Total newb to Cakwalk and have ?s

Brian Mavity

Greetings folks.

Used to do this years ago with Audacity (yea, that long ago) I have Cakewalk and using Positive Grids Riff as an interface but I keep getting ASIO conflicts. I can't use both at the same time. Trying to use the Riff/Bias Fx2 as a standalone but I'm guessing I need to somehow open it up in Cakewalk. I do not know how to do this. 

Any help in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

I'm sure John's video spells it out well, but basically you can only use one ASIO device at a time. If you want to use more than one audio device, you'll need to switch to WASAPI mode. But bear in mind that unless you have a way to lock their timing together somehow (usually with some kind of wordclock cable) then you'll get timing drift between the different devices.  How much of that actually bothers you is up to how you plan to use the devices and how sensitive the timing needs to be for your recording.

That said, it looks like you only really have one interface and you're trying to run Bias as its own app outside of Cakewalk. Why? It works great as a plugin just inserted into a track, and you'll likely get FAR better performance out of ASIO than trying to wrangle multiple devices and apps with WASAPI.