Installed Korg nanoKONTROL2 software now Cakewalk will not install

Michael Richards

Installed Korg nanoKONTROL2 software now Cakewalk will not install. I even reinstalled December's Cakewalk and tried to open as administrator and it will not open.

I received this error code: Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation.

I had been using Cakewalk for 2 hours without a problem but I needed to see if nanoKontrol2 would work. I'm using Spitfire Solo Strings and I need to control attack and vibrato. What should I do?

Thank you, Michael

Okay, I tried everything I could find. Most of the items to change were already there. Nothing worked.

I have disabled anti-virus, deleted all Korg nanoKontrol items, changed Cakewalk folder properties to Full, user account all set up as administrator. It was already setup as open as administrator. I have restarted the computer many times.

Why did this happen after I restarted windows after setting up the Korg software? BTW, I have had that software installed several times before without it causing this problem.

20 minutes ago, Michael Richards said:

Why did this happen after I restarted windows after setting up the Korg software? BTW, I have had that software installed several times before without it causing this problem.

I will defer to others on this.  I do recall that some people have posted comments about changes with the Korg software, not sure if it was related to changes in the drivers, the Korg configuration software, or what.  As for my own experience, I have used nanoKontrols (pre 2 version) and at one point something changed and I had some issues.  

As for problem-solving elevation/permissions issues, maybe other Cakewalk users who have faced them (not necessarily with Korg) can offer some help.  

FWIW - I've found Korg a bit slow to react to Windows changes with their drivers.

The Korg software/drivers stopped working when WIndows 10 20H2 came out, and it took a few months before a working update was made available.

It looks like the same thing might have happened for 22H2 and WIndows 11.

Personally, I've kept the Korg software running on my Windows 7 boot, and uninstalled the Korg software & drivers on my Windows 10 boot.  The nanoKONTROL (both nanoKONTROL 2 and nanoKONTROL Studio) work fine with the class compliant drivers.  The only reason you need the software is for mapping CC's.

User and Mark, if I change to the admin account on my computer I can start Cakewalk. Unfortunately, other programs like RME TotalMix are nowhere to be found. I went back to my regular account and still can't open Cakewalk. I have removed all the Korg software and unplugged the USB.

Am I missing something?

Michael

Awhile back Noel had a thread about a redistributable installer. I installed that,cleaned the registry, and restarted the computer. It didn’t work. I went into regedit and deleted more than 30 remaining bits of the Korg nanoKontrol. That didn’t work, either.

If I uninstall Cakewalk can I save any of my settings and/or plugins? I have to get this to work.

@Michael Richards - For me, the Korg driver had problems not working, and the occasional crash but it never prevented the installation of Cakewalk, or removed other software (I've also got RME TotalMix installed).  It was simply a driver that wasn't compatible with the latest Windows.  

What you're describing are far more serious problems, which sound like they could be:

1. A failing disk
2. A virus
3. A corrupt Windows installation

You should rule these out in that order.

1. Failing Disk  - right click on your system drive, select properties, then click the "Check" button on the Tools tab.  Your computer should restart to do the check.  If you've got errors, backup the disk ASAP and replace it.  Note that SSD's give very little warning they're about to fail... they just start doing weird things and suddenly die.  HDD's at least start clicking or making strange noises.

2. A virus - right click on your system drive, and select "Scan with Microsoft Defender"

3. Press Windows Key + X, followed by A to enter the power shell, then type the following:

sfc /scannow

If you get errors, type the following:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

You should get a report telling you whether it found any errors, and if it could fix them or not. 

If it found errors but couldn't fix them, as a last resort you can use this... however, you may have to re-install things like redistributables, audio/video drivers etc depending on how much needed to be restored:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Mark, thank you for that very detailed response. I followed you directions and all looks good. The system did not restart when I pressed the Check button. I used Microsoft Defender and the system is clean. Scannow did not find any issues. But, I ran a Scannow earlier today and it did find an issue (I forget what it was) and then fixed the problem. Scannow does not find a problem. Cakewalk still doesn't start.

Thank you, Michael

Who can I go to with this problem?  Cakewalk will not start.

• With Win 11 opened in Admin, Cakewalk will open
  • With Windows opened in my account, Cakewalk screen will come on and then Cakewalk closes
  • My account, by every measure I can tell, operates as administrator
  • I need Cakewalk to work, I need it for my job.

Michael

Given that you had a "Create Process failed; code 740"  (which is to do with the process needing greater privileges),  and Cakewalk runs as admin,  it sounds to me like there's a permissions issue with your normal account.

Until you narrow it down, you could run Cakewalk as admin.

You could also try creating a new user account on the PC and see if that has better luck?

For the record. I connected to Michael's PC via teamviewer and resolved it.
ActController was crashing on startup for some reason (likely the act data got messed up when he had the Nanocontrol)
I found the crash by launching Cakewalk inside windebug which showed the crash site.

Then I renamed his actcontroller dll and Cakewalk immediately started up. After that I removed it from preferences control surfaces, renamed the dll back and added it back to surfaces. Its working fine for him now.

Windebug is the best tool to troubleshoot issues like this when the app is not launching or poofing because it will always show the reason for the exit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Given that you had a "Create Process failed; code 740"  (which is to do with the process needing greater privileges),  and Cakewalk runs as admin,  it sounds to me like there's a permissions issue with your normal account.

Until you narrow it down, you could run Cakewalk as admin.

You could also try creating a new user account on the PC and see if that has better luck?

Mark, I did create a new user account and Cakewalk did not open in that account, either. Strange that it opened in the admin account considering that I witnessed with my own eyes (in Windebug) that the ACT controller was clearly crashing it. I never knew of Windebug, before. What a hip little program.

Michael