flute page does have a "Runs in the free Rhapsody player" buried in the system requirements, but without knowing what Rhapsody is, that's not very helpful.

But then it took me quite a search to figure out how to quote the above in this reply.  "Quote" to me looks like the "+" button's label...

No need for apologies.  Plus, I prefer light hearted humor! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Here's a direct link to the Rhapsody player landing page: 

https://librewave.com/rhapsody/

Thanks!

But I dare to say this is just another sample player! There are now so many out there! The problem is if I am in need of an instrument I only look up in my vsti catalog and in Kontakt! Most of the time I forget about the samples in other players! That's why I avoid adding more samples that are out of the most common players.

It is sad that there are not, say about 3, sample standards so that any player could use them and you would be free to choose 1 single player (yeah, I am dreaming of a positive future, but I know that it goes exactly the opposite way! That's progress in the 21st century! 😄).

20 minutes ago, MarcL said:

Thanks!

But I dare to say this is just another sample player! There are now so many out there! The problem is if I am in need of an instrument I only look up in my vsti catalog and in Kontakt! Most of the time I forget about the samples in other players! That's why I avoid adding more samples that are out of the most common players.

It is sad that there are not, say about 3, sample standards so that any player could use them and you would be free to choose 1 single player (yeah, I am dreaming of a positive future, but I know that it goes exactly the opposite way! That's progress in the 21st century! 😄).

Yeah, I completely understand. I would prefer if this were a KONTAKT library too. When an indie dev creates their own sample player it means one more plugin to learn, update and maintain that might have issues at some point, especially if the dev later gets out of the biz or abandons their old library. But I empathize with devs who do this, which is often done out of empathy for customers who can't afford or don't want to buy KONTAKT.  I don't agree with making their own plugins -- I already have a ridiculous amount of various developer's proprietary sample players. On the flipside, one can easily make the argument that it creates a near monopoly for NI. But as a user, I'm a huge fan of not having to use and maintain a ton of different plugins to play sample libraries and not having to worry that my investment will be worthless if a small developer stops supporting their plugin because they've moved on, died, whatever. That said, this dev made a really fine sample library and I'm very grateful for his generosity and hope he gets lots of business.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

On the flipside, one can easily make the argument that it creates a near monopoly for NI.

That's the reason why I talked about sample standards that could be used of multiple providers. Me too, I don't like that NI has such a monopoly position in sample playing, even if I own Kontakt Full! I think common, open standards could help to provide more competition and would reduce absolute monopolies like this. 

• Like 2