Who's Using ReWire with CbB?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'd like to ask some help related to Sibelius First and CbB. I was trying to see how ReWire works and inserted SF in one track. I was tweaking a bit and on a moment I couldn't close CbB because of an error message related to the ReWire SF track. So I forced the shutdown and didn't try that again.

However when I open Sibelius First there's an error message related to audio device but I couldn't fix it. Also when I try to playback a project it won't play anymore.

Does someone has seen this before?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mgustavo

Hi, I'd like to update my post as I read some articles by C Anderton about Cakewalk and ReWire technology and I saw I didn't insert Sibelius First correctly at the first time. 
I guess I tried to insert it as an Instrument Track and also didn't check Suspend audio engine when Cakewalk is not in focus . So I tried again observing the articles' recommendations, and everything is back to normality! 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently switched from Cakewalk to Studio One 5.
Because I had the full Sonar Platinum, most VTS appear to work in Studio One, but I use Hauptwerk Organ software, and this just can't work properly with Studio One because of the unique way Studio One handles MIDI.  Everything is fine except that I can't manipulate (record/replay) organ stop piston settings.
I'd hoped REWIRE would enable me to link Cakewalk to Studio One, but sadly it doesn't seem to, so I'm a bit buggered really.

I'll have to use Cakewalk whenever I want a project that uses the organ and other VSTS, and Studio ONe for everything else. - A REAL BORE.

.....unless anyone has any bright ideas that is....

On 8/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, Norman Young said:

I've recently switched from Cakewalk to Studio One 5.
Because I had the full Sonar Platinum, most VTS appear to work in Studio One, but I use Hauptwerk Organ software, and this just can't work properly with Studio One because of the unique way Studio One handles MIDI.  Everything is fine except that I can't manipulate (record/replay) organ stop piston settings.

I use both Cakewalk and Studio One. Which version of Studio One are you using? Version 5 added dedicated keyswitching and poly aftertouch editing, if your issues relate to those. I've yet to run across an instrument that won't play in Studio One if it can play in Cakewalk.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2020 at 4:59 PM, mgustavo said:

Hi, I'd like to update my post as I read some articles by C Anderton about Cakewalk and ReWire technology and I saw I didn't insert Sibelius First correctly at the first time. 
I guess I tried to insert it as an Instrument Track and also didn't check Suspend audio engine when Cakewalk is not in focus . So I tried again observing the articles' recommendations, and everything is back to normality! 🙂

Where are these articles by Craig about Cakewalk and ReWire??

I too have been trying to get CbB to work with ReWire and Sibelius (Ultimate) and am having no luck...

...Yes, those articles, although a little old, do help refresh my memory on using ReWire.  I had gotten Sibelius to work with ReWire/Cakewalk in the past and could not now figure out why it no longer worked.

One important thing to remember, and what caught me off guard this time, is that you must untick the setting in Preferences/Audio/Playback and Recording that is called "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus" This is a newly worded setting that used to be "Share Drivers with Other Programs" and is still mentioned as such in the CW Knowledge Base article for setting up ReWire.

I had been looking for what I remembered as the "Share drivers..." version of the setting and took me a bit to figure out (because I kept overlooking it) that "Suspend Audio..." is just another way of saying the same thing.

Anyway, that is what did it for me! I am recording this here in case anyone else stumbles on this thread looking to get ReWire working.

This combined with using loopMIDI virtual cables really ups the game for me. Sibelius can then be used as the "Staff view"/Notation page where I can compose in my preferred Sibelius which then drives those MIDI notes into CW where I then assign the sounds and can have MIDI changes and automation and such controlled in the familiar way within CW. The best of both worlds!

• Like 2