Our school band's 50th reunion. Recorded one of our songs written in 1973.

PJH

This has been a fun project! Our school band, Ad Astra (formed in 1973 when we were between the ages of 13 and 14 years old) decided to get together and record one of the songs that was written back in 1973. Two of the members now live abroad (Alan in London and John - Paul in New Zealand). As this is the 50th reunion since formation, they both made the effort to come over to South Africa and get together to redo this song.

We'd talked about getting together for a long time but we procrastinated and didn't do anything.

Our wake up call came about when we lost our good friend who joined as our singer due to Covid. This made us decide to make this happen. One never knows what's around the corner.

The version of the song in the intro was recorded live at one of our school concerts back in the 70's.

• Like 5

On 3/7/2023 at 4:35 AM, DeeringAmps said:

👍’s for sure! Very cool.  

Has a little Strange Kind of Woman vibe. 

t

Thanks Tom! Now that you mention it, I can hear what you mean.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 1:19 AM, mark skinner said:

Cool one. Hats off to you for actually doing a reunion like that , instead of just writing about it.    Nice ..   mark

Thanks for the comments Mark! It was one of those "if we don't do it now, we'll never do it".

Edited by PJH

On 3/15/2023 at 7:32 AM, noynekker said:

Super guitar playing, and excellent rhythm section . . . really lovin' the revival of this old nugget, certainly shines now !

Thanks noynekker! Glad you enjoyed it!

What a great idea and a great project. You young guys wrote a good song and it aged very well. Sorry for the loss of your friend, I just lost one too. Very fun to know the story and watch your reunion version video. Loved the guitar playing, and it all sounds great.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:30 AM, burgettmusic said:

Nice Work!  Enjoyed it.  

As others have said.... Nice, Classic feel, but doesn't sound outdated. 

Music has a great feel.   Glad I listened.

-Shawn

Thanks Shawn!

Cheers!

On 4/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, Keith Wilby said:

You were a hell of a sight better than the band I was in at school in 73. You must have had a real blast doing this. Great job.

Thanks Keith! Yes, it was a wonderful experience. It's something that we plan to do again in the future.

Hi Peter, I am so jealous. My High School band was to get together this year for our 50th anniversary. Sadly our lead guitarist/lean vocalist has dementia and that nixed that plan.

What a wonderful job, the song rocks (in a classic rock way), performances were great and production was stellar.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:24 PM, treesha said:

What a great idea and a great project. You young guys wrote a good song and it aged very well. Sorry for the loss of your friend, I just lost one too. Very fun to know the story and watch your reunion version video. Loved the guitar playing, and it all sounds great.

Thanks for the comments treesha! I'm sorry for your loss.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:02 PM, Bapu said:

Hi Peter, I am so jealous. My High School band was to get together this year for our 50th anniversary. Sadly our lead guitarist/lean vocalist has dementia and that nixed that plan.

What a wonderful job, the song rocks (in a classic rock way), performances were great and production was stellar.

Thanks Bapu!

Sorry to hear about your singer. Really sad.