Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones

cclarry

Refurbished though.

$149 for new

Taking of which I just asked Audio-Technica if it was possible to replace the headband padding as the vinyl covering on mine is cracked and flaking big time and they wanted £42 ($52 US) just to "inspect" them after I already sent them a picture of the flaking. Apparently they cannot give a price without me agreeing to this minimum charge so whatever they plan to charge for the actually replacing the padding is over and above that. If I don't want to pay that price then I'm still out of pocket by about half what it would cost to buy a new pair.  Nice headphones but lousy way to treat customers especially when a few minutes online shows that this flaking is quite a common problem . I really like them, but I wouldn't buy any more after this.

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

Refurbished though.

$149 for new

Taking of which I just asked Audio-Technica if it was possible to replace the headband padding as the vinyl covering on mine is cracked and flaking big time and they wanted £42 ($52 US) just to "inspect" them after I already sent them a picture of the flaking. Apparently they cannot give a price without me agreeing to this minimum charge so whatever they plan to charge for the actually replacing the padding is over and above that. If I don't want to pay that price then I'm still out of pocket by about half what it would cost to buy a new pair.  Nice headphones but lousy way to treat customers especially when a few minutes online shows that this flaking is quite a common problem . I really like them, but I wouldn't buy any more after this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183359488897

If you guys are in the market for headphones and you're OK with open headphones I'd recommend the Philips Fidelio X2. . . $150 on Amazon right now and they are amazing.  I just compared a few headphones and these are by far the best in my opinion anywhere in this price range.

I was looking into what it would take to replace my ATH-M50X headband and found this reddit "guide" if you can solder you should be able to do it.  Assuming you can actually get ATH to send the parts/etc.

A video of the repair:

Image guide:

o8qzgggvypa11.jpg

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I was looking into what it would take to replace my ATH-M50X headband and found this reddit "guide" if you can solder you should be able to do it.  Assuming you can actually get ATH to send the parts/etc.

Thanks for the info. I don't have soldering equipment but anyway they said that they're "not allowed" to just supply the replacement padding. I guess if all else fails there's always gaffer tape. Pretty annoying given that they've only had home use and always hung up when not in use. Never had this issue with any other headphones, most of them much cheaper.

• Like 1

I really want to put more padding on the top of the M50X's.  They kind of hurt the top of my head.  But sadly none of the zipper/velcro padding replacements/warp arrounds seem to really help in that area.  You can get a cheap soldering iron at any hardware store.  It's really not that difficult a skill.  The wear on mine aren't so bad it's unusable yet.  May just find another set.  I like the M50X but the headband isn't all that great.