2019.07 Feedback

Jesse Jost

15 hours ago, Twisted Fingers said:

I guess the bug is that custom key bindings need to be re-created and saved with every lens you create.

Wondering whether it's an oversight or it was meant to be that way?

47 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Wondering whether it's an oversight or it was meant to be that way?

It's by design. There are two things to be aware of.

• If "Keyboard Shortcuts" is enabled in Lens Manager: The lens will save a snapshot of the current keyboard shortcut assignments. Whenever you load that lens (which happens when you load a project or start a new session), it restores its saved shortcut assignments, potentially wiping any custom shortcuts that were assigned after the lens was saved.
  • If "Keyboard Shortcuts" is NOT enabled in Lens Manger: If you make any custom keyboard shortcut assignments while a lens is selected,  you will only lose the shortcuts if you switch the lens to "None" or to a custom user lens that has "Keyboard Shortcuts" enabled in Lens Manager.

We allow you to save shortcuts in lenses so you can have different shortcuts based on workflow. However, if you prefer to always use the same shortcuts regardless of which lens is selected, you should set lenses to "None" before making any global keyboard shortcut assignments. These global shortcuts will then be available to use in any factory lens or user lanes that has "Keyboard Shortcuts" disabled in Lens Manager.

If anyone is  experiencing other keyboard shortcut persistence issues after disabling "Keyboard Shortcuts" in Lens Manager and resaving the lens(es), then there is another issue we need to investigate.

• Thanks 6

To clarify:

Cakewalk has a master list of global keyboard shortcut assignments. These are the shortcuts that are active when lenses are set to "None".

You can override the global shortcut assignments per lens by enabling "Keyboard Shortcuts" in Lens Manger, then assigning new shortcuts and resaving the lens.

Any lens that has "Keyboard Shortcuts" disabled in Lens Manager inherits shortcut assignments from the master list ("None"), or from the previously selected lens.

• Thanks 4

On 8/18/2019 at 1:17 PM, Twisted Fingers said:

My HelpText_EN.dat is not up to date. See attached screen shot. How do I update it.

The files in AppData will get automatically copied from the C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk if they're moved/deleted from your existing AppData folder. You can clear AppData\Roaming\cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module and when you open CbB, they'll get updated. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jon Sasor said:

The files in AppData will get automatically copied from the C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk if they're moved/deleted from your existing AppData folder. You can clear AppData\Roaming\cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module and when you open CbB, they'll get updated. 

Good to know. Thanks  

On 8/19/2019 at 12:37 PM, Morten Saether said:

To clarify:

Cakewalk has a master list of global keyboard shortcut assignments. These are the shortcuts that are active when lenses are set to "None".

You can override the global shortcut assignments per lens by enabling "Keyboard Shortcuts" in Lens Manger, then assigning new shortcuts and resaving the lens.

Any lens that has "Keyboard Shortcuts" disabled in Lens Manager inherits shortcut assignments from the master list ("None"), or from the previously selected lens.

This was a great explanation Morten. Having never used Lens before, this has me thinking I may want to investigate them a little further.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, Morten Saether said:

To clarify:

Looks like keyboard shortcuts you want to add for all lenses & "none" should be added with "none" selected in lenses.

20 minutes ago, Twisted Fingers said:

Looks like keyboard shortcuts you want to add for all lenses & "none" should be added with "none" selected in lenses.

Correct. As I mentioned in my previous reply:

"However, if you prefer to always use the same shortcuts regardless of which lens is selected, you should set lenses to "None" before making any global keyboard shortcut assignments."

• Thanks 1

How about an optional purchase of a Cakewalk Sonar version

that can be registered offline with just a serial number, and could coexist

with the Bandlab version?

To me, that ease of use would be well worth $30. I've had an issue on

one of my computers, first installing, and then registering, as mentioned

in a nearby forum topic.

The update sounds epic to me, even though I don't use most daw features.

It speaks well to Sonar being a more solid and enjoyable daw

for years to come, even for a minimalist like me.

