What would you play on the guitar with only one finger ?

kennywtelejazz

Kids these days, man... I'm embarassed to say that I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years.

I was watching Tim Henson the other day when he popped up in my feed for an Ernbie Ball add. Make what you will of his "boomer bend" remark, but he is an amazing guitarist. I don't really like what he plays, and I like to think that it's not that I'm too illiterate or too old, but still - the kid's amazing. 

Same with a lot of those young people posting reels on Instagram. I guess it's normal for certain human abilities to improve from generation to generation, but I feel the gap here is quite fantastic. Of course there's always a bunch of geezers putting them down and telling them they have no feel, but, having grown up in the 80's with Malmsteen and all those guys, that's nothing new.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rain said:

bunch of geezers putting them down and telling them they have no feel, but, having grown up in the 80's with Malmsteen and all those guys, that's nothing new

Agreed. I never got into Malmstren, but I had to give him props. Phenomenal guitar player.

I first saw Polyphia in the video that someone posted not long ago with Steve Via. When I started watching the video I had no idea Via was in it. I just kept watching it because I was impressed and in awe of thier playing.  They are taking the two guitar harmony thing up a few levels. A good many levels!!

10 hours ago, Rain said:

I'm embarassed to say that I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years.

I felt that way after seeing Vai in concert. Then I watch Polyphia and wonder why I even bother.

But I got something inside that just can't get out any other way, other than me pick that guitar up and play it.

Back to the OP, that is an impressive video. Dynamic and clean. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'd probably play "One Note Samba" (Samba de uma Nota Só)

:D

When you happen to find yourself playing "One Note Samba " to a bunch of  guitar players with tightly crossed arms and scowls on their faces .

Take your one finger and let the bird  🖕out of the cage for your one finger performance of One Note Samba .:D

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, craigb said:

Yeah, but as soon as he tries to use TWO fingers, I bet it sounds like 💩😁

Courtesy Flush !!! Courtesy  Flush !!! Ole smiley the turd is starting to infiltrate the short hairs of my nose 🥴

57 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hey no cheating allowed !!! 

52 minutes ago, paulo said:

Too late.

Show me him plugging it in, tuning it and setting up the amp and fx with one finger and then he can call it a one finger audition. 😀

Oh My !! a true stickler for details . Hey let me ask you something ...

When you go to the supermarket do you actually count how many grains of rice are contained in the bag of rice you are thinking of buying  ?

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hey let me ask you something ....

When you go to the supermarket do you actually count how many grains of rice are contained in the bag of rice you are thinking of buying  ? 

Wait... Doesn't everybody??? 🤔

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2023 at 9:09 PM, Rain said:

Kids these days, man... I'm embarassed to say that I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years.

I was watching Tim Henson the other day when he popped up in my feed for an Ernbie Ball add. Make what you will of his "boomer bend" remark, but he is an amazing guitarist. I don't really like what he plays, and I like to think that it's not that I'm too illiterate or too old, but still - the kid's amazing. 

Same with a lot of those young people posting reels on Instagram. I guess it's normal for certain human abilities to improve from generation to generation, but I feel the gap here is quite fantastic. Of course there's always a bunch of geezers putting them down and telling them they have no feel, but, having grown up in the 80's with Malmsteen and all those guys, that's nothing new.

Thanks for sharing that 😄'

As far as guitar players go I'm sticking with the guitar players  I have admired and listened to over the decades .I've done a deep dive on all my influences which means not only have I studied my influences and learned what I could from them I also listened and studied the people that have influenced the players I have been influenced by .  

I have nothing against the new young breed players ,the simple fact of the matter is they just don't do it for me ...

On the other hand I am very impressed with the physicality young people display while doing precise physical activities , Younger people have taken it to a whole new level than my generation ..

I happen to like to watch clips of people doing stuff like 2 person gymnastics , trick shots , balancing on one hand while taking a selfie on the top floor of a building in Dubai with no safety net . Using their girl as a weight set , bicycle stunts , extreme acrobatics and  contortions , :o

I'm old and I'm at the age where if I have fallen and I can't get up concerns me ....

I see some of the stuff younger people do and I honestly feel some of them are fearless ..it's like all these young people are a bunch of modern day Evel Knievel's at their chosen sports and physical activities .

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hey let me ask you something ...

Kenny

10 hours ago, craigb said:

Wait... Doesn't everybody??? 🤔

🤣

WHAAAATTT I'm  a guitar player ! My counting skills start to get a little suspicious once I get past the number 4 ...

I save the mathematical computations for Keyboard players , Sax players and people with brains .

Today's question . How many grains of rice are in a 10 lb bag?

According to Wolfram Alpha, a grain of dry white rice is ~0.0023oz, or ~0.000144 pounds. 10/0.000144 = ~69565 grains of rice in a 10 pound bag.

all the best ,

Kenny

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Grem said:

I got something inside that just can't get out any other way, other than me pick that guitar up and play it.

Back to the OP, that is an impressive video. Dynamic and clean. 

Yes I hear you loud and clear .I got the same thing inside of me too 😊

+ 1 , I thought the guitar players one finger performance was very good ...it takes a lot to be able to do that and be musical .

all the best ,

Kenny

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I've never seen a bag of rice that says how many grains are supposed to be in it.

12 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

My counting skills start to get a little suspicious once I get past the number 4 ...

This is quite common. Do you know there is actually a technical term for a guitarist that can only reliably count to four ?

Bass player.

• Haha 3