2019.07 Feedback

Jesse Jost

15 hours ago, gmp said:

Marker bug in 2019.07

I use F11 to add a marker. When the transport is stopped it works fine to add a marker and to name it. If the transport is playing back or recording and I add a marker,  I then right click the marker to bring up the window  and name the marker and hit OK. The marker window pops up again (this is the bug). It shouldn't pop up again. I hit OK a 2nd time and the window goes away.

Has this bug been reported?

I don't know if this has already been reported but I can reproduce what you see:

Right click on a Marker to edit the name brings up a second Marker dialog box after hitting "OK" or "Cancel" of the first dialog box.

I wanted to ask for the possibility to configure (disable) the function that a long space bar click jumps to the start of the song. But when doing some tests I detected the following bug:

If you press excessively the space bar during run, then you get CbB into the unstoppable play loop (has to be killed in the task manager)!

This bug has been reported several times, even in the old forum. But now I have a simple way to reproduce it:

1. Create a new empty project.
  2. Set the loop on bar #2 and the now time to 02-01 (start of the loop).
  3. Start playing and before the iteration jumps back press excessively the space bar (just keep on pressing).

I always have noticed that there is some sort of bug in start/stop by pressing the space bar. It is not only the unstoppable loop but also jumping to the beginning or stopping anywhere, even if you have configured to jump back to the current now time. IMHO it may have to do with keyboard events coming in an unexpected order!

On 9/8/2019 at 3:10 PM, Klaus said:

I don't know if this has already been reported but I can reproduce what you see:

Right click on a Marker to edit the name brings up a second Marker dialog box after hitting "OK" or "Cancel" of the first dialog box.

Today it happened with the transport stopped. It doesn't always happen that way, but always messes up when the transport is moving.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:06 AM, marled said:

I wanted to ask for the possibility to configure (disable) the function that a long space bar click jumps to the start of the song. But when doing some tests I detected the following bug:

If you press excessively the space bar during run, then you get CbB into the unstoppable play loop (has to be killed in the task manager)!

This bug has been reported several times, even in the old forum. But now I have a simple way to reproduce it:

1. Create a new empty project.
  2. Set the loop on bar #2 and the now time to 02-01 (start of the loop).
  3. Start playing and before the iteration jumps back press excessively the space bar (just keep on pressing).

I always have noticed that there is some sort of bug in start/stop by pressing the space bar. It is not only the unstoppable loop but also jumping to the beginning or stopping anywhere, even if you have configured to jump back to the current now time. IMHO it may have to do with keyboard events coming in an unexpected order!

@marled I was able to repro the issue where if you had it set to "On stop rewind to now" multiple clicks during playback would jump to the begin of the loop or start of the project. There was some code that was added many years ago to try and detect multiple rewinds and jump back. I've taken it out since it seems unexpected and was behaving inconsistently which is why you thought it was a bug.

However I cannot reproduce playback getting stuck like you describe. Did that only happen with "On stop rewind to now"? If you can repro even otherwise please see if you can get a recipe since I would like to fix that issue. I tried many times but do not see that problem.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I was able to repro the issue where if you had it set to "On stop rewind to now" multiple clicks during playback would jump to the begin of the loop or start of the project. There was some code that was added many years ago to try and detect multiple rewinds and jump back. I've taken it out since it seems unexpected and was behaving inconsistently which is why you thought it was a bug.

Great! Thank you! Yes, the option "On stop rewind to now" had been set.

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

However I cannot reproduce playback getting stuck like you describe. Did that only happen with "On stop rewind to now"? If you can repro even otherwise please see if you can get a recipe since I would like to fix that issue. I tried many times but do not see that problem.

I have tested with the option "On stop rewind to now" disabled and here it gets unstoppable even then very easily. Have you tried to hold the space bar continously pressed down for 2 or 3 loops (it is essential to have a repeat loop activated)? This recipe causes here always the ghost playing. Maybe I have some other settings that are required to get it happen?

