Puppets

FreeEarCandy

I liked the sparse creepiness that wasn't too creepy. For me, the vocals could have come in sooner. In the intro buildup, there's a bit of crackle in the left side with the acoustic guitar, and for me the bass guitar could have a bit more presence, maybe the bass notes sustaining longer when they are short?

Very cool lyrics, excellent vocals, and the mix (apart from the bass being too low?) has excellent separation. Your drums punch and the cymbals sould clear and fresh!

very original and inventive!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

I Absolutely Loved this song .  Your vocals were Superb . I really liked the build up leading to the main verses and especially your weaving of the harmony's. I was really wanting to hear a little bit more during the outro..  Maybe just a copy and paste ? There was also something about the way you EQ'd the vocals that seemed a little different than normally done (to me). I thought that put them "out of the box" a little and it worked Fantastic!  The Tasty instrumentation was also Highly impressive. Every writer produces a song that Really connects to a particular listener. This one was Mine.       Thanks .. 

mark                PS:   I Totally agree with @PhonoBrainer about the bass..   

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I liked the sparse creepiness that wasn't too creepy. For me, the vocals could have come in sooner. In the intro buildup, there's a bit of crackle in the left side with the acoustic guitar, and for me the bass guitar could have a bit more presence, maybe the bass notes sustaining longer when they are short?

Very cool lyrics, excellent vocals, and the mix (apart from the bass being too low?) has excellent separation. Your drums punch and the cymbals sound clear and fresh!

very original and inventive!

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom . You have ears like Underdog (a complement)! I would have never caught it, and sure enough, there it was-mostly on the left.  I removed it with some software and also checked the clicks too.  I also took your bass suggestions to heart and lengthened that short stops. Also widened the bass to give it some presence.  I remastered the results, which boosted the loudness quite a bit. More than I feel comfortable with, so I backed it off a few db looking for a happy medium.  I uploaded the result to Bandlab.  People like you are the reason I upload here. I love the critique, Tom ! I really appreciate you, and others, taking the time to listen and all the helpful  suggestions.  Thanks !!!

https://www.bandlab.com/free_ear_candy/puppets-0706d18d?revId=0c8f395e-23b7-ed11-a8e0-000d3a3f8f45

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I Absolutely Loved this song .  Your vocals were Superb . I really liked the build up leading to the main verses and especially your weaving of the harmony's. I was really wanting to hear a little bit more during the outro..  Maybe just a copy and paste ? There was also something about the way you EQ'd the vocals that seemed a little different than normally done (to me). I thought that put them "out of the box" a little and it worked Fantastic!  The Tasty instrumentation was also Highly impressive. Every writer produces a song that Really connects to a particular listener. This one was Mine.       Thanks .. 

mark                PS:   I Totally agree with @PhonoBrainer about the bass..   

Hello Mark.  So glad you liked the song.  For the vocals, I used an cakewalk FX chain I found, which used a Sonitus EQ-Sonitus Modulator-VX-64 Vocal Strip-Cakewalk Tempo delay (in that order).  Then I ran it through BlueVerb DRV-2080, and then I used the Prochannel Eq before sending it to the mix bus.  All stock plugins, I believe?

I'm sort of set with the arrangements, but all the suggestions are interesting & welcomed-food for thought.

I know what you mean. Certain songs just resonate in our heads.  Like a lock and key. I agree with Tom about it being a bit creepy. Puppets always struck me as being creepy, and I was probably tapping into that impression. However, I believe I wrote the music first and the lyrics followed. Makes me wonder if the music is a bit creepy or if its the theme? Maybe both! :o

Thanks so much for the wonderful comment, Mark!

Dean

Edited by FreeEarCandy
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 10:37 AM, FreeEarCandy said:

A woody folk song. No strings attached.

Nice sequences of the guitars and synth there FreeEarCandy with the extra feel good kicking in when the wind instrument kicks in... vocals sit in well...

Overall a good engaging groovy sway to the track that keeps you in it throughout.... 👍

• Like 1

The second mix is better. Great work. Great production. Great song. One of the best alternative country folk songs I've ever heard. I was getting echoes of The Decemberists (please take that as a compliment 🎵 ) One trick I've learned about violins is to get them to sound as realistic as possible auxiliary track them two or three or more time and adjust the EQ on two or more of them to carve the frequencies you want the end result to sound like 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:34 PM, ramscapri said:

Nice sequences of the guitars and synth there FreeEarCandy with the extra feel good kicking in when the wind instrument kicks in... vocals sit in well...

Overall a good engaging groovy sway to the track that keeps you in it throughout.... 👍

I appreciate the positive feedback! 

On 2/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, AndyB01 said:

Hmm, enjoyed this, second mix definitely better bass wise. Had a bit of a Fleetwood Mac vibe for me.

Mix wise, I was listening on good cans and it sounded like I was in the room - that's as good as it gets for me.

Great job.

Andy

Thanks Andy! 

22 hours ago, KSband said:

Really cool song, very different. Like the sound of the drums and the arrangement.  It's cool that it doesn't sound like anybody else, which is always hard to do.

Thanks! It is hard not to let 50 yrs of listening to other music bleed into ones compositions. Seems like everything has already been done. Glad you like the tune!

17 hours ago, Larry T. said:

The second mix is better. Great work. Great production. Great song. One of the best alternative country folk songs I've ever heard. I was getting echoes of The Decemberists (please take that as a compliment 🎵 ) One trick I've learned about violins is to get them to sound as realistic as possible auxiliary track them two or three or more time and adjust the EQ on two or more of them to carve the frequencies you want the end result to sound like 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks for listening to the second mix.  As I said I wasn't sure about the kick up in volume. Some tunes shouldn't be pushed to their limits, and I felt this one qualified for that category. Speaking of categories, I always have trouble tagging a genre to some work and found your label rather befitting.  I will give your violin Eq tips a try. I have done something similar with bass in the past and got positive feedback afterwards. No doubt there is something to it that is advantageous.  Thanks for lending your ears and sharing some technical advice!

• 4 weeks later...