2019.07 Feedback

Jesse Jost

5 hours ago, Blades said:

So I guess what I want to know on the lanes is "can one lane of audio overlap another and have both heard" just like separate tracks or are overlapping regions still treated as "one or the other plays"?

Not a big deal really either way, just trying to understand what is different than just the comping was.

I can hardly remember why I cared that much about layers vs tracks in folders anyway!

Yes, as long as the lanes aren't muted they'll all play together.

When you're comping however, it automatically mutes the other lanes for the selected section. This is very quick & powerful if you're doing comping, but a real pain if you're not, as you then have to manually un-mute the lanes.

That's why the option to remove comping (and other options) from the smart tool is so cool.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:58 PM, Helene Kolpakova said:

And here's another which I finally caught. It's not unique to 2019.07, but annoyed me for years now. Would love to see this fixed.

Short Description: some VSTs get all MIDI ports selected on the corresponding MIDI/Instrument track as a MIDI In port after the track is armed for recording.

Reproduction steps:

1. Insert one of the problematic VST synths in a new project.
  2. Create a corresponding MIDI/Instrument track if not created automatically.
  3. Notice that by default the MIDI In on that track is set to None (Omni).
  4. Arm the track for Recording.

Expected:

Typically, the MIDI In port of the track is then switched to "All Inputs - MIDI Omni"

Observed:

For some synths several MIDI ports are selected at the same time which looks like this

image.png.c1ae677e5f3a311aead6c6d97a1dbce0.png

Known VSTs affected: 

• All NI synths (Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 are especially hurting in that regard)
  • Adam Szabo's JP6K and Viper
  • TAL U-no-LX-V2
  • chipsounds (but chipspeech is fine)
  • AudioRealism ABL3, ADM (but ReDominator is fine)
  • Novation V-Station
  • Cakewalk z3ta+

VST known to work fine:

• LennarDigital Sylenth
  • Reveal Audio Spire
  • U-he Diva, Repro-1, Repro-5
  • AAS synths
  • Xfer Serum
  • Cableguys Curve 2
  • Cakewalk Z3TA+2

This behaviour is consistent on my machine, i.e. it survives reboots, CbB restarts, is independent of the project and project template.

Also while testing, I noticed that SonicProjects OP-X PRO II crashes CbB on insert - it's working totally fine in Komplete Kontrol though. But KK is affected by the weird MIDI Input ports issue.

I get this too. Follow the same steps as Helene reported, e.g. I insert Kontakt, arm record and my inputs then switch to this (see attached image). I always have to remember to double check the inputs or I end up with all sorts of weirdness after recording a take (e.g. doubled up recorded notes and clips etc.)

multiple_inputs.jpg

• Like 2

@msmcleod next chance I have to check this I will .  Again, I am not really sure why I care anymore about it, but there was something I preferred about the workflow and if now it can work like comping or layers depending on how I want to work, this could matter to me.

I am still struggling coming back to cakewalk, having gotten pretty comfortable with studio one and having the 4.5 pro version, but there are things about cw that I miss, like sound on sound recording, ability to set different punch and loop regions, etc.  There are a lot of things in studio one too that I prefer, like more complete integration with faderport 8 and presonus sound card, and many other things.  Each has its strengths.

Thanks for the info.

I just noticed this today. I'm running the very latest hotfix (2019 07 build 79). It used to be when I was editing audio and wanted to make a cut, I'd hit the F8 key until the editing cursor changed to a "scissors" symbol.  Now the symbol does not change, until I move the cursor  just slightly.  Generally speaking, any changes to the editing mode via the F8 key do not immediately reflect in the cursor style. But they used to. A bug? Or have I set something wrong?

After the latest update, I'm having an issue where Fabfilter Q3 does not respond graphically to automation; the automation actually works within the DAW (i.e. the sound changes when, for instance, a band is activated via automation), but when the plugin window is open, the automated change doesn't register (so in this case the band would LOOK LIKE it was still disabled). I'm running the latest hotfix on a Windows 10 machine (version 1903) with an NVIDIA graphics card updated to latest version (in case that matters). I've had no such issues in previous versions of Cakewalk.

Otherwise, everything has been stable for me so far. I really appreciate Bandlab and all it has done for us Cakewalk users. Thank you!!

(2019 07 build 79) Liking the update!!

