Sweetwater IMSTA FESTA ATL Software Deals

cclarry

2 hours ago, garybrun said:

I don't think that is a fair statement to be honest.
I have been with Cakewalk since day one... and its amazing on how the software has developed over the years..  and now its even free!

To put it in another way I usually don't buy software that have few updates before wanting you to buy upgrades.     

6 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I went ahead and got Acid Pro 9 at Sweetwater with this deal.  The price was right, even though it wasn't even an upgrade.  9.0 at least so far has been a lot better than 8.0 was.  The VST scanner actually made it through my VSTs the very first time.  I didn't have to kill processes/etc.  So big improvement there.  The UI seems a little nicer but I'd have to run 8.0 to be sure.  I also got a coupon code for Planet Producer, though no details on what it is supposed to be for.  It did let me buy one of the Sony/SF Acid packages for free though.  The loops it comes with downloaded very, very slowly and aren't that impressive, but they seem different than 8.0

I wish they hadn't done the Acid Pro Next thing (the price is way too high for the limited additional features), but for the price this is a much better version of Acid 64bit than 8.0 was.

There is a Cakewalk Early Access update.  They have been working pretty hard to get it solid.  I suspect it will ship in the next week.

I got it too.  I went with that light GUI.  Not sure what to do with that Acid Planet code either.   Of course this is another example of lazy development when it comes to downloader installers. No preferences. 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, cclarry said:

Little story....

I applied to work there.  Got a call a few days later stating that
they were going to go with "more qualified" candidates.  So I told
them "yes, I've dealt with your "more qualified" candidates,
and I can see how 30 years in the business would make me "less qualified""!
They changed their tune and immediately wanted to hire me...
I told them to stick their job where the sun don't shine.

That's a true story.  If you're going to "not hire" me because I happen to
be in my  late 40's at the time, then I don't want your job.  If you base qualifications
on someone's age, and on  their paper, rather than on "real world experience", then I don't want your job.
Human Resources are usually run by young guys with a degree who REALLY don't
know "thin sh*t from Applebutter", as my Mom used to say...

I could have made that place a FORTUNE, and they blew it IMO.  Too bad for 
them.  I even know the owner, Chuck, to this day...and could most certainly 
work there if I pressed the issue...but, no thanks...I'll pass...

I don't think you would have lasted a week there.  The "deals" are not good enough and the bottom floor they let the customer service reps can work with do not get agressive enough.  You would have spent your day pointing customers to better sales.  

Think about how many times you have posted a "sweetwater" related deal.....  😂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I don't think you would have lasted a week there.  The "deals" are not good enough and the bottom floor they let the customer service reps can work with do not get agressive enough.  You would have spent your day pointing customers to better sales.  

Think about how many times you have posted a "sweetwater" related deal.....  😂

I agree with that, and I'm the guy who would give up his Sale commission to get
the customer a better deal...because I don't care about money, I care about music,
and people...so I'm in complete agreement.  It's RARE to post a Sweetwater deal
that REALLY is a DEAL!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zo said:

Totally off topic , but did any of you guyz switched to another daw are all are still using sonar somehow ...?

I still use CbB when I'm recording audio and just mixing, because I like how it routes audio and handles effects. But when I'm using soft synths and MIDI (which is almost all the time) I'm using Cubase 10.  It could do the audio stuff but I don't quite have the handle on it and it's just not worth the effort to fully learn now that CbB is back alive.  When I'm using ACIDized loops and loops in general I still use ACID.  I'm faster with it and like what I get.  But it's MIDI and effects aren't really up to snuff.   All the rest of the DAWs I have are more like collector items, I'm not using them except to play with the software.

I think of it kind of like cars.  Every car will get you from point A to point B, but depending on what you are doing you might want a truck or a sports car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zo said:

Totally off topic , but did any of you guyz switched to another daw are all are still using sonar somehow ...?

I switched  to Cubase when Sonar went under.  Last time I built my DAW, I didn't even install CbB.  I'm just here for the deals.  :)

Will always have a soft spot for Sonar, this forum really got me started on a good foot.

• Like 4

thks guyz , really digging cubase power , feels solid ...bugs all other (specially on customisation of layout and color that doesn't stay)  but i still find S1 inspiring in production ...

13 hours ago, Zo said:

I switched to FL Studio after Sonar 5 since the GUI was getting cluttered.  I still bought licenses after that since they trusted users by having  simple authorization.  Right now with all of the DAWs I have I'm wandering in the wilderness.   

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Zo said:

I started with Sonar early on, then switched to Studio One and never looked back. It does everything I need it to and then some...  I keep meaning to install CbB but just never get around to it. Someday if SO goes belly-up or totally disses its customers or somehow it doesn't do something I need it to, CbB is the first next DAW I'll be trying out. A big reason for that are the folks on this forum. You guys rock.

Edited by mibby
  • Like 1

One thing is true , limitation is key , i have to master those daws for students (each i show this and that i have tha question : how to do this in my daw) ...and after getting all the major daws i get exactlly in the land of the lost and understand fully the struggle of multiplcation of options ....no daw has it all , each one have strength  ,  i'm doing a full project on cubase and see .... was happy with studio one but man this gui sometime is killing me !! way easier on the eyes for cubase but looks like the 90" and not so inviting when it come to production ...producting the oldschool way in it is a pleasure , but wanting to go outside the confort zone iseasier with something like Live or S1 for exemple versus Sonar and cubase ....

Presonus is pretty aggressive in getting people to upgrade.   I don't use it that much but when they have an upgrade for under $70 I buy.   I like their GUI.   I started in this DAW madness around the turn of the century. There was no free DAW like Bandlab. Pro Tools had one that would crash.    Also the quality of free/low priced plugins is far superior now.

Anyone can totally make professional quality music these days with ZERO investment!  CbB and all the quality FREE plugins available is just insane!
And to think of all of those years in my basement with my Tascam 4-Track...  What a great time to be an audio nerd!!

Edited by mibby
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, mibby said:

Anyone can totally make professional quality music these days with ZERO investment!  CbB and all the quality FREE plugins available is just insane!
And to think of all of those years in my basement with my Tascam 4-Track...  What a great time to be an audio nerd!!

Oh man....tracking 3 tracks on the 4 track, and then bounce 3 tracks down to one,
and then  record 2 more, and bounce those to one, leaving you two tracks left to record on! 
Good Times!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Oh man....tracking 3 tracks on the 4 track, and then bounce 3 tracks down to one,
and then  record 2 more, and bounce those to one, leaving you two tracks left to record on! 
Good Times!

Haha right! I don't have the Tascam Porta One anymore but still have all the cassette tapes 😛

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mibby said:

I do! ;)

Now I know who to contact if I ever want to mix them down to 2 track 😀

I remember paying $500 for it at Wurlitzer in Boston but when I got an 8 track I traded it for a Kramer Focus when I was gigging out a lot and needed some extra guitars for alt tunings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mibby said:

I forget how much I paid, but got it back in the late 80's and from Musician's Friend when it was a mail order catalog... 

Cool Mibby I didn't realize MF has been around that long.

As for the original topic  - I like Sweetwater for their expertise but rarely find the best deal there although they did give me a great price on a Jackson Soloist SL1 that I couldn't pass up a couple of years ago.