2019.07 appears to be available

15 minutes ago, pax-eterna said:

I'd hold off - it just killed my Sonar instal...No projects will open now..it just hangs at the project load. App opens okay but won't go any further!

Works fine with me here. 

Try making a new project with the Normal template.

If you might be using a particular plug which is common in all your projects might be suspect. 

I don't know if I should try this or not. I'm using an old version, from April 2018. I've updated and found it not to be as stable, so I rolled back. One of my concerns is that, since I plan top stay with Windows 7 forever, newer versions may not work as well, as the devs will no doubt be focusing on Windows 10.

Also, I don't know how I would even be able to try it as my version is so old.

Edited by mdiemer

9 hours ago, mdiemer said:

I don't know if I should try this or not. I'm using an old version, from April 2018. I've updated and found it not to be as stable, so I rolled back. One of my concerns is that, since I plan top stay with Windows 7 forever, newer versions may not work as well, as the devs will no doubt be focusing on Windows 10.

Also, I don't know how I would even be able to try it as my version is so old.

We've been continuing to put additional stability fixes in every update, so I'd be very surprised if the original 2018.04 release build was working better. There have been numerous optimizations and fixes in the past year+. 

Beware staying with Windows 7 forever, Microsoft is ending their support for it in January 2020.

We've managed to isolate the problem preventing projects from opening in this update and will be issuing a hotfix for it soon, but the temporary workaround is to disable the "Allow Only One Project Open At a Time" setting in the Preferences (which is not on by default). 

• Like 1

Thanks Jonathon. The problem with the updated version (I forget which one it was but it was quite recent) was that it would simply freeze and I would need to restart.

I am aware of W7 EOL in January. I plan to keep my music rig offline after that. I actually do that now, going online only occasionally. I use Linux for everyday web stuff. The only problem will be when I need to download something. I'll just have to risk it. Could do it in virtual box inside Linux, that would be totally safe.

Many people plan to stay with W7. And even go online routinely with it. most of security comes down to being careful where you go and what you click. Many folks ares still using XP. Entire businesses!

Also, I'm in my late 60's and I probably will only be doing music another 10 years or so. I'll just make do with what I have. The days of keeping up with the Jones's are over for me.

Well, I got curious, decided to see what was up. I downloaded latest Bandlab Assistant, just to see what Cakewalk version would be available, and somehow I installed it. I can tell because there is more color. I was actually using it before I knew I had updated. So far it seems to be running fine. If it continues, so much the better. I always hoped that at Windows 7 EOL in January, that I would have the latest Cakewalk version, to take that into the future as I continue using W7, but offline for safety. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by mdiemer

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's eight days later and I had to roll back to the old April 2018 version. I could not open any cakewalk projects, or even Cakewalk alone.  Nothing would open. No error messages or any kind of feedback, just nothing happened when I tried to open.  I guess I'll continue with the old version, as long as it keeps working.

30 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

Well it's eight days later and I had to roll back to the old April 2018 version. I could not open any cakewalk projects, or even Cakewalk alone.  Nothing would open. No error messages or any kind of feedback, just nothing happened when I tried to open.  I guess I'll continue with the old version, as long as it keeps working.

Did you also install the 2019.7 Build 79 hot fix? 

The old April 2018 version "may work",  but there have been many bug fixes and enhancements since then.  I could not imagine going back to April 2018.

Did you contact Bandlab support?

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

While I am not doubting you had issues, I have been updating Cakewalk by Bandlab with every update.  The only major issue I had was with Build 70 in that old projects would not load.  Cakewalk released a hot fix to fix this issue. 

Currently we are at Build 79. To date, this is the most stable version yet.

I am willing to try again. If I download the latest version, will it include the hot fix, or do I have to add that in after?

Also, the only enhancement that actually benefited me was the track name being colored. It does help in finding the instruments you want when you have 40-50- midi inst's going. I don't do audio, and I'm guessing that most new features and such are geared toward audio/live users, vocals, etc. 

3 hours ago, mdiemer said:

I could not open any cakewalk projects, or even Cakewalk alone.

Not sure this solution will work for you, but I have used it several times when I can't launch Cakewalk from any location:  See if there are any "leftover" BandLab Assistant or Cakewalk Application processes in Task Manager. If you have any, your might want to wait to see if they end on their own and try relaunching when they are done. I have only recently started with the new Cakewalk and cannot even guess as to why there would be leftover processes or if something would be lost if processes were killed prematurely.

At one point, it seemed that after a software/audio crash, might have caused the leftover processes while Windows Error Reporting did its thing.

Again, I am not an expert; just sharing an observation.  I'd be happy to hear from others with more detailed knowledge on this.

Steve

47 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

I am willing to try again. If I download the latest version, will it include the hot fix, or do I have to add that in after?

Also, the only enhancement that actually benefited me was the track name being coloured. It does help in finding the instruments you want when you have 40-50- midi inst's going. I don't do audio, and I'm guessing that most new features and such are geared toward audio/live users, vocals, etc. 

Build 79 will be installed using Bandlab Assistant.  I also do extensive 16 track MIDI only editing and there have even been enhancements in this area (Mainly with multi track editing on a single PRV window)