Magic Acid, Soundforge, Vegas

kitekrazy

Sound Forge was one of my favorite pieces of software, back in the days of Sonic Foundry. The developers were very active on the web, and participated in the old Cakewalk newsgroup. I seem to remember a nice fellow named Peter Haller (?) - that may have been during the early Sony days, though.

I kind of missed Sound Forge when I switched to Mac but when it was eventually ported, I 'd found an alternative, and did not really have a use for an audio editor all that much anyway. Glad I did not buy it because they seem to have discontinued that Mac version.

Didn't know Acid still was being developped. As revolutionary as it was when it came out, with looping available in every DAW,  I'm not sure what's its place in the current market. The advertised regular price tag seems beyond ridiculous.

1349474591_ScreenShot2023-02-16at9_29_48PM.png.72dab073dbd4d5dbef9d7c2804be34dc.png

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

Inside my version of Acid Pro 9 It is showing up over here as an upgrade for $99 .00 ....

fSAX6ft.jpg

That seems reasonable considering some DAW companies are more than happy to throw the Upgrade price book at you if you miss a paid upgrade or two ....

Now as far as the 2 grand plus price I think they are just trying to create a market value based on some of the products they are throwing in as perks ...

Many of them were rather pricey back before Magix started adding them in to entice and acquire  more customers ...

Example ...I paid around 2 bills for the full version of Vandal back in the day and to be quite honest I was happy with what I got ...they are throwing that one in the full version of Acid Pro and they have been for some time ...

Then when you add up the Independence full and all the plug in suites as list prices I guess  that is how they are getting close to that 2 grand figure ...

To take it over to there to that "price figure " I suppose when you add in Izotope ( the version they offer )  Melodyne and some of the Brainworks stuff ...it may appear very close to their Magic  2 grand number ....

FWIW I still happen to like the program very much even  in today's modern times ...PS as I have mentioned I'm on Acid Pro 9 .

In addition to creating music from scratch I have used Acid Pro to transcribe music and I have created unique teaching aids for getting better at the guitar .
The workflow and what can be accomplished using Acid Pro lends itself rather well for sound design and creating music for film ..

Even though Acid Pro is not a full fledged Film editor it features an easy work flow for creating film music and has for some time ...

Hey if you don't believe me try creating film music in side Ableton Live only or Cakewalk only where you monitor the video inside these wonderful DAW programs and see how far you get 😉 Easy Peasy inside Acid ....

Acid Pro  might not be the newest slickest DAW on the block these days but hey to each his own I say ...If you happen to find something you like cool keep on using it ...if not don't worry keep on looking  and if your lucky you may go from being a seeker to becoming a finder ...

Peace out

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

That's great insight, Kenny. And valid points.

Honestly, I've not worked with Acid in over 2 decades, so I really wouldn't know. Amusingly the last time I used it was to write music for a short documentary. 

I'd written 5 of the 6 pieces of music in Cakewalk Pro Audio and still needed a little filler fo some inconsequential part - didn't really need to be musical. So I quickly put a little something together in Acid and then sent it for review along with the rest. They loved that bit so much that they asked me to redo the whole thing more like that one. To be delivered the next day before noon. And I'd already pulled an all-nighter the night before, so it took a lot of coffee, but by 8 the next morning I was done. 

That was in 2000, I was still on a dial-up modem. It literally took hours to upload those songs to a shared storage space. But they had all the songs on the drive just before noon and were super happy with them.

I thought they were a bunch of philistines, preferring that junk over the stuff I'd put my heart into - but the paycheck was nice. lol

But yeah - Acid saved the day.

Edited by Rain
  • Haha 1

Acid still has a following.  If it had a separate window for midi editing it would be great.   I still use Soundforge instead of RX7 because I'm use to it. I have Vegas but rarely touch it.  It use to be popular as a mixing environment.

I like what Sony did by keeping the GUIs similar.

I still have those Sony tutorial series which were $99 back in the day. They did tutorials right since they had the project files with them.  The use to make money on their loops which are top notch.   The ones from Magix are inferior and have odd licensing.

When they went away some went to Mixcraft.

There's a deal in the Samplitude upgrade for $149 that comes with Soundforge.  If they threw in Acid as part of the package I'm in.

17 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

TBH for years now I have been "upgrading" Soundforge, Acid and VEGAS via regular HUMBLE BUNDLES featuring all of them of a reasonably regular basis .. for princely sum of approx €25

Now at VEGAS 18 Pro & Soundforge Pro 13

yep, humble bundle is the only reason i got as far as sound forge v13 (x64 woo!)

15 hours ago, Wibbles said:

I'm stuck at Sound Forge XP 4.0 that came free with a SoundBlaster from some time around or before 1997.

It still gets used occasionally (on Windows 10) for topping and tailing samples (16 bit or lower samples only).

@Wibbles  I would keep an eye on HUMBLE BUNDLE so - https://www.humblebundle.com

They WILL have an audio bundle at some point in a while with  Soundforge Pro 14 in it along with possibly a newer version of ACID and VEGAS .. all for around $25 or so. Always an absolute steal and a no brainer. 

Last HB Audio bundle had Soundforge Pro 13 .. it always 2 or 3 steps behind the current version which is  SF Pro 16 at the mo.

30 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@Wibbles  I would keep an eye on HUMBLE BUNDLE so - https://www.humblebundle.com

They WILL have an audio bundle at some point in a while with  Soundforge Pro 14 in it along with possibly a newer version of ACID and VEGAS .. all for around $25 or so. Always an absolute steal and a no brainer. 

Last HB Audio bundle had Soundforge Pro 13 .. it always 2 or 3 steps behind the current version which is  SF Pro 16 at the mo.

I do see those offers at Humble Bundle and have been tempted in the past, but have always wondered whether I'd get any real use out of an update. 

Three years ago I picked up Corel Paint Shop Pro 2019 at a steal from Humble as an update to a beta of version 5 from 1998 ... I still use version 5. :D

14 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

I do see those offers at Humble Bundle and have been tempted in the past, but have always wondered whether I'd get any real use out of an update. 

Three years ago I picked up Corel Paint Shop Pro 2019 at a steal from Humble as an update to a beta of version 5 from 1998 ... I still use version 5. :D

Well @Wibbles you are getting $400 worth of software for $25 AND alot more in that bundle besides Sound forge, but for the $25 SF alone is well worth it