Izotope RX gurus: how to listen through headphone compensation

Billy86

When monitoring with headphones in CW, I use the headphone version of Sonarworks SoundID Reference to compensate for my headphones frequency response.  Waves' various emulated studio listening environments (Abbey Road, CLA, etc.) also have built in compensation for a decent range of headphones, mine included. So, I'll use one or the other depending on what I'm doing.

My question: Is there a way to use my Sonarworks SoundID headphone software when working in RX standalone so I can listen with that same compensation?  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

When monitoring with headphones in CW, I use the headphone version of Sonarworks SoundID Reference to compensate for my headphones frequency response.  Waves' various emulated studio listening environments (Abbey Road, CLA, etc.) also have built in compensation for a decent range of headphones, mine included. So, I'll use one or the other depending on what I'm doing.

My question: Is there a way to use my Sonarworks SoundID headphone software when working in RX standalone so I can listen with that same compensation?  Thanks. 

I believe so, yes. Sonarworks has a plugin version for your DAW but it also has a system wide version that will correct all audio on the system. From their web page:

DAW Plugin and Systemwide Calibration

Works in all major DAWs as a plugin and as a standalone Systemwide app calibrating audio across your entire system.

Ehen I installed SoundID for headphones it created a start menu item to start the app which then resides in the task bar tray:

image.png.bedf6adbee7ce80e1428b62906a5e034.png

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 12:16 PM, Billy86 said:

I'm assuming you use SoundID in Cakewalk as a plug-in?

Doesn't RX Editor support plug-ins? Is the issue that you don't want the plug-in applied to the audio itself, but on a monitoring output bus (which RX Editor doesn't have)? Seems like you could mute SoundID when it comes time to render.

I still haven't been able to get back in front of my computer and make music. Life. Yes, I have the headphone version of SoundID, and it's a plugin on the master bus in CW. I listen through iy in the cans, then you have to turn it off when you render b/c it affects the sound.  RX does not support plugins as far as I know. It has an entire suite of "plugins" for repairing/manipulating audio built into it.  

• Like 1

I think you can also select RX Monitor as the output for the RX Editor app, add the RX Monitor plugin to a bus (or track) in Cakewalk. Then RX will output audio to the plugin instance in Cakewalk. This way the RX audio output will be through whatever plugins you use in the DAW, and can also "share" the ASIO driver.