Update: Guitar Rig 6.3.0

ALC

17 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Where i find GR6 is great, is when you want to create a unique sound for the guitar, sometimes to the point where it might not even sound like a guitar. I've got other amp sims as well, but i just don't use them, mainly because of the bulky and confusing GUI.

I'm not a guitar player, but rather a synthesizer nut, and I have discovered that GR6 is a great sound design tool. You can create some interesting tones by applying GR6 to any sound source, be it live, sampled, or synthesized! :)

• Like 1

Out of interest, I asked ChatGPT what to do about my computer fans and which is the best amp sim software. Chat GPT has become the definitive authority on everything in my place, here's what it said:

Q. my computer fans are noisy, how can i make them quieter?

A.There are a few things you can try to make your computer fans quieter:

1. Clean the fans: Dust can accumulate on the fans, making them work harder and generate more noise. Use a can of compressed air or a soft brush to clean the fans and make sure they are running smoothly.

2. Adjust fan speeds: If your computer has a BIOS setting or a fan control software, you can adjust the fan speeds to make them run slower and quieter. However, make sure not to set the fans to run too slow as it may cause your computer to overheat.

3. Upgrade fans: If your fans are old or low-quality, consider upgrading to newer, quieter fans. Look for fans that have a low decibel (dB) rating and a higher airflow rating.

4. Check the placement of your computer: Make sure your computer has adequate space around it and is not placed in a cramped or enclosed area, which can cause the fans to work harder and generate more noise.

5. Use sound-dampening materials: You can use sound-dampening materials, such as acoustic foam or rubber feet, to reduce the amount of noise that escapes from your computer. These materials can absorb and dissipate sound waves, making your computer quieter.

By trying out these steps, you should be able to reduce the noise from your computer fans.

Q. What is the best guitar amp sim software?

A. There are many guitar amp sim software options available, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Here are a few of the most popular ones:

1. Bias FX 2: Bias FX 2 is a popular guitar amp sim software that offers a wide variety of amp models, effects, and cabinet simulations. It's known for its high-quality sound and customization options, allowing users to create their own unique tones.

2. Amplitube: Amplitube is another popular amp sim software that offers a wide range of amp models and effects. It also has a user-friendly interface, making it easy to use for both beginners and advanced users.

3. Guitar Rig: Guitar Rig is a well-regarded amp sim software that features a wide range of amp models and effects. It's known for its intuitive interface and high-quality sound.

4. Helix Native: Helix Native is a popular amp sim software that's modeled after Line 6's Helix hardware unit. It offers a wide range of amp models, effects, and cabinet simulations, and is known for its high-quality sound and versatility.

5. S-Gear: S-Gear is a lesser-known but highly regarded amp sim software that's known for its high-quality amp models and effects. It offers a user-friendly interface and is particularly well-suited for blues and rock tones.

Ultimately, the best guitar amp sim software will depend on your personal preferences and the type of music you're playing. It's a good idea to try out a few different options to see which one works best for you.

• Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, locrian said:

Have you encountered any issues with the E-cores / P-cores architecture?  Specifically that slower E-cores could create a bottleneck and/or degrade core load balancing, or result in lower performance due to their lower thread count?  And what about the 13900's lower total thread count vs that of the 7950x?

I've read several posts about these types of issues and so am a bit hesitant to stay with Intel at this point.

I've tested the 7950x and 13900k/s extensively. 

13900k's Efficient cores don't bottleneck/degrade performance. 

Keep in mind they're running at 4.3-4.4GHz. 

7950x's base clock speed is 4.5GHz

13900k bests the 7950x in both single-core and multi-core performance.  

13900k and 7950x can both run IK's ToneX plugin at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size (~0.5ms total round-trip latency).

Both the 7950x and 13900k have 32 processing threads.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I've tested the 7950x and 13900k/s extensively. 

13900k's Efficient cores don't bottleneck/degrade performance. 

Keep in mind they're running at 4.3-4.4GHz. 

7950x's base clock speed is 4.5GHz

13900k bests the 7950x in both single-core and multi-core performance.  

13900k and 7950x can both run IK's ToneX plugin at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size (~0.5ms total round-trip latency).

Both the 7950x and 13900k have 32 processing threads.

How does Apple Silicon M1/M2 stack up?

25 minutes ago, ALC said:

How does Apple Silicon M1/M2 stack up?

M1 is nowhere in the ballpark of the 13900k.

Haven't tested the M2 (yet).

Looking at Cinebench R23 scores, M2's multi-core score is nowhere close to 40k.

13900k is a workstation CPU (requiring massive cooling).

The Apple M1 and M2 chips are not (and Apple doesn't market them as such)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tezza said:

3. Upgrade fans: If your fans are old or low-quality, consider upgrading to newer, quieter fans. Look for fans that have a low decibel (dB) rating and a higher airflow rating.

If you're looking for new fans, it's worth giving Noctua a look. The colours might not appeal to some, but I don't see that as a problem as they go inside the case.

6 hours ago, antler said:

If you're looking for new fans, it's worth giving Noctua a look. The colours might not appeal to some, but I don't see that as a problem as they go inside the case.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, but the computer is new and i had so called "silent fans" installed when it was built. Not sure I would switch them out, but worth investigating.

I'll give another vote to Noctua fans.  When I built my current PC in 2021, I did a lot of research regarding noise because my previous machine was quite loud with fan noise.  I'm using a Noctua NH-D15S on a 10900K and it's completely silent and keeps it cool enough.  (Of course newer CPUs may demand more cooling.)  I also researched cases and their fans for optimal airflow, and my fans don't have to run at full speed most of the time, which helps.  I also researched the noise of graphics cards, because that was the loudest source of fan noise in my previous one, and each manufacturer varies in how well they implement fans.  I ended up with a RTX 3070 that is silent even at 100% load (gaming) -- of course, case airflow matters on this, too.  It was a lot of research, but resulted in a high-performance PC that is quiet.  So it is possible...

Cleaning dust out also helps, too -- which I need to do soon.

You might also check in your BIOS if your motherboard has fans -- some newer ones do, which are small and often noisy, and perhaps their speed can be adjusted, too, in addition to having the CPU & case fans adjust their speeds based on case temperature.

• Like 1