Starship’s ‘We Built This City’: Really The Worst?

kitekrazy

I quit watching TV in the late 1980s. I've never seen American Idol.

No cable, no antenna, no digital converter just a DVD player for an occasional rented movie from Netflix in my mailbox.

Gigging on cruise ships for 3 years in the 1980s, when there was no TV on them except the movie that played again and again and again week after week after week broke me of the habit. When I got home I hooked up the cable, and in a couple of months realized I wasn't watching much, and when I forced myself to watch it, I would get fidgety because I was used to doing things.

So instead of watching TV I learned to play wind synthesizer, learned to play lead guitar, learned to write aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box, learned to create a mail-order business selling those styles, learned to write web pages and transfer that business to the Internet, and I spent a lot of quality time with my wife/best-friend/lover/band-mate.

There is nothing wrong with TV, but it's not for my wife or me.

Insights and incites by Notes

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I quit watching TV in the late 1980s. I've never seen American Idol.

No cable, no antenna, no digital converter just a DVD player for an occasional rented movie from Netflix in my mailbox.

Gigging on cruise ships for 3 years in the 1980s, when there was no TV on them except the movie that played again and again and again week after week after week broke me of the habit. When I got home I hooked up the cable, and in a couple of months realized I wasn't watching much, and when I forced myself to watch it, I would get fidgety because I was used to doing things.

So instead of watching TV I learned to play wind synthesizer, learned to play lead guitar, learned to write aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box, learned to create a mail-order business selling those styles, learned to write web pages and transfer that business to the Internet, and I spent a lot of quality time with my wife/best-friend/lover/band-mate.

There is nothing wrong with TV, but it's not for my wife or me.

Insights and incites by Notes

I'm sorry Notes, but I have to say I don't believe you. 😑

(I can think of several things wrong with TV!😁)

8 hours ago, craigb said:

I'm sorry Notes, but I have to say I don't believe you. 😑

I was thinking that, but for a different reason.......no tv would mean way too much talking to the wife time for any man to cope with. 

• Haha 1

Sorry guys, it's true. I've never seen Simpsons, Sopranos, Taxi, Cheers, Idol, Thrones, Downtown Abby, or anything.

The last two shows on TV I watched were (1) Johnny Carson's last Tonight Show because I grew up with that an (2) Jay Leno's first tonight show to see how it changed.

And since without a cable or antenna I can't get anything but one Christian Sermon channel on my TV (snowy at that) I had to go to my mother-in-laws to see them.

Paulo, my wife and I talk and talk and laugh and talk constantly. I got very-very lucky with her (she's my second, the first was a disaster). 24/7 wouldn't be too much time together. We work together http://www.s-cats.com and play together. We have similar tastes in music, we both love travel, we both prize experience over possessions, we both have warped senses of humor, and we are each other's best friends. It's been 41 years of bliss.

Last year we spent 5 weeks in Australia in a tiny camper van - could have done 50 if we could have afforded it.

Like I said, I got lucky.

Notes

Notes needs to examine my reply more closely! 😁

I pretty much never watch TV any more either.  I stopped a little over three years ago and have only seen parts of a couple of those shows you listed anyway. (Only because someone else had them on.)

Edited by craigb
  • Like 1