2019.07 Feedback

Jesse Jost

I thought that the overwriting of clips in take lanes has been fixed!? But this is not true if I set the now position, select a take lane and use the "Import Audio" menu. Although I have selected e.g. a new take lane (top left and name is marked!) the imported audio is inserted in arbitrary other lane (that contained another clip) !!! 😡

4 hours ago, marled said:

I thought that the overwriting of clips in take lanes has been fixed!? But this is not true if I set the now position, select a take lane and use the "Import Audio" menu. Although I have selected e.g. a new take lane (top left and name is marked!) the imported audio is inserted in arbitrary other lane (that contained another clip) !!! 😡

Dragging from the browser respects the drop location and will insert clips contiguously on lanes. If you drop on a lane that has data it will autocrop it like this.
If you drag to to the main comp track it will drop starting from the first lane and crop any data that lives there. This is by design.
If you want to insert new lanes just drop to the last lane or insert a new lane and drop there.
EXAMPLE: Dragging MIDI and audio clips from Browser to add take lanes

EDIT: I see you mentioned the import audio menu. Make sure that the target lane you want to import to is selected by double clicking the lane.
I'll check if  the import audio menu respects the selected lane position. 

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

EDIT: I see you mentioned the import audio menu. Make sure that the target lane you want to import to is selected by double clicking the lane.

When I double click the lane, then all lanes are selected. Only a 2nd double click selects the lane (or what do I wrong?). But doesn't matter either how I select the lane, it seems not to respect the selection if I use the "Import Audio" menu (via the File menu or the popup menu, both the same).

And yes, I know that if I drag an audio file via the browser (either the internal or the Windows Explorer) I can define the target lane. But in contrast to the import menu I have to position the audio file in the timeline with the drag operation (with the import menu the position is = now).

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:
14 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Num-5 unselects?  Not on my box (I wish it did!).

@RobertWS make sure that num lock is OFF before doing that. Its the "gray" num-5 key that unselects. I use it all the time.

Was wondering whether it's possible to engage simple Esc click for that?

Edited by chris.r

37 minutes ago, marled said:

When I double click the lane, then all lanes are selected. Only a 2nd double click selects the lane (or what do I wrong?). But doesn't matter either how I select the lane, it seems not to respect the selection if I use the "Import Audio" menu (via the File menu or the popup menu, both the same).

And yes, I know that if I drag an audio file via the browser (either the internal or the Windows Explorer) I can define the target lane. But in contrast to the import menu I have to position the audio file in the timeline with the drag operation (with the import menu the position is = now).

I was referring to double clicking in the clips view within the lane to select it.
I was able to repro your issue. We didn't test importing from the file menu so missed that case. It will be fixed in the next update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:
2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Was wondering whether it's possible to engage simple Esc click for that?

Esc is used for other operations as well such as cancelling a mixdown, so it may be unexpected to make it cancel a selection...

Of course cancelling a mixdown or a dialog window would take the priority in that case.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:27 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Dragging from the browser respects the drop location and will insert clips contiguously on lanes. If you drop on a lane that has data it will autocrop it like this.
If you drag to to the main comp track it will drop starting from the first lane and crop any data that lives there. This is by design.
If you want to insert new lanes just drop to the last lane or insert a new lane and drop there.

@Noel Borthwick - I am finding that it makes a big difference whether take lanes are visible or not for dragging/inserting new clips. If and ONLY IF take lane view is OFF will inserting new clips automatically create new take lanes. Otherwise, with take lanes visible, adding/inserting clips (by double click from browser) will only continue to overwrite onto the most recent lane, unless, of course, you DROP to a specific lane. I can get no double-clicking or drag-dropping behavior to create a NEW lane with lanes visible. Neither does double-clicking in the blank space of open lane to choose that lane work for inserting clip to that lane. The clips will only go to most recent lane.

Hopefully these attached videos help explain...

Edited by winkpain
added info

On 8/27/2019 at 8:27 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

...Also, Importing a clip from File menu seems to oddly only write to take lane 2 whether lanes are open or not. (?!) I have videos of this but have reached my upload limit (I guess).

@winkpainThe file menu issue will be fixed. The other behavior of double clicking files in browser when lanes are open is that it will insert to the active lane.
I think that is expected today. Its also how it works with tracks - it will insert into the current track. 
When lanes are closed there is no active lane so it appends...

What I am saying is that with track lanes open and activating any lane  and double-clicking on a clip from the browser will only ever insert the clip into the most recent lane. You can see this in the attached video where activating lanes 1 - 3 successively and trying to insert a clip will only place it in Lane 4. If I understand you correctly, this seems to contradict what you are saying about active lanes.

Only when lanes are closed will inserting single clips add it to a new lane.

Edited by winkpain
spelling correction

Ah I see - I missspoke. What its doing is when lanes are open it treats a browser double click the same as a drag and drop to the master track for the lane. This results in the drop occuring to the FIRST lane not the current lane.  I suppose we can consider trying to special case the browser and make it always append lanes if you double click.

Ah I see - I missspoke. What its doing is when lanes are open it treats a browser double click the same as a drag and drop to the master track for the lane. This results in the drop occuring to the FIRST lane not the current lane.  I suppose we can consider trying to special case the browser and make it always append lanes if you double click.

That would be good! Certainly if a lane has been activated. And speaking of that, what then is the point you were making about activating a lane to begin with if it is not to indicate the lane that is the intended location of an insert? I'm still not understanding that....

I would say thanks a lot again.

Upadted take system works really well.

Few years ago I've had my first iPad. Nowadays I am making drum beats and sampling with it. For Example I am using UVI's BEATHAWK https://www.uvi.net/beathawk.html which is like a limited MPC, but it works for me now. So after I make my beats (i'm into modern industrial, trip-hop, NIN'like stuff) i export my 12 pads (as wav files). It is sad that this App has no multiout, so I can't export my hats once. I export different wav files (for openhat.wav and closedhat.wav). So... I would like to see these tracks as one and here goes take system. I load my closed hat as "take 1" and open hat as "take 2" and then they're getting together in waveform.

Marker bug in 2019.07

I use F11 to add a marker. When the transport is stopped it works fine to add a marker and to name it. If the transport is playing back or recording and I add a marker,  I then right click the marker to bring up the window  and name the marker and hit OK. The marker window pops up again (this is the bug). It shouldn't pop up again. I hit OK a 2nd time and the window goes away.

Has this bug been reported?