Starship’s ‘We Built This City’: Really The Worst?

kitekrazy

On 7/28/2019 at 3:32 PM, John Maar said:

Welp, someone's gotta.

If you think the song is bad, check out the OFFICIAL video.

Would the song been as bad if there wasn't a video?

Through March 2019, “We Built This City” has more than 57 million views on YouTube. Someone is still listening. Take that, rock critics!

Sight and sound are often deception. 

How many of the greatest bands have great videos?

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Through March 2019, “We Built This City” has more than 57 million views on YouTube. Someone is still listening. Take that, rock critics!

Doesn't tell you how long they listened for though.

The 80's pop hits were all "manufactured". The MTV generation...

They all sounded alike.

So do today's pop hits. Nothing has really changed, except what the consumer masses consider "popular".

Underneath all that there has been  great new wave, grunge, hard rock,  heavy metal, prog rock, and others, etc. But those bands rarely hit the top of the pop charts and sold as many records. It's all about the money. They even hired Elton John's lyricist, Bernie Taupin, to write the lyrics for "We Built This City".

Edited by abacab

While we're on the topic,  how did Heart  go from  the ferocious "Barracuda " to the atrocious,  sappy "What about Love?"

How did Scorpions get from "Virgin Killer"  to "Winds of Change?"

Or

How did Foreigner go from "Dirty White Boy" to the horrid "I Want to Know What Love Is?"

2 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

While we're on the topic,  how did Heart  go from  the ferocious "Barracuda " to the atrocious,  sappy "What about Love?"

How did Scorpions get from "Virgin Killer"  to "Winds of Change?"

Or

How did Foreigner go from "Dirty White Boy" to the horrid "I Want to Know What Love Is?"

They aged? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

While we're on the topic,  how did Heart  go from  the ferocious "Barracuda " to the atrocious,  sappy "What about Love"

Come on They had "Dream Boat Annie" way before   "What about Love"   😎

I have no love for "We Built This City". Grace was decent in the Airplane but IMHO became a watered down copy of herself as time went on.

Worst ever song? That's like saying what is the best song. While there are hundreds you could put in both categories, it's hard to pick the winner (or loser).

We do a song that is frequently on the top 10 worst rock song lists, "Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen. For some unknown reason it was popular.

We do it as shtick. We announce it as one of the top 10 worst, exaggerate it, flap our arms in the air, act silly and keep it short. In the right club at the right time it goes over quite well.

Even older than that, Johnny Horton's "The Battle Of New Orleans" was one of those songs where I couldn't get to the station change button quick enough.

"Henry the Eighth" by Herman's Hermits anyone?

"Revolution 9" by The Beatles?

"Feelings"?

"Having My Baby"?

"Achy Breaky Heart"?

"Who Let The Dog's Out"?

"Mambo Number 5" ? (The Lou Bega song, not the Perez Prado original)

IMHO these are all much worse than that Starship song. "We Built This City" to me is just boring, these others border on irritating. :D

Insights and incites by Notes

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

"Achy Breaky Heart"?

WARNING  >>>> THE BILLY RAY VIRUS  is on the loose, and it's trying to break into  your computers achy  heart.> >>> It will arrive in an e-mail titled "BOY,  WAS I A LUCKY *****! "Microsoft  announced that it is more infectious and catchy then the actual song. > >>>  There is no remedy. > >>>  It will destroy all the information on your computer by continually downloading Billy's  MP3's  until your computer line dances out the FRIGGIN' door, and out of your life forever!!!  Do not open anything with this title, that includes CD's, Tapes, or Vinyl.   This information was announced yesterday morning by Microsoft, and Billy's old label, Mercury records. > >>> Please share it with everyone in your address book so that the spreading of  the  virus, and Billy's music may be stopped. This is a very dangerous virus and there is no remedy for it at this time. Please forward this to all your online friends, ASAP! 

• Haha 1