Tambourine MIDI grooves? NOT A DEAL

X-53mph

Not a deal: This is a request.

Does anyone know of any MIDI grooves that could work with either BFD 3 or Addictive Drums tambourines?

I'm looking for some great tambourine variations, perhaps a little bit groovy or Mazzy Star like. Something that sounds real, without sounding too much like a machine.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 3

I’ve got every MIDIpak (and ADpak) in AD2. When I search for “tambourine” on the Beats tab I get six matches, five of which are located in the “Indie Rock” MIDIpak. There’s a note saying that they should be used with the Indie ADpak. When I use that kit it all sounds pretty tambourinish to me. But hey, what do I know about tambourines?

8E2WgpA.png

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 2

The problem with tambourines (and shakers) is that they're quite hard to do with samples and MIDI, just because of the way that all of the elements that make sound interact with each other. Maybe have you considered something like:

https://klevgrand.com/products/skaka

or (though more expensive)

https://insessionaudio.com/products/shimmer-shake-strike-2/

2 hours ago, antler said:

The problem with tambourines (and shakers) is that they're quite hard to do with samples and MIDI, just because of the way that all of the elements that make sound interact with each other. Maybe have you considered something like:

https://klevgrand.com/products/skaka

This was the first thing that came to mind.

2nd is Jamcussion if someone happens to also have a Jamstix plugin.  I've never tried to control that specifically, but have generated a few as part of a larger "jamcussion" groove where a tambourine is included as an element.

Edited by Brian Walton

1 hour ago, bluzdog said:

Idk.......I think it's easier to just set up a mic and work out a part.

I find that understanding that nobody at all is even going to notice the tambourine part helps me.

"What I really love about that song was the imaginative playing of the tambourine" said Nobody Ever.

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, paulo said:

I find that understanding that nobody at all is even going to notice the tambourine part helps me.

"What I really love about that song was the imaginative playing of the tambourine" said Nobody Ever.

I bet people notice if the part is played really poorly and off-beat.  Thus the legitimacy of wanting MIDI/some program to do it for us.  

I know I tried recording a shaker part a couple times that sounded so awful it was distracting.  😁

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I bet people notice if the part is played really poorly and off-beat.  Thus the legitimacy of wanting MIDI/some program to do it for us.  

I know I tried recording a shaker part a couple times that sounded so awful it was distracting.  😁

Yeah, I was referring more to the idea of the part being "inspiring"  or not and the fact that we are probably all bit guilty at times of obsessing on the minutiae that 99.9% of listeners won't even notice.

I usually use one of the loops that come with CW, the Groovemate One freebie from UJAM or just play something in myself and then tidy up the midi as required. I have been known to stick a flanger on the track which helps to make it sound less repetitive.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Well, there is this new, cutting-edge technology you could try called "practice...."

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, paulo said:

This made me laugh. 😆I  know what you mean.

However, I can think of a few songs where the tambourine is integral to the groove, and a so-so tambourine playing would have ruined the track.

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Well, there is this new, cutting-edge technology you could try called "practice...."

Must be nice to have the free time to actually play instruments and not just collect VSTs that never get used.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Haha 5