Working from the keyboard. Hotkeys for editing Envelopes and notes in Riano Roll

Asato Maa

Many DAWs (Cubase, Ableton, Studio One, Reaper, Bitwig) have convenient functions for working with midi and envelopes from the computer keyboard or a laptop.

Many tasks can be implemented from the keyboard (via hot keys), and not just with the mouse.

Those who have experience with these DAWs understand what I mean.
I don't write orchestral music 😅 but already at this stage I am faced with the fact that I have to make a lot of mouse movements to edit midi and envelopes. And it really slows down the workflow.

Editing the piano part in the new composition took me a very long time 🙄

I propose to discuss and implement several features.

1. Working with the notes by keyboard in the Piano Roll.

Switch to editing the next or previous note in the Piano Roll. Lengthen or shorten a note. Combining groups of notes and working with them from the keyboard.
There are no such functions in CakeWalk.
You have to make a lot of mouse movements and spend a lot of time working with the midi part.

2. Working with envelopes with the keyboard

Working with envelopes in Cakewalk is also available only with the mouse, although it would be extremely convenient to mark points and then work with these envelopes from the keyboard (raise, lower, move right or left).
Here, too, you have to make a lot of mouse movements and spend a lot of time working with automation.

I don't want to use other DAWs, so I want my favorite program to become better and more convenient! 🔥

Dear developers! Can these additions be planned for future releases?

Dear colleagues, I ask you to support my proposals so that it can enter the next releases!

Edited by Asato Maa
  • Like 2

Hi:)

I have CAL S ripts set to Shortcuts for this:

Select next/previous note (TAB and Shift TAB, no CAL)

Move note left/right

Move note up/down

Lengthen/shorten note

Velocity +-

Insert notes

All for Grid or ticks. I can load them up tomorrow or look at:

If you download all,in the CAL Directory are the corresponding files!

Greetz;)

Bassman

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 3:12 AM, Heinz Hupfer said:

All for Grid or ticks. I can load them up tomorrow

Greetz ;)

Bassman

Hello, dear friend!

Thank you for information! I opened the link but can't understand where the script is ))

Can you send it here, please?

Edited by Asato Maa

HI:)

I hope I can find all scripts. Cause of a lot Midi Glitches and Problems with PRV, which are not reproducable I switched to Reaper last summer and not working with CbB at the moment, but stay in Forum for sure, CbB was my beloved DAW the last 30 years:)

OK, let's see, Move Notes Up/Down and Left/Right you can do with the NUMPAD! As far as I can see I deleted the Insert Note Script, but it's very easy to write it over the weekend!

I attach the other scripts and load many other scripts into my cloud!

The Problem in CbB is that CAL sometimes work and sometimes not, that's like Transformtool to stretch midi ccs in the PRV and working with CC Lanes, they will only sometimes work:(

I have all functions on my Midi Controller, but I have to take a look how I did it, I'm sure I can change the length from the notes on grid basis....

Here the link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al2mKojzOW0Mk51-R-Da9Wrjq4QTxQ?e=hHoB40

Attached also the PRV Mode(PDF)ParPl-8 - PRVMode (Pre1-B1).pdf from my Controller where all functions are listed, so we can find the scripts for sure! MOve notes on grid is made with NUMPAD arrows (Nudge, set up in CbB settings, Nudge Settings, I set one to Grid(Snap))

Greetz;)

Bassman.

P.S. Here it is the Insert Note CAL (insert From 1 NOTE 36 100 960) . Inserts a Note at Edit Cursor with Midi Channel 1,s Note Number 36, C3, Velocity 100 and quarter length at Timebase 960) With this CAL it will be easy to insert other notes with different Note Numbers and different lengths and give the CAL a Shortcut!Insert_Note.cal

EDIT: UPS instead of From it should be written Now for the Now Time, From is the From time, Thru the Thru Time.Insert_Note.cal

Note_Length.cal Note_Length_+10.cal Note_Length_-10.cal Transpose +12.cal Transpose -12.cal Velocity +1.cal Velocity +3.cal Velocity -1.cal Velocity -3.cal LEGATO.CAL

Insert_A#3.cal Insert_A3.cal Insert_B3.cal Insert_C#3.cal Insert_C3.cal Insert_C4.cal Insert_D#3.cal Insert_E3.cal Insert_F#3.cal Insert_F3.cal Insert_G#3.cal Insert_G3.cal

Insert_D3.cal

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 4