Frozen track (numerous clips) > Time Inserted to project ( ex 1 measure) All this was done several weeks ago. 

Today: Unfreeze track> underlying data is now displaced; not reflecting the additional time that was inserted.

1. Was this always the behavior and I just never encountered it?

or

product of recent update?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

Yep, this was always the case. When you unfreeze, it returns the track to the state it was in before you froze it, the side effect of that is any work you've done on the frozen track gets discarded.

Got it. Guess I never ran across a situation when a clip was moved on the timeline prior to an unfreeze.  I could make a case that the resulting frozen audio and the underlying data should both move when time was inserted...but the bakers disagree :)  Thanks for the clarification.

It's a tricky one. On one hand I agree - the track is frozen and you're able to manipulate it, cut it up, add effects on the clip level... it's more or less like a standard WAV clip in that sense, so you'd expect it to respect the edits once it's unfrozen.

However, if you think about it, this would be a logistical nightmare to do. 

Imagine you've frozen a drum track - a MIDI track feeding into VSTi. You do all of your edits on the frozen track and then decide that you want to unfreeze it to change the snare sample. What happens to the MIDI data? Does it make new data from scratch or try to extrapolate what you want to do? 

Or another situation would be freezing something that has a degree of random or externally modified controllers in the effects. That track + effects would be basically locked off in the state they were in when you hit the freeze button. If you unfreeze it, what should the track do with it then? If there was a random element, it would now sound different.  I'm sure there's plenty of other better examples than these.

The variables you'd need to take into account to make unfrozen tracks respect the edits on their frozen states would be enormous or impossible, so I definitely understand the decision to just go "welp, you froze it at X state, go back to the last thing it did before then."

Today I was working on a song and it was fine. I then left for 5 min and came back and hit the spacebar, I saw the "not responding" message at the top. Then playback started after about 5 sec. I hit stop and it stopped right away. 

Hit spacebar and same 5 sec pause. I closed CbB and double clicked the CWP and the same thing happened with the pausing and "not responding". I rebooted the computer and it was ok after that. 

Anyone else see this?

9 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

the side effect of that is any work you've done on the frozen track gets discarded

This is intended behavior. And at first I thought that it should respect the changes made to the frozen trk. However, as time went on I saw that the state in which the trk was frozen is the state it returns to, has tremendous benefits.

Allows you to save a state of the trk, then drag the frozen audio to a new trk, manipulate the heck out of it, and then, like LT says, if you want/need to change a certain aspect of it, then you still have that original version!! This benefit may not be realized until many months have passed, even years!

13 hours ago, Sailor55 said:

I'd hit the F8 key until the editing cursor changed to a "scissors" symbol.  Now the symbol does not change, until I move the cursor  just slightly

Yes I am seeing this too. I use the Alt key shortcut to do splits on the fly and the cursor will not change until I move it slightly while holding the Alt key. It use to be if my cursor was on a clip and I pressed the Alt key, the cursor would instantly change.

And since you and I are both seeing the same thing, but doing it in different ways, I would say it's a bug! A very minor one, but a bug nonetheless!! : )

6 minutes ago, Grem said:

This is intended behavior. And at first I thought that it should respect the changes made to the frozen trk. However, as time went on I saw that the state in which the trk was frozen is the state it returns to, has tremendous benefits.

Allows you to save a state of the trk, then drag the frozen audio to a new trk, manipulate the heck out of it, and then, like LT says, if you want/need to change a certain aspect of it, then you still have that original version!! This benefit may not be realized until many months have passed, even years!

What I tend to do with frozen tracks is:

1. Freeze the track
  2. Copy (CTRL + SHIFT + drag) the frozen audio to another audio track
  3. Unfreeze the original track, and archive it (press the "A" button)

This gives you maximum flexibility as:

• You can do what you like with your frozen copy without affecting anything else
  • You can unarchive the original, change things and re-freeze all without affecting your frozen copy
  • While archived, the original takes up no CPU and very little RAM (i.e. effects aren't loaded, if the VST had samples on it, they aren't loaded etc)

What I do Mark is Freeze the trk and Archive it. This way if years later (it's happened) the software I used on that trk is no longer available, I still have that frozen trk. Un-Archive it and you can look to see what's in it as far as fx. Then I can make the decision to unfreeze or not.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Walter Treppler and @btbrock I understand where you are coming from. We thought a lot about this change because we understand that muscle memory can be hard to relearn. 

