SSL Native Drumstrip for $23.84

Frank

On 2/20/2023 at 10:56 PM, PavlovsCat said:

I contemplated getting this in a past sale. I haven't used a channel strip before. I'd love to get the thoughts from anyone who uses this or other channel strips to weigh in on channel strips vs. individual plugins. 

I’m a big fan of channel strips like this, AMEK 9099, and Waves Omnichannel.  If there are enough presets, it will give you a variety of starting points to achieve a particular sound or treatment of an instrument or bus.  There aren’t as many presets in the SSL as there are for Omnichannel, and Omnichannel’s span most instruments, busses, and overhead mic configurations which is why I tend to start with it (and usually end with it.). Same could be said for the AMEK, which having just bought it, is starting to find its way into more mixes.

The thing I like most about Drumstrip, though, is it is easy on the eyes and simple to use.  

If they all went on sale today for $29 (or less) I’d go with the AMEK for sheer versatility’s sake but those are really the only three channel strips have experience with.  I do want to try Analog Obsession’s CHANEV which looks really interesting.  Maybe that’s a good (free) option to start with?

Neutron Elements could also give you a more “modern”  channel strip experience compared to the skeuomorphic experience of the ones I’ve already mentioned.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:56 PM, PavlovsCat said:

I contemplated getting this in a past sale. I haven't used a channel strip before. I'd love to get the thoughts from anyone who uses this or other channel strips to weigh in on channel strips vs. individual plugins. 

Here is a good guide to using almost any channel strip you want to use.  ~~~>  Mixing with Mike - Plugin of the week

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3