Add FX only to part of the clip

charles kasler

I can do it by splitting the clip but according to an old post below you should be able to select and apply it only to the selected portion. It doesn't work for me, am I doing something wrong? It's not a big deal but just trying to save steps wherever I can. Thanks.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/3497-apply-an-effect-only-to-selected-are/&utm_source=pocket_mylist

I see what McLeod is suggesting but I think it would be easier to use  automation to turn on and off the effect at the times you want. This assumes the effect plays nicely when you bypass or set the mix to 100% dry depending on the effect itself. So don't like being switched on and off and click or make a noise. Bounce to a clip when you are happy with it.

What effect are you working with?

25 minutes ago, charles kasler said:

Thanks. I'm just starting to explore this, I've always added the effect to the entire track before. I'd like to start by adding some delay to the end of a phrase or word.

I usually do this by adding the delay to the track/bus of the vocal track - set the delay parameters - automatize the effect to the desired effect. No need to split the clip, just work on the automation lane.

Other solution? yes, duplicate the track - split the clip (create fade in-out in the edges to avoid noises)  - move the clip to the 2nd track - apply the delay to this track only. You can even use this method to get the delay effect in all the words of your vocal track that you wish to affect. Just split them from the 1st track.