Miguel Carzola

Miguel , I've always Loved this song . You did a Great job on all the backing tracks. Really nice feel . Your vocal range is "incredible" and it's really needed to pull this song off. My only observation for improvement would be to back off the limiter/compression on your vocals. They're Real smooth , but feel boxed in  like the dynamics and openness has been squashed out of them. Anyway just my 2 cents worth.    Fantastic cover ..   mark

Hi guys. 

Thank you all sooo much for having listened and taken the time to comment.  This really helps. I kept the mix kind of raw so I could take into account your comments before going in a final direction with it.  That’s why the only effects on the tracks are a send on the mix busses to a room reverb with varying degrees of wetness, a little chorus on the backing vocals bus (to defuse them since it’s also my voice) and pro channel tape saturation on all busses. 

The lead vocal is a scratch track and I was experimenting with a mic that is supposed to be flat, the SM63, so I used automation, saturation, and EQ to tame the dynamics on that track (no compression) but that’s probably what’s making it sound squashed. I think I overdid it. Thanks for the help on this, Mark and LarryT. 

I used different EQs and hard panning for the guitar and voice tracks mostly to help avoid psychoacoustic masking but also cus I remember the feeling of “being in the room” when I would listen to Beatles recordings as a kid due in part the hard panning on some tracks. I think also it felt natural now because that’s how I would hear the instruments around me when I was singing with a band- Something an audience member does not usually experience. I gotta watch it with that though cus I may be losing the audience with that move. Thank you for the observation, AndyB01. 

About the performance; I wanted it to have tension since the song has such a sweet melody. I find that sometimes singers leave hidden land mines-so to speak- in their recorded performances. There may be something there that when you sing the song by yourself for the first time you realize “whoa. That’s not as easy as it sounds in the record.” Bishop had a few of those in this one, mainly the runs and the breathing. I’m glad I chose to put different land mines in there other than what he used and I am humbled you guys liked my choices in that regard, Larry, Mark, Andy, and Jim.

Man…all those words just to say thank you. Dictation on iPhones is dangerous 😂

But really…thank you 🙏🏼

Edited by Miguel Carzola

Love this song, and what a great respectful mix you have here.

The pitch of your vocal is splendid!!! But for me the timbre is just a bit thin. You must have considered doubling the lead vocal with another take, and adding a splash of microshift? It could be your mic of choice did the thinning, hard to tell. But the performance is super solid.

Love your cover and I'll definitely check back to catch where it ends up. Nice one!

cheers,

-Tom

Tom.

Thank you so much for the comment, the observation, and the suggestion. This helps a lot.

Your suggestion really helps for when I redo it.  I'll use all the feedback as things to pay attention to. So far I'm pleased and relieved that for the most part you guys like the arrangement considering the mix was done mainly for balance without much processing and in a bluethooth speaker that I listen to a music in.  I really appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by Miguel Carzola
grammar/content