Starship’s ‘We Built This City’: Really The Worst?

kitekrazy

On 8/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, Notes_Norton said:

I have no love for "We Built This City". Grace was decent in the Airplane but IMHO became a watered down copy of herself as time went on.

Worst ever song? That's like saying what is the best song. While there are hundreds you could put in both categories, it's hard to pick the winner (or loser).

We do a song that is frequently on the top 10 worst rock song lists, "Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen. For some unknown reason it was popular.

We do it as shtick. We announce it as one of the top 10 worst, exaggerate it, flap our arms in the air, act silly and keep it short. In the right club at the right time it goes over quite well.

Even older than that, Johnny Horton's "The Battle Of New Orleans" was one of those songs where I couldn't get to the station change button quick enough.

"Henry the Eighth" by Herman's Hermits anyone?

"Revolution 9" by The Beatles?

"Feelings"?

"Having My Baby"?

"Achy Breaky Heart"?

"Who Let The Dog's Out"?

"Mambo Number 5" ? (The Lou Bega song, not the Perez Prado original)

IMHO these are all much worse than that Starship song. "We Built This City" to me is just boring, these others border on irritating. :D

Insights and incites by Notes

Add Billy Don't Be A Hero.

and The Night Chicago Died.

to that list🤢

• Like 1

Oh boy music in general sure was crazy back then 😂

If you think We Built This City was bad how do you think I feel about this one ...I'm the guy humping the rake at 1 : 47

Kenny

PS, I thought it was fun back then . Oh well at least the rake had a good time

Edited by Kenny Wilson
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I still cant  stand Beth by Kiss,  November Rain by GnR.

I respect ACDC for never venturing down the road of the ballad.

I went to a Metallica concert once, and they did an acoustic set. F'n brilliant!!! :D

7 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

😂Sure I could back then , that was when I was young ...

Anyway nothing has changed for me as a result of that video ...I still have to pay extra for my Garden Tools 😂

Kenny

How did you end up in that video?

I unplugged the cable in 1990, took the antenna mast down, and haven't watched a bit of TV since. Actually I haven't watched TV since 1986, we were gigging on cruise ships, and there was no TV on them at that time. When I got off, I was so used to not watching, that I found myself bored, so instead I learned how to write styles for Band-in-a-Box, how to run a mail order business that turned internet order, learned to make web pages, learned wind synthesizer, and learned lead guitar. Much more rewarding.

I know it's not for everyone, but I'd rather live my life by doing things than to live my live vicariously by watching actors pretending to do things.

Many years ago when I was quite young, we played in a bar that had a country music clientele in the daytime, and we were hired for rock and roll night. While setting up to play, this guy almost endlessly played "Together Again" by Buck Owens on the juke box. I got to hate that song. Year's later it's not my favorite, but it's OK.

There are only two kinds of songs, good songs (the ones I like) and songs written for somebody else's ears.

Here's one we had to play a few years ago that I don't like, "Cupid Shuffle"

Notes

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

If you think We Built This City was bad how do you think I feel about this one ...I'm the guy humping the rake at 1 : 47

I wouldn't sweat it Kenny. I can't imagine that many people make it that far.😉

On 8/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, Kenny Wilson said:

If you think We Built This City was bad how do you think I feel about this one ...I'm the guy humping the rake at 1 :47

4 hours ago, paulo said:

Absolutely!  Rakes are well known to be very picky.  😆

6 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I unplugged the cable in 1990, took the antenna mast down, and haven't watched a bit of TV since. Actually I haven't watched TV since 1986, we were gigging on cruise ships, and there was no TV on them at that time. When I got off, I was so used to not watching, that I found myself bored, so instead I learned how to write styles for Band-in-a-Box, how to run a mail order business that turned internet order, learned to make web pages, learned wind synthesizer, and learned lead guitar. Much more rewarding.

I know it's not for everyone, but I'd rather live my life by doing things than to live my live vicariously by watching actors pretending to do things.

Many years ago when I was quite young, we played in a bar that had a country music clientele in the daytime, and we were hired for rock and roll night. While setting up to play, this guy almost endlessly played "Together Again" by Buck Owens on the juke box. I got to hate that song. Year's later it's not my favorite, but it's OK.

There are only two kinds of songs, good songs (the ones I like) and songs written for somebody else's ears.

Here's one we had to play a few years ago that I don't like, "Cupid Shuffle"

Notes

TV is the devil. 

On 8/10/2019 at 3:01 PM, craigb said:

By my count, Fame owes Kenny another 14 minutes and 56 seconds! 😆

Craig , OK when you are on You Are On lol I'll give you that

I wonder if my 4 seconds of credit will roll over ...if I was riding a Bull I would have had  a halfway good run at four seconds ..

On 8/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, InstrEd said:

So you sayin      Kenny want to live forever  😎

When I was young I used to think that ,,,Now it's like Oh man The Grimm Reaper is probably come and snag my  culito  pretty soon ...

On 8/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, kitekrazy said:

How did you end up in that video?

I was at the right place at the right time with the right people .

14 hours ago, paulo said:

paulo,

gulp , I could have been a contender sniff sniff  waaahhhhh lol

When I went home after the video shoot in Central Park I had a cheese sandwich for diner ...times were tough for me back then

Thanks for the kind word .

10 hours ago, craigb said:

Absolutely!  Rakes are well known to be very picky.  😆

Not that Rake , That Rake was a Hoe

all the best,

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson