HALion 7 Released!

Simeon Amburgey

a bit underwhelming IMO, especially considering they 6 years they have had since H6 - be aware, I think this overwrites V6 so if there is a problem (this is SB so you can guarantee that) you can't simply load up the old version.  Looks like they've dropped VST2 support too, in case that is a problem ?

FWIW Absolute 6 released too - the only change from Av5 is H7 - no other additions

There is also the danger of losing elicenser licenses when upgrading - meaning some stuff will magically disappear from V11 of cubase/nuendo and below.

(as always Simeon, loving the videos)

incidentally, GUI - still not resizable :(

Edited by simon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, great videos as always, Simeon.

I noticed that the upgrade price from HALion Sonic 3 to HALion Sonic 7 Collection (which is what the direct successor now is being called) is the same as if you only have HALion Sonic 3 SE (which came free with Cubase). I find it strange that Steinberg doesn’t acknowledge the current owners of the paid product in any way.

But to be fair, an upgrade to HALion 7 from HALion Sonic 3 is pretty affordable and there doesn’t seem to be an upgrade path for owners of HALion Sonic 3 SE.

One main advantage of the new releases as I see it is the larger GUI, which previously was pretty useless small. Hopefully Groove Agent, which has the same useless small GUI, is next in line for an update.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zo said:

@Simeon Amburgey when loading a program (FM lab) , how do we know and control the Rom used ? or program simply means new presets ? (same architecture as rom) 

There are TWO types of presets LAYER and PROGRAMS. The LAYER Presets are listed according to the synth type and ROM.
LAYERS are the individual sounds and PROGRAMS can contain up to I think 4 Layer presets.

PRESET FILTER       579947747_FMLABLayerPresets.png.016c70e80334e4165e8c1fb1f9078282.png        1045508409_FMLABPRograms.png.1f3e00760ba45963ba5b89fef1c05d8c.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

There are TWO types of presets LAYER and PROGRAMS. The LAYER Presets are listed according to the synth type and ROM.
LAYERS are the individual sounds and PROGRAMS can contain up to I think 4 Layer presets.

PRESET FILTER       579947747_FMLABLayerPresets.png.016c70e80334e4165e8c1fb1f9078282.png        1045508409_FMLABPRograms.png.1f3e00760ba45963ba5b89fef1c05d8c.png

Thks Simeon , on the video i understood this but when you opened some programs , i didn t saw where the layers were and how to access each to modify those , hence my question.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zo said:

Thks Simeon , on the video i understood this but when you opened some programs , i didn t saw where the layers were and how to access each to modify those , hence my question.

Gotcha, sorry for misunderstanding. I need to look deeper into this myself as a lot of this is new territory for me.

Thanks as always,
Simeon

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Just tried downloading and installing the free version but it only offers standalone and AAX installations and not VST! Any ideas why this may be?

Joe,
There is not an option to install the VST3 as that is the default.
The installer gives you an option whether or not you want to install these additional formats.

I do agree that this could be confusing, for instance, you want the AAX version but NOT the VST3, having a VST3 option would be helpful even if it could be considered redundant.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Simeon - I did wonder if that was the case! Glad you have confirmed. It wasn't obvious! Thanks again! Looking forward to watching your walkthrough of the full version which is out of my league pricewise but I can always drool! 

ooh that looks very different - looking forward to tinkering with my Baltic Shimmers library! 

Edited by JoeGBradford
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Zo said:

Zo,
Here is some additional info.

Layered patches will have multiple TABS that indicate the instrument layers.
Most of the instruments I looked at seemed to use only one layer but you can filter the search results to show the Programs that are using multiple layers. Take a look at these screengrabs.

Layer-1.png

You can see here that LAYERED is added as a filter in the Mediabay browser.

Layer-2.png

And here is a program that contains multiple layers, I think you can have up to 4.

I hope that helps,
Simeon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Zo,
Here is some additional info.

Layered patches will have multiple TABS that indicate the instrument layers.
Most of the instruments I looked at seemed to use only one layer but you can filter the search results to show the Programs that are using multiple layers. Take a look at these screengrabs.

Layer-1.png

You can see here that LAYERED is added as a filter in the Mediabay browser.

Layer-2.png

And here is a program that contains multiple layers, I think you can have up to 4.

I hope that helps,
Simeon

Thks Simeon , so basically we access those via tabs ?  cool 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zo said:

Thks Simeon , so basically we access those via tabs ?  cool 

Yep, each layer will live on its own tab so you can access the full array of editing. The tabs do not have to be FM LAB. For instance they can be any zone or instrument you have in your HALion library. You could have a couple of FM LAB layer presets along with a layer of TALES and possibly another zone entirely, like a Wavetable synth, it really opens up some possibilities. 

Hi Simeon,

Great video

21 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Hi Simeon,

A real joy to see you back at work.

I have used HALion a lot over the years and there is no limit to the number of layers aside to the system requirements of the instrument and the resources of your computer.   I would suspect that it works with multiple threads, because you can't layer up with Falcon (IMHO the most similar instrument.

Using Flex Phrasers I would do layers like a bass part, drums, piano and guitars.  You should check this out  You might want to show how they can be incorporated to theses instruments in future videos. . (I haven't watched your FM lab video yet.)  Basically they are super-duper arpegiattors which take their technology from the Motif.  They can be played with one finger, or if you can play--and you sure can!--the results can be amazing, very similar to what you get from ujam pianos.  Where it gets interesting is when you layer instruments with different flex phrases. 

I did a video on this little-known feature once.

Check out the Flamenco Flex Phraser at around 7:40

This is one of the worst videos I ever did, but it is also one of my most popular,  just because many people are curious about how to use them.  I wonder if this new version of HALion makes it easier.   Sadly, Yamaha/Steinberg has expressed no interest in adding more content.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1