Free Steinberg Halion Sound - Colors Free

Frank

https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/colors-free/

for HALion 7, HALion Sonic 7

A free instrument with sampled synths, textures and much more

Colors Free (VST, AU, AAX) is a unique instrument, filled with sampled analog synth sounds, dusty lo-fi textures and colorful vintage keys. You can build your own sounds from scratch with four different layers, shaping tools and a clever modification engine, or hit the random button to get new sounds. This instrument offers you almost infinite possibilities to create atmospheric, deep and abstract sound sculptures. And you can do it for free — in almost any DAW.

Beautiful sounds with rich synth textures in an easy-to-use interface

Random function to create an almost infinite amount of new sounds

Includes dusty lo-fi textures, LFOs, an arpeggiator and additional effects

Works with free HALion Sonic in Cubase, Ableton, FL Studio, Logic Pro and other DAWs

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Mmm - tried installing via the Steinberg Download Assistant - 'Unknown Error' message 'Open the installation file from the download folder'   Nothing in the download folder

Frustrating. Will try again tomorrow! 

edit - ignore I was trying to install the wrong thing! 

Edited by JoeGBradford

22 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Mmm - tried installing via the Steinberg Download Assistant - 'Unknown Error' message 'Open the installation file from the download folder'   Nothing in the download folder

Frustrating. Will try again tomorrow! 

edit - ignore I was trying to install the wrong thing! 

Don't kick yourself,  Joe. Even HALion fans often acknowledge that the installation process for the software is confusing and a pain.  I like the product (although,  I greatly prefer KONTAKT), but loathe the installation processes.  I wish Steinberg would spend some time working on creating a better user experience during that process. I'm confident that it impacts sales. 

• Like 2

Thanks - yes I nearly gave up trying to install the previous free Halion and it's instruments when the Steinberg Licensing tool (which seemed as though it would be easy to deauthorise and reauthorise the free software via it's tender mercies) proved to be a pig (had to download a Steinberg Licencing Tool Assistant!) and so much more problematical than ilok!

I've now got Colours installed but seem to only be able to access one sound (no problem with the ~(previously paid for) Baltic Shimmers.

Again probably best left until tomorrow!  Thanks for the empathy Peter! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I've now got Colours installed but seem to only be able to access one sound (no problem with the ~(previously paid for) Baltic Shimmers.

I thought the same thing when I first tried it.  I then realized that the 'preset manager' is imbedded in the GUI itself.

Why would Steinberg make selecting patches easy if they could instead hide that functionality in the GUI and cause additional grief?

image.thumb.png.ea0a32529967bf65257db1db0c9fd07b.png

Edited by locrian

Thanks - I did spot that but when I tried to change a patch I just got silence and when I went back to the original patch that was also silent - very strange - just going to give it another go!

Just tried again and got same issue - a red warning comes up at the top of the GUI saying 'Script Editor Indicator / Reset' This happens in the new Halion 7 and the old SE3. Resetting doesn't solve the problem. Wondering whether to reinstall Colours?

Edited by JoeGBradford

23 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I wish Steinberg would spend some time working on creating a better user experience during that process. I'm confident that it impacts sales. 

They should just combine the Steinberg Download Assistant, Activation Manager, and Library Manager. Done!!! 🤪

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, abacab said:

They should just combine the Steinberg Download Assistant, Activation Manager, and Library Manager. Done!!! 🤪

I agree. I actually really like Native Access, Native Instruments download manager, and Izotope's download manager is also good. IMO, the two worst processes / user experiences for downloading and installing new software are Steinberg and IK. If either of those companies employ a skilled user experience manager, you'd never know it from the actual user experience. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

If either of those companies employ a skilled user experience manager, you'd never know it from the actual user experience. 

Even Waves Central moves in mysterious ways, but it's a unified experience once you get a grip on it. Waves has other issues, LOL!

• Like 1