2019.07 Feedback

Jesse Jost

I recently seem to be having a problem with the vst scanner.  No indication that it is scanning, whether it is in the sandbox or not.  Used to work great.  Now, not so much.   Other DAWs I have have picked up the missing plugs that Cakewalk is not picking up.    Any ideas?

KEY BINDINGS "randomly" not obtaining

I believe this is an issue not just related to this release, but...

I have found that setting custom Key Bindings seem to randomly not remain set through to following sessions despite "Save changes for next session" being ticked on the appropriate Preferences page.  This is true even of previously unassigned, non-default key bindings.

However, exporting my custom profile when I make changes (as I try to always do) and then importing it each time I start a new session is a work-around, but it would be nice to have "Save changes" work...

Updated HELP MODULE info not displaying

I am bringing this submission over from the "Feature Overview" post, as it seems to me to be a bug:

I find that the updated Help Module info is not showing. For example, hovering over Clips or the ProChannel modules cause nothing to be displayed in the Help Module. Other Help texts show as expected.

I received this advice as a possible fix:

"Copy the files from C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module and paste them to the %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module)."

and

"if files are missing from the user directory holding down the SHIFT key while starting CbB should restore them. If the help files are not part of this process, they need to be added. This is the job of partial personalization."

However, I have done the above mentioned file moving, confirming the new file dates copied to the <username> Help Module folder. This, unfortunately, did not correct the issue. Neither did opening CbB while holding the SHIFT key.

Still no added help module text is displaying.

I also notice that IF the Help Module is floating (not docked) AND IF the browser pane is collapsed, the Help Module will not display anything that the cursor hovers over.

19 hours ago, winkpain said:

Updated HELP MODULE info not displaying

I am bringing this submission over from the "Feature Overview" post, as it seems to me to be a bug:

I find that the updated Help Module info is not showing. For example, hovering over Clips or the ProChannel modules cause nothing to be displayed in the Help Module. Other Help texts show as expected.

I received this advice as a possible fix:

"Copy the files from C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module and paste them to the %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module)."

and

"if files are missing from the user directory holding down the SHIFT key while starting CbB should restore them. If the help files are not part of this process, they need to be added. This is the job of partial personalization."

However, I have done the above mentioned file moving, confirming the new file dates copied to the <username> Help Module folder. This, unfortunately, did not correct the issue. Neither did opening CbB while holding the SHIFT key.

Still no added help module text is displaying.

I also notice that IF the Help Module is floating (not docked) AND IF the browser pane is collapsed, the Help Module will not display anything that the cursor hovers over.

If you check the files in C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module, what is the date modified for the file HelpText_EN.dat?

The change for 2019.07 is not to show the ProChannel, but rather if you're on the Inspector, you'll get Help Module info for the EQ plot as shown above the FX Rack. 

On 8/15/2019 at 7:45 AM, Jon Sasor said:

If you check the files in C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Help Module, what is the date modified for the file HelpText_EN.dat?

The change for 2019.07 is not to show the ProChannel, but rather if you're on the Inspector, you'll get Help Module info for the EQ plot as shown above the FX Rack. 

@Jon Sasor  I had this issue taken up with @Morten Saether in a private message. However, it remains unresolved.

My help .dat files are up to date for the latest release, and Morten sent me a .json file to add to the Help Module folder.  I still have the issue of no clip text in the module. I now notice that this is only true on my Windows7 machine. My windows 10 machine has the new clip Help text displaying.

However, on both machines, there is no Help text displayed at all when the module is floating.

6 hours ago, winkpain said:

@Jon Sasor  I had this issue taken up with @Morten Saether in a private message. However, it remains unresolved.

My help .dat files are up to date for the latest release, and Morten sent me a .json file to add to the Help Module folder.  I still have the issue of no clip text in the module. I now notice that this is only true on my Windows7 machine. My windows 10 machine has the new clip Help text displaying.

However, on both machines, there is no Help text displayed at all when the module is floating.

I know Jon and Morten are on the case re clip help text issues, and the floating Help Module issue is also logged and in my queue for the next release hopefully 👍

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 7:45 AM, Jon Sasor said:

My HelpText_EN.dat is not up to date. See attached screen shot. How do I update it.

1663214535_2019-08-18(1).png.06f720d9e5b73375445731975c8c3e9b.png

On 8/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, winkpain said:

KEY BINDINGS "randomly" not obtaining

I believe this is an issue not just related to this release, but...

I have found that setting custom Key Bindings seem to randomly not remain set through to following sessions despite "Save changes for next session" being ticked on the appropriate Preferences page.  This is true even of previously unassigned, non-default key bindings.

However, exporting my custom profile when I make changes (as I try to always do) and then importing it each time I start a new session is a work-around, but it would be nice to have "Save changes" work...

I'm having the same problem.  Is the Export/Import work around the only solution currently available?

50 minutes ago, Twisted Fingers said:

I'm having the same problem.  Is the Export/Import work around the only solution currently available?

@Twisted Fingers This seems to be a bug with using Lenses. The work-around is to switch Lenses to "None" if you don't use Lenses, or if you do use them, go to "Manage Lenses" in the pull-down and make sure that "Keyboard Shortcuts" is checked off. Then have your customized Key Bindings loaded and save your Lens(es) as needed. The custom bindings will now maintain across new sessions.

4 hours ago, winkpain said:

@Twisted Fingers This seems to be a bug with using Lenses. The work-around is to switch Lenses to "None" if you don't use Lenses, or if you do use them, go to "Manage Lenses" in the pull-down and make sure that "Keyboard Shortcuts" is checked off. Then have your customized Key Bindings loaded and save your Lens(es) as needed. The custom bindings will now maintain across new sessions.

Thanks winkpain. Both approaches worked. I guess the bug is that custom key bindings need to be re-created and saved with every lens you create.

Bill