Editing Sustain Levels

Dan Patterson

Hi,

I am new to Cakewalk but am really enjoying it. Quick set up and I've been recording from day 1. Just completed a piano track and many of the sustain events are at 127. The only way I can find to edit sustain events (64), is by adjusting the level in Event View. This will probably take me 2 weeks and is what my dad used to call "picking fly shit out of pepper".  I'm hoping I am missing something. I tried clicking on the sustain level line, to create breaks like automation but no luck. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the shapes or draw new ones. In some cases the level is not my issue. I held the sustain too long and I just want to pull the box back.  I searched and couldn't find anything that works for me except the Event List.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Dan Patterson said:

Hi,

I am new to Cakewalk but am really enjoying it. Quick set up and I've been recording from day 1. Just completed a piano track and many of the sustain events are at 127. The only way I can find to edit sustain events (64), is by adjusting the level in Event View. This will probably take me 2 weeks and is what my dad used to call "picking fly shit out of pepper".  I'm hoping I am missing something. I tried clicking on the sustain level line, to create breaks like automation but no luck. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the shapes or draw new ones. In some cases the level is not my issue. I held the sustain too long and I just want to pull the box back.  I searched and couldn't find anything that works for me except the Event List.  Thanks

There are many ways to edit CC events in Cakewalk.

My preferred method is to use the Piano Roll View to edit CC64 events.  On most synths, CC64 > 0 to 63 is the sustain pedal lifted, CC64 > 64 to 127 is the sustain pedal Pressed.

I usually have a  CC64 > 0 event at the start of any MIDI track.

Thank you. I test drove the staff view method and also used the events list and deleted all the sustain events.

As I learn to play my M-Audio Hammer88 Pro, I will have to be mindful about sustain pedal usage. I recorded the piano track as the bed for Elton John's "Levon" and I am sure as I add other instruments and effects the sustain will probably not be necessary. Bad accoustic piano player habit. The great thing about recording is there is no place to hide and identifying opportunities to improve performance are there for the taking!  So far I am loving Cakewalk. Way more functionality than I expected. Easy to set up and so far very easy to learn enough to get started. Just wish I had found this in 2020 when I started recording stuff!

Edited by Dan Patterson
typo
  • Like 1