Motherboard Shipments Plummet by Ten Million Units in 2022: Report

kitekrazy

I would imagine those are more in demand than people buying boards.

I built my 9900k system for around $800 and I only used the previous drives. That included my nVidia 1660.  This was during the Covid summer when prices were low.

How are MSI boards?   I've only used Gigabyte, Asus, and AsRock.   I think the last time I had an MSI board when AMD came out with 2 different sockets of their 1st 64 bit CPUs.  

1 minute ago, craigb said:

Hey!  It's a Jim sighting! 😁

Hey Jim, is the availability of video cards suitable for gaming and other high-end usage gotten any better?

It's the pricing that was the issue.

If I do another budget AMD build it will probably be an APU.  I'm still using a 9800GT in my FX3600 system.  I have a Geforce 210 somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

As for gaming I'm starting to replay games that came out during the XP/W7 era.  I'm not too fond of newer games as many are reaching 100gb.  Most games I've come across on forums often have a 1TB OS drive.

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

It's the pricing that was the issue.

Not around here!  Sure, the prices got very stupid, but there literally weren't any cards available at any price for awhile.  When I was doing IT Consulting, we had customers that needed high-end cards (they would map how smoke flows through a building among other cool projects), but we couldn't find cards at all.  One day I was at Best Buy around 2pm and there was a crowd lining a wall outside as if waiting for concert tickets to go on sale.  When I asked what they were doing, I was told they were camping out to be first in line for some cards that were coming in the next morning!  Crazy! 