Name of notes (C,C#,D, D# and etc.) on keys of PianoRoll

Andy DA

You may replace the keyboard shown in the label pane next to the note pane in the PRV with any text.

This is done by creating the data in the note names section of the master instrument definitions file.

Once the instrument definition is added; the note names may be displayed by right-clicking the keyboard in the label pane and selected the alternate note names from the note names dialog.

• Like 2

I don't think there's a way to display notes directly on the piano keys. Theme Editor can't do it. However, they will display as you hover the mouse near them, independently of each other.

A feature request?

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Just learn where the notes are instead of relying on crutches. Its really not that difficult.

It's the same 12 note names repeated in each octave. So agree that it's not too hard to learn the 12 note names on a keyboard or piano roll for one octave. Much more logical than a guitar fretboard!

• Like 2

Two things , set the view to show note names and they will appear in the note blobs if you set the horizontal height just so. 

1583848707_Screenshot(471).png.cc8961532b3c69b61034a78f44918269.png

Then right click on the side view keyboard to open this dialogue which will show note names as the mouse hovers. 

1228035342_Screenshot(472).thumb.png.18102c26dfda9d3dc71b1c1fdbe93df6.png

974448980_Screenshot(473).png.ef73625dc4f5ce3096d2ecde58e8db21.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:35 AM, John Vere said:

Two things , set the view to show note names and they will appear in the note blobs if you set the horizontal height just so. 

1583848707_Screenshot(471).png.cc8961532b3c69b61034a78f44918269.png

Then right click on the side view keyboard to open this dialogue which will show note names as the mouse hovers. 

1228035342_Screenshot(472).thumb.png.18102c26dfda9d3dc71b1c1fdbe93df6.png

974448980_Screenshot(473).png.ef73625dc4f5ce3096d2ecde58e8db21.png

Thank you so much for your useful advice, I do it, too! However, sometimes I need to see name of notes on scale of piano roll keyboard in whole! Because of I edit some of midi of notes and click to select on some of note with my mouse I need to see exact place anyway where I'll be drag and drop at to editing! I think this add feature will be very comfortable  in interface of Cakewalk for some users. Also I would be to offer to enabled the good feature as to colorful name of notes if user would like to see that? Of course these options should not be enabled by default. For example, there is variant of pianoroll in some DAW!

Notes.png

On 2/22/2023 at 10:35 AM, John Vere said:

set the view to show note names and they will appear in the note blobs

As you can see in your screen shots, black text on dark notes isn't vey helpful. I've requested them to be lighter or contrasting... or Theme changeable.

8 hours ago, Andy DA said:

Thank you so much for your useful advice, I do it, too! However, sometimes I need to see name of notes on scale of piano roll keyboard in whole! Because of I edit some of midi of notes and click to select on some of note with my mouse I need to see exact place anyway where I'll be drag and drop at to editing! I think this add feature will be very comfortable  in interface of Cakewalk for some users. Also I would be to offer to enabled the good feature as to colorful name of notes if user would like to see that? Of course these options should not be enabled by default. For example, there is variant of pianoroll in some DAW!

Notes.png

If I'm not mistaken, that appears to be a shot of the piano roll from FL Studio. I tried a demo of that DAW a few years ago, and I must say it has one of the best PRV's I've seen anywhere. Good example!

But sadly, that was the only appealing thing about FL for me... ;)

I find that Cakewalk has a fine system of renaming notes on the PRV, and in fact MIDI patch & bank naming as well, in the instrument definitions (.ins) format implementation. -Unfortunately, I don't see any tools designed to help with creating or modifying them easily. That would really help IMHO.

I do also long for easier customization of the color or entire theme of the notes in PRV. That is almost necessary if you want to use some of the custom note names properly. Although the plain names on white in the piano roll left hand side works OK, but I hardly ever see the note names on note display like some of the screen shots referred to here, so maybe it's not that common anywhere, yet.

Of course, it must be pointed out that there will always be as many style & design wants as there are users, it is the nature of us all to see things uniquely. -And sometimes, especially regarding MIDI implementation & compatibility concerns, there are multiple methods needed to work with MIDI for each person, when we have different apps. I still struggle with how many MIDI controllable apps are all different with standards, some want just note numbers, others decide key range starts from middle C, others don't, it's always a challenge, -PRV adjustments all the time! -I wonder if any of the MIDI 2.0 standard will help with any of that? 

Suggestion: Somebody should compile the feature requests here and make a post over in the "Feedback Loop" forum where it will more likely be seen by the developers. This here is a Q&A forum about instruments and effects, and not likely to make it to the their attention...

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

"Provide feedback on features, ideas and requests for future releases of Cakewalk by BandLab"

Here's the current list of PRV related feature requests over there... https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/search/&q=prv&type=forums_topic&nodes=8&updated_after=any&sortby=newest

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1