Problems with video playback

Marius M.

Hello, fellow Cakewalkers!

Am I the only one experiencing problems with video playback? The video is imported without any issues and so is the audio associated with the video, but the actual video footage doesn't render in the video view. Sometimes it will show the first frame, but the moment I hit play, it's completely black and only playing back audio. The Animate option is checked and I've tried all sorts of different formats of video. Same behaviour all around.

When I open the Video properties in the video view the tab for Video quality is missing. I've tried to setup the default video renderer in the INI file, but it still defaults to the Media Foundation engine, even though I tried setting up the DirectShow engine.

Is this a bug or am I missing something here? I'm trying to do some scoring and this is quite annoying.

Problems with video usually come down to having proper codecs accessible. Windows 7 came with lots of modern codecs. Since then, very few. Video features haven't changed much since then.

If you have the capacity to convert the Video file type, give that a try... Then import again. You will hate this, but wmv might work.

Edited by Gswitz

9 hours ago, Gswitz said:

Problems with video usually come down to having proper codecs accessible. Windows 7 came with lots of modern codecs. Since then, very few. Video features haven't changed much since then.

If you have the capacity to convert the Video file type, give that a try... Then import again. You will hate this, but wmv might work.

Hello, Gswitz! Well, of course it's down to codecs. :) And as I pointed out in my previous post, I have already tried different formats, AVI and WMV included. Same behaviour with all of them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The video playback is not rendering in realtime in the view area.

I also have the same issue like Marius using any video format.  Additional to Marius note:

While stopped and moving around the timeline, the video changes to the corresponding frame acordly, but while in playback, the video freezes at the last displayed frame (it doesn't move), no matter the video file format/codec.

Any ideas?

Edited by NICOLAS JOSE NYERGES M

On 7/30/2019 at 5:19 AM, Marius M. said:

Hello, Gswitz! Well, of course it's down to codecs. :) And as I pointed out in my previous post, I have already tried different formats, AVI and WMV included. Same behaviour with all of them.

Mario, have you solved something?

I also try to export to a new Cakewalk created video and then imported back with the same result (plays a couple frames and then it freezes)

Edited by NICOLAS JOSE NYERGES M