Way Out Here

steve@baselines.com

On 3/5/2023 at 3:56 AM, PavlovsCat said:

Wow, great job on the songwriting and performance.  It's really creative and especially because of the harmonies it has a Utopia vibe - and I mean that in a very positive sense (I'm a big Todd Rundgren / Utopia fan).  Kudos. 

Wow thank you!  I never got to see Utopia, but I saw Todd by himself one time.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:36 AM, Marshall said:

I love this. I’m getting Fairport Convention and Lindisfarne, how fantastic. Beautifully played, sung and produced too, great job. 

Thank you Marshall.  When I used to gig, people would mention Fairport Convention to us once in a while - I guess it is an influence on me!

Nice guitar work.

Yeugh - slide rules - I never understood how to use that wretched thing (still don't). I still have my original one up in the loft and thought, that must be worth a few quid after nearly fifty years. 🤔

It was too - circa £3.50!

So much for my retirement heirloom 😂

Anyway, I digress, really nice job on the song.

Andy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Thank you Marshall.  When I used to gig, people would mention Fairport Convention to us once in a while - I guess it is an influence on me!

It’s funny, I get “Jethro Tull” mentioned more than any other band when they hear my stuff. It’s not deliberate, but those influences are deeply embedded! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, steve@baselines.com said:

Wow thank you!  I never got to see Utopia, but I saw Todd by himself one time.

Same here. I would be interested in learning about your influences. I would have guessed Todd is one, of course, maybe even Zappa. Your song was really creative.  It was definitely not a stock, paint by numbers kind of song.  BTW, I went through some of your songs and found your cover of "I'll Be Around" was absolutely superb. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:14 AM, AndyB01 said:

Nice guitar work.

Yeugh - slide rules - I never understood how to use that wretched thing (still don't). I still have my original one up in the loft and thought, that must be worth a few quid after nearly fifty years. 🤔

It was too - circa £3.50!

So much for my retirement heirloom 😂

Anyway, I digress, really nice job on the song.

Andy

🙂  I picked up my old slide rule a couple of weeks ago (inherited from my dad) and tried to remember how it worked.  COuldn't even do a simple multiplication any more.  The placing of the decimal point was always difficult for me.  A little before the calculators became affordable, I got a circular slide rule that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:15 AM, Marshall said:

It’s funny, I get “Jethro Tull” mentioned more than any other band when they hear my stuff. It’s not deliberate, but those influences are deeply embedded! 

That's for sure!  Most of us probably learned the same way ... from the bands we admired.  I know I did.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, PavlovsCat said:

Same here. I would be interested in learning about your influences. I would have guessed Todd is one, of course, maybe even Zappa. Your song was really creative.  It was definitely not a stock, paint by numbers kind of song.  BTW, I went through some of your songs and found your cover of "I'll Be Around" was absolutely superb. 

I'd have to say my main influences were The Beatles, Steely Dan, E-Street Band, Elton John and some early Chicago.  Anything early 70's probably influenced me the most.  Thank you for the note about I'll Be Around - that was a great song!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:40 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by outer space - I guess I still am today.

if you, like me, are old as dirt and went to college for engineering of some sort.

https://baselines.com/?p=6756

That's a pretty good tune! Reminds me of a band I like - just can't figure out which.

I was (still am) fascinated with space also. As for the age thing, well, I was 9 when my dad, grandfather and I watched Neil land on the moon . . .

Again, Great tune!

• Like 1