But I have also found a way to stop it nevertheless: As soon as I enable the input echo (either on the single audio track or globally) I can stop the playback again (maybe this helps to find the cause). But initially setting the input echo does not prevent the uncontrolled looping. Then I have to disable and enable it again to be able to stop the playing.

@Noel Borthwick  Additional investigation led to the following findings:

Because I guessed that it may be related to the weak laptop PC (i5-5200U, 8GB, HD Hybrid SSHD 5400), I tried to repro on my main Daw computer (i5-8600K @3.6GHz, 16GB, SSD). In the first moment I couldn't reproduce. But then I suspected that the Focusrite audio interface on the laptop could be the problem, because I use the same CbB version and settings on both systems.

Using the Focusrite interface on the  desktop PC succeeded! The problem is definitely related to the Scarlett Solo audio interface, respectively to the Focusrite driver (4.63.23.563, 2019-06-19). I am not able to say if it is the sole culprit, often it is a combination of several things. By the way I use Windows 10 Pro on both PCs, version 1803 on the desktop and version 1903 on the laptop.

Marc

On 9/9/2019 at 9:06 AM, marled said:

Is this the same effect that others call "motorboad effect" or something around that? If yes, than I can only report that I'm having it using an ART usb interface connected to computer over the excellent Ploytec driver (usb-audio.com).

Windows 10 ver. 1903, latest Cakewalk by Bandlab, HP Elitedesk G2

Edited by chris.r

At launch Cakewalk is not responding for several minutes.

Problem occurs after splash screen disappears but prior to the VST scan and prior to the 'Cakewalk Start Screen'. 

The same problem occurs after closing a project.

Problem started with the 2019 07 release and was not resolved in build 70.

Been using Cakewalk/Sonar over 25 years. Never had this issue prior to this release.

To get ahead of the most obvious question: -> No, i did not install any new plugins.

10 hours ago, sabo fx said:

At launch Cakewalk is not responding for several minutes.

Problem occurs after splash screen disappears but prior to the VST scan and prior to the 'Cakewalk Start Screen'. 

The same problem occurs after closing a project.

Problem started with the 2019 07 release and was not resolved in build 70.

Been using Cakewalk/Sonar over 25 years. Never had this issue prior to this release.

To get ahead of the most obvious question: -> No, i did not install any new plugins.

Have you tried opening Cakewalk in Safe mode ?

12 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Have you tried opening Cakewalk in Safe mode ?

Thanx Chuck E Baby for your reply!

Safe mode can only be used to selectively choose which VST to load or skip when opening a project.

However, my problem occurs at launch of Cakewalk prior to even having the ability to navigate to the "File" pull down menu. And the problem also happens after closing a project in cakewalk. I never had any of such issues before the 07 2019 release.

I'm curious to learn if I am the only person experiencing this problem.

1 hour ago, sabo fx said:

Thanx Chuck E Baby for your reply!

Safe mode can only be used to selectively choose which VST to load or skip when opening a project.

However, my problem occurs at launch of Cakewalk prior to even having the ability to navigate to the "File" pull down menu. And the problem also happens after closing a project in cakewalk. I never had any of such issues before the 07 2019 release.

I'm curious to learn if I am the only person experiencing this problem.

you are correct, sorry I misinterpreted that.

Possibly its the Audio interface/Soundcards initializing process. Or a device (midi device) that cant synch with Sonar.

What devices, soundcard are you using ?

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

you are correct, sorry I misinterpreted that.

Possibly its the Audio interface/Soundcards initializing process. Or a device (midi device) that cant synch with Sonar.

What devices, soundcard are you using ?

Focusrite scarlett 6i6 2nd gen (Using most recent drivers)

Using ASIO driver mode in Cakewalk

Other possible relephant system specs:

Windows 10 Pro build 1903 (with latest updates)

32GB memory / AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.20 Ghz

Recording

Loop recording on a track in Comp record mode will now automatically crop clips using the comping rules

I would say it needs to be updated.

