Project load issue in 2019.07

pax-eterna

Just restarted Windows and Sonar 3 times...each time same result! I can start new projects, even import audio from existing projects but it just keeps freezing when I try to load an existing project - standard CWP stuff....was working on them juts three or four hours ago. There is something in this update that just broke something....I havhe no idea what!

Might need a little more exploration.

Do projects open in safe mode? Hold the SHIFT key while opening a project in Cakewalk by BandLab (BTW SONAR is no more). May be plug-in related, may be something else. Hard to say with the info provided.

Nope still freezes...tried selective loading of plugins, loading all, loading none...nothing makes a difference. The first time on probably 10-12 years I have run a Cakewalk update and this has happened!

Basically I am screwed! As with this new system I cannot roll back or do anything - totally f@#cked 👿

Here's another one for you - Just tried opening the default Basic Project - same thing...Tried loading new Empty Project same thing - these are the Sonar default templates I am trying to load. I have three projects that need to be completed by Friday this week...

I can confirm this.  I attempted to open many projects done in a previous build.  Many would not open in CbB 2019.7 Build 70.

The way it manifests is as follows: 

The project attempts the open but eventually CbB stops responding with the mouse displaying an hour glass.  No error messages were displayed.  Eventully I got the Program has stopped responding.  I had to end the process using Task Manager.  No dump file was generated. The Application event viewer yeilded an Exception code: 0xc0000005 error, Faulting module name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 25.7.0.70

I reverted to 2019.7 Early Release 2 (CbB 2019.7 Build 65 )and the projects were able to be opened.

The way I reverted was as followed.

I restored the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core contents to the state in was Last Friday from my backup.  After doing this, I ran CbB to confirm the actual resultant version in Help | About.  For me this was now Early Release 1 (build 55)

I edited the Windows registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core and changed the ProductVersion value to 25.07.0.55.  You need to do this, otherwise, the ER2 installer will not update.

I am now on 2019.7 Early Release 2 and can open all previous projects.

I am going to have to concur with the OP and hold off Build 70 until this can be resolved.

13 minutes ago, Ludwig Bouwer said:

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I just opened a 125 track mix with a zillion plugins on it and it runs fine. 

What is your OS and OS Build number?  Mine is Windows 10 Pro OS Build 18362.267

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Windows 8.1 X64 Using latest build and I am able to open projects without issue.

Possibly you can upload one of your older projects that you cant open and give others a chance to see if they can.

I have actually lodged a support ticket with Cakewalk Support.  I included a copy of a complete project file where this issue manifest for them to have a look at.  I also exported an MSinfo32 report and sent that as well.

• Like 1

This is why I don't jump right on to updating.  I wait to see if there are any complications like this.  I did run it on my spare PC in my bedroom but not yet on my music PC.  I have a small project which I'm just starting with only a few bars written in Scaler and EZ Keys on the bedroom PC.  Works fine, but as I said, it's only about 5 bars so far.  I won't update the music PC until this is solved.

😀JB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pax-eterna said:

Here's another one for you - Just tried opening the default Basic Project - same thing...Tried loading new Empty Project same thing - these are the Sonar default templates I am trying to load. I have three projects that need to be completed by Friday this week...

This is a long shot, but I think I may have found the workaround - at least I hope this will enable you to load your projects with Build 70

This worked on my system.

1) Open up Cakewalk By Bandlab and before opening a project exhibiting the issue, go to Preferences | MIDI | Devices and deselect all MIDI in devices, then click OK.

2) Now you should be able to open your project - hopefully it should open.

3) With the project still open, go to Preferences | MIDI | Devices and select all MIDI in devices as they were before, then click OK.  In my case it was just the PCR-800 in.

4) Select all of the MIDI tracks only in your project (Don't miss any)

5) Change all inputs of these selected MIDI tracks to your actual controller (I set mine to PCR-800 Channel 1).  Note: Hold down CTRL while changing a selected MID track's input and all of the selected MIDI tracks should change.

6) Save your project under a different name.

7) Exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, and then reopen.

8 ) Open your project file you just saved.

Hopefully it will open.

I think the issue was caused by any MIDI tracks where their inputs were set to "All Inputs" rather than a specific one.

The Bakers will still need to look into this but at least this may enable you to open your three projects.

Note: This issue even occurred on mine when I only had MIDI tracks with no data in the tracks.  I was able to open the problematic project files by performing the above steps

I hope this helps.

Edited by Promidi
Accidently pressed return

• Jesse Jost changed the title to Project load issue in 2019.07