However one of the basic workflow's during playback is seeking visually to time positions and previously it required shifting your focus away from where you are looking at the clip to set the time. i.e. imagine you are trying to playback and jump to a peak in the waveform to audition from that point, you now have to travel all the way to the time ruler to set the time which can also be distracting.

We have made a small change to help accomodate your workflow better. CTRL clicking will no longer set the time so you can ctrl click in white space and it will clear the selection. Alternatively you can do what btrock suggested and right click lasso whitespace to clear. If you still hate it after trying it out let us know.

No Way! No Friggin' Way. YOU GUYS ARE JUST AWESOME! A software company that actually LISTENS to its users AND makes changes to its program?

I am beyond ecstatic!

Thank you very, very, much.  I tried and tried to get the previous owners to fix ripple editing years ago and it fell on deaf ears. Even Craig Anderton tried to justify them not fixing it (much to my dismay). I think you guys finally fixed ripple edit when you took over.

Thanks again.

Wally

(user since the early '80s)

Edited by Walter Treppler
change punctuation

9 hours ago, gmp said:

Today I was working on a song and it was fine. I then left for 5 min and came back and hit the spacebar, I saw the "not responding" message at the top. Then playback started after about 5 sec. I hit stop and it stopped right away. 

Hit spacebar and same 5 sec pause. I closed CbB and double clicked the CWP and the same thing happened with the pausing and "not responding". I rebooted the computer and it was ok after that. 

Anyone else see this?

I have seen this with my RME device - which audio interface are you using? 
I havent had the time to investigate further but essentially after a suspend and resume of the system the audio interface driver is getting into a start where starting is causing this long delay. Restarting cakewalk which reloads the driver seems to fix it. There may be a workaround we can do but I haven't investigated it yet.

I have seen this happens in prior Cakewalk versions btw. Its not new to this release.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCMG said:

Got it. Guess I never ran across a situation when a clip was moved on the timeline prior to an unfreeze.  I could make a case that the resulting frozen audio and the underlying data should both move when time was inserted...but the bakers disagree :)  Thanks for the clarification.

Freezing a track freezes the state of the original data as well as the plugin states. When you unfreeze it restores it.

Technically you shouldn't be normally editing frozen tracks :) We allow it so people can do stuff like edit the frozen data if they want to but on unfreeze it is supposed to restore the original state, just like a backup.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:30 PM, Blades said:

So I guess what I want to know on the lanes is "can one lane of audio overlap another and have both heard" just like separate tracks or are overlapping regions still treated as "one or the other plays"?

Not a big deal really either way, just trying to understand what is different than just the comping was.

I can hardly remember why I cared that much about layers vs tracks in folders anyway!

Yes...

I'm not sure of comp mode, but in sound on sound...

Edited by Keni

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

What I tend to do with frozen tracks is:

1.  Freeze the track
  2. Copy (CTRL + SHIFT + drag) the frozen audio to another audio track
  3. Unfreeze the original track, and archive it (press the "A" button)

I like to make a new track and name it, then bounce to track to the track I just created. Then I archive and hide the original.  Skips the step of having to unfreeze. (Unfreeze will sometimes flip the phase button out of phase)

10 minutes ago, Keni said:
  On 8/6/2019 at 9:30 PM, Blades said:

Click the top half of a clip in a take  lane and press K to unmute it.  You can have as many lanes playing as you like.

I do wish layers were still available after freezing like back in the X1 days so I could freeze and then still edit with the lanes without having to bounce to track or drag copy.

16 hours ago, Herschel Shepard said:

After the latest update, I'm having an issue where Fabfilter Q3 does not respond graphically to automation; the automation actually works within the DAW (i.e. the sound changes when, for instance, a band is activated via automation), but when the plugin window is open, the automated change doesn't register (so in this case the band would LOOK LIKE it was still disabled). I'm running the latest hotfix on a Windows 10 machine (version 1903) with an NVIDIA graphics card updated to latest version (in case that matters). I've had no such issues in previous versions of Cakewalk.

Otherwise, everything has been stable for me so far. I really appreciate Bandlab and all it has done for us Cakewalk users. Thank you!!

@Herschel ShepardI'm not seeing this. Are you sure that you don't have automation read disabled accidentally?