instrument definition file edit with custom sounds

Hi, good afternoon, guys from the cakewalk by bandlab forum, I would like to know, using images, how to edit the instrument definition file, with custom sounds from my psr s670, that is, other than the preset part, it would be the timbres of the user expansion part, Someone with a good heart to help me, I really appreciate it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you already have an instrument definition for the psr s670 and you just want to edit it to include the names of presets from an expansion.  In different gear from a different manufacturer I used to edit my own *.ins files to include different banks of sounds.  This involved using notepad to type the names in and making sure I have the right LSB and MSB for the bank switching assignments.  For my gear, user presets were always loaded into memory which was bank 0.  Each expansion sound ROM had its own bank switching address.  Either the user manual for the psr s670 or the MIDI manual should tell you what bank switching method it uses.

• Like 1

The instrument definition file is just basically a list of names. On custom banks you just have to type them.  

I do not exactly understand. This->
“it would be the timbres of the user expansion part”

or the part about  “images”.

Please explain. 

• Like 1

I looked at the manual and at the Expansion Manager software guide.  If the Expansion Manager software will generate a text file for the presets in the expansion pack you have, you could cut and paste that into the *.ins file for the  psr s670,  If the Expansion Manager software doesn't export a list of the preset names, you might have to type them in yourself.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in the guide that mentioned generating a list of the preset names.

I did see in the update list that evidently you can change the LSB for your own banks.  That would be useful information for editing the psr s670 instrument definition file to include names of the user presets.

; -------------------------------------------
; MAIN INFORMATION
; Cakewalk Instrument Definition File
; Yamaha PSR-S670 Arranger Workstation
; ; -------------------------------------------

.Patch Names

; GM/XG Voice List - MSB=0

[GM/XG Bank 0]

I am not sure of how Yamahas do bank switching, but I'd guess that where the instrument definition  says Bank n, n = the LSB.  Unfortunately, I have not been able figure out what the MSB should be for the expansion pack presets.  Maybe you can figure that out by tweaking a preset and looking in the psr s670 to see where it is.

I will be happy to defer to others who are familiar with Yamahas.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am pretty technical but I am sure confused when it comes to creating instrument definitions. I use them and cakewalk but I have a unit that does not have an instrument definition file for it. It is the TC helicon live play guitar and I use the banks to change Harmony parts. I would be willing to pay someone or be indebted to someone who would build me an instrument definition chart for this TC helicon unit and help me out! My name is John.  256-468-4233

On 3/5/2023 at 10:36 AM, Pedro V12 said:

I would like to know, using images, how to edit the instrument definition file, with custom sounds

Editing, creating, deleting information, in your Cakewalk Master Definitions file is fairly easy, and definitely explained/searchable in the documentation (though it skips around a bit).  -Another good post here shows some of that nicely:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/65785-instrument-definition-file-for-yamaha-dx7ii-or-tx-802/&do=findComment&comment=469320

Editing is the easiest. Creating your own takes a bit of work, and of course the information on what your note mapping, and/or any banks/patches may need to be, but if all else fails, you can usually read the patch information in your device & type it in in Cakewalk.