how to change tempo without messing up recorded audio

GBTBassist

Question

Hi fellow CbB users.

I've run into an issue where I have finished recording all the analogue instruments and now decided to speed up certain sections. When I do this the analogue audio starts to glitch all over the place. I want to be able to speed up in places and slow down in others (as if it were a live recording). I've read about tempo maps but cant find anything within the documentation that describes how to do this for analogue AND synth/midi based instruments.

I can, for example use the tempo map to increase the tempo of the EZ Drummer track but the audio might or might not follow suit but always glitches (to the point that all controls become unresponsive and I have to force quit through Task Manager - Windows 10 fully patched, cakewalk fully patched).

Anyone out there that can lead me by the nose on how to do it or confirm that its not possible to use a tempo map on the fly like this?

Many thanks

GBT

4 answers to this question

I don't know about why the audio would be glitching, but if you make the audio into groove clips using the inspector panel, then they should follow the tempo of the song. However, the quality of the audio will degrade as the tempo is moved further from the recorded tempo

Another option is to split the audio clips up and then manually stretch them to the correct length. Then once stretched, bounce them to insure that the offline algorithm is used to preserve the audio quality.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.08.html

Edited by reginaldStjohn

On 2/15/2023 at 1:45 AM, GBTBassist said:

When I do this the analogue audio starts to glitch all over the place.

This should not happen. It should continue to play at its internal tempo, getting cut when a new clip comes, etc. But not just glitch unpredictably.

to the point that all controls become unresponsive and I have to force quit through Task Manager

It sounds like your PC can't handle the load, which can have many reasons. If you've set online rendering to the quality of offline rendering, for example, or (I think we can rule that out) a too weak processor, or too many background tasks, or a defective driver of your audio interface.

I've read about tempo maps but cant find anything within the documentation that describes how to do this for analogue AND synth/midi based instruments.

By default, audio clips always use their internal tempo and don't follow tempo changes. You have to activate this behavior first. Many use AudioSnap for this. If you want to use that, you should however always check the popup menu that says "average tempo:  " Sometimes it couldn't successfully detect the actual tempo it was recorded in. If you then set it to follow tempo changes by activating "Clip follows Project", the results will of course be weird. So make sure, AudioSnap uses the correct original tempo of the audio clip. If you can't, you can follow John Vere's video, which will make sure that the clips definitely have the correct tempo.

But remember, allowing audio clips to follow tempo changes introduces realtime rendering: all audio has to be stretched with heavy calculations involved to preserve formants (otherwise you would end with the Micky Mouse effect). On my CPU, a Ryzen 5 5600G, I can set the realtime quality equal to the offline quality without issues, but I also never used it on more than two tracks at once. It might be neccessary to lower the quality for realtime rendering, to avoid problems.

Hi @tulamide @John Vere @reginaldStjohn

Just got back to look at this and, after groove looping all the analogue audio while in the original tempo, I can now adjust the song tempo👏👏. As you said, this will only work so far as the artifacts within the audio tracks can clip/distort/glitch if you move the timebase of the song (resample) too far from the original tempo.

You are all lifesavers as I didn't want to rerecord the 20 or so different analogue audio tracks just to uptempo them.

Thanks for your time and input👍🤘

GBT

• Like 1