Per Project Audio

dantarbill

Question

(Using SPlat version 23.10.0 build 14 [2017.10] x64)

Per Project Audio has done what it is supposed to do for years.  However, it has now taken a weird turn...

I've started a project from a template...

• From the Cakewalk Start Screen, select New Project
  • From there, I select a template (not the typical default Normal template).
  • Note that it doesn't ask me for a filename (with the associated audio folder path).  It just opens an Untitled Project.
  • Subsequently, any audio you add to the project gets stored in the global audio dump

X2 documentation says you could enable this in Preferences/File/Audio Data

Project/Audio Files... merely tells you what the file path is but doesn't offer a way to change it.

Is there a way to mitigate this without starting over?

4 answers to this question

The option to copy the audio happens when saving and naming the project.

The per-project switch was removed after X2 and was the default in Platinum. Because the start screen does not prompt for a name like Project > New from the menu, the per-project folder creation is deferred to when the project is named. Of course, this also leaves it up to the user to clean up the global audio folder. To avoid this, name the project immediately. This will create the appropriate audio folder.

If the untitled project was saved without naming use the "Save As" option to build the appropriate structure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

Because of this, I find it best to close the start screen and start a New project file under the File Menu.. You can choose a template if you want but still point the project/audio path where you want, not to mention being able to name the project from the start.

Noted that.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, scook said:

The option to copy the audio happens when saving and naming the project.

The per-project switch was removed after X2 and was the default in Platinum. Because the start screen does not prompt for a name like Project > New from the menu, the per-project folder creation is deferred to when the project is named. Of course, this also leaves it up to the user to clean up the global audio folder. To avoid this, name the project immediately. This will create the appropriate audio folder.

If the untitled project was saved without naming use the "Save As" option to build the appropriate structure.

Thanks for the detail.