Cheers

On 8/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, Morten Saether said:

To clarify:

Yes, this clarification certainly helps a lot when dealing with bindings and lenses, Morten.  Thank you.

I am now going down a road of trying to get a handle on other Key Bindings irregularities that I experience. So, can you tell us this: when we first go to Lenses/None to activate the "master list of global keyboard shortcut assignments" and then open Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts and choose the command to  "Zap all" thereby clearing all key bindings (so the documentation says), why are there still bindings that remain?  And where can we see a list of those??  And I'm not talking about just the basic, reserved ones like Spacebar for Play and such. I am finding certain very specific and obscure bindings that just persist no matter what, even when reassigning keystrokes to other commands, and even when "Zapping all" - even when, in the list of bindings, the keystrokes that are having an effect are notated as "Not assigned" and the command that is instantiated shows no keystroke bound to it....

Sorry if this is confusing. The simple starter questions are, again: What key bindings persist when Lenses/None is chosen and Zap All has been applied?? Why does Zap All not clear these? And whatever those are, do they take precedence over any custom chosen bindings?? Where can we see a list of these???

• Like 1

11 hours ago, winkpain said:

when we first go to Lenses/None to activate the "master list of global keyboard shortcut assignments" and then open Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts and choose the command to  "Zap all" thereby clearing all key bindings (so the documentation says), why are there still bindings that remain?  

The Zap All command only removes your custom shortcut assignments, not the default hard-coded shortcuts. To see a list of default shortcuts, go to Help > Keyboard Shortcuts, or click here.

1 hour ago, Morten Saether said:

The Zap All command only removes your custom shortcut assignments, not the default hard-coded shortcuts. To see a list of default shortcuts, go to Help > Keyboard Shortcuts, or click here.

Interesting!

So, what I am saying is, when "Zapping all" and returning to the default shortcut assignments, there seem to be some bindings that remain that are not represented in the Preferences-Keyboard Shortcuts window. In other words, the keystroke shows as "Unassigned" and nevertheless has a very obvious function.  Specifically, and one that has caused me literally years of confusion until today, is the number keypad NUM 0 key. This is hard-coded to an obscure (to me) "Enhanced editing with keyboard" function that I had never heard of or seen talked about, nor is there even  a corresponding menu item in the menu bar!

I have to say that inadvertently hitting the NUM 0 key, a very easy thing to do, causes profound confusion in regards to cursor behavior when editing clips. This NUM 0 key engages Enhanced Keyboard Editing with no indication other than a secondary cursor line appearing at a track row (and only on one track) location somewhere in the project that can very easily be completely hidden to the user given whatever zoom level or screenset you may be using. And then, being completely oblivious to the fact that you are in keyboard editing mode, the normal cursor no longer behaves as one expects with edits and inserts happening at locations that seem totally random.

Wow, has this driven me nuts! And I'm happy to now know the cause. But... what of this keyboard editing function?  Why no mention in the menus and otherwise no indication of the mode being engaged or not? Why is such an important default keystroke (NUM 0) shown as unassigned??

• Thanks 1

I'm having a problem with the select tool in staff view. Suddenly today it decided to become a move tool instead of a select tool, even though I have the select tool chosen. Sometimes I can get it behave if I am deliberate enough in how I select or lasso notes. Very weird.

Hi Noel - Yes, it's because after editing, there is usually some part selected, and I'm used to de-selecting while I'm playing back. I'll do this after I'm satisfied with my editing while playing back. If I want to play back and keep something selected, I must click on a very tiny area around the timeline.  Also, I don't like having the selected part show in the timeline with the new markers.

Is this configurable ??

Yes you can turn off the click behavior not the selection handles. See the feature overview topic.

Clicking in the Clips pane or bus pane during playback will set the playback position. This allows you to easily audition playback starting from a waveform peak. This behavior can be customized via the new Click Behavior> Set During Playback option in the Track view Options menu. 

Regarding unselecting there are hotkeys to do that. Num-5 or CTRL-Shift-A will deselect.