In situation when you're recording alone you press rec button, then you play your takes. After you've finished you take away your fingers from guitar to touch stop button. So you're recording empty or noisy thing which of course should not be in the take.  

My request is to add function to delete unfinished takes and save only finished ;)

On 9/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, Chuck E Baby said:

I would ditch that and re install the old one. There has been aq known issue with the new Focusrite Scarlet drivers.

Read more here-

Hiya Chuck,

Thanx again for your reply! I downgraded my focusrite driver as is recommended on the forum. This resolved some of my other strange issues i was recently experiencing (BSOD and such). But unfortunately it has not resolved my problem with having to wait for minutes, each time i launch Cakewalk :-(

1 minute ago, sabo fx said:

Hiya Chuck,

Thanx again for your reply! I downgraded my focusrite driver as is recommended on the forum. This resolved some of my other strange issues i was recently experiencing (BSOD and such). But unfortunately it has not resolved my problem with having to wait for minutes, each time i launch Cakewalk :-(

Does your Focusrite driver installation require a handshake while installing ? Plug the USB cable into the same port as drivers were installed to.

Also important... Make sure you are not plugging it into a USB 3.0 port. Use a USB 2.0 instead.

Might even want to check your cable as well my friend.

We'll get it and figure this thing out :) Its a like a puzzle with round pieces xD

4 hours ago, sabo fx said:

Hiya Chuck,

Thanx again for your reply! I downgraded my focusrite driver as is recommended on the forum. This resolved some of my other strange issues i was recently experiencing (BSOD and such). But unfortunately it has not resolved my problem with having to wait for minutes, each time i launch Cakewalk 😞

@sabo fx if you haven't yet resolved it yet can you please capture a dump file from task manager while the app is in a wait state. This may shed some light into whats taking long. The dump file will be large so you will need to zip it and upload it to dropbox or some other file sharing service. When you do that send me a link to the file and I will look into it.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@sabo fx if you haven't yet resolved it yet can you please capture a dump file from task manager while the app is in a wait state. This may shed some light into whats taking long. The dump file will be large so you will need to zip it and upload it to dropbox or some other file sharing service. When you do that send me a link to the file and I will look into it.

Hi Noel,

I really appreciate your help! I've send you my memory dump.

Thanx again!

• Like 1

Hi @sabo fx I looked at your dump file. This is definitely not an issue in the 07 release.

What's happening is that the start menu is taking very long to populate the recent files list because it appears that some of your files are on a network drive.
You can see below that the code is attempting to launch the start page. However it encounters this UNC file path:

"\\192.168.178.21\workspace\Cakewalk\Projects\190901-Astatics\190901-Astatics.cwp"

When it encounters this path we're trying to check whether the file actually exists by calling the Windows API PathFileExists. After that we attempt to read some meta data from the project file for the start page. The PathFileExists operation is taking very long and likely timing out. Is this network path still active on your system?

ntdll.dll!NtQueryAttributesFile()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     KERNELBASE.dll!GetFileAttributesW()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     KERNELBASE.dll!PathFileExistsW()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     Cakewalk.exe!CStartPage::CopyUserData() Line 1008    C++    Symbols loaded.
     Cakewalk.exe!CStartPage::LaunchStartPage(HWND__ * hWndHost, int) Line 585    C++    Symbols loaded.
     [Inline Frame] Cakewalk.exe!CCakewalkApp::LaunchStartPage(HWND__ *) Line 452    C++    Symbols loaded.
     Cakewalk.exe!CCakewalkApp::InitInstance() Line 4463    C++    Symbols loaded.

In general loading projects off a network drive via an IP address is not recommended since it could change if it isn't a static IP.
This is the reason for your hang. This is also why closing a project hangs - because its trying to load the start screen. You can improve startup by turning off the start page in preferences or loading a bunch of local projects so that the UNC paths are dropped from the MRU in start menu.

Let me know if this helps you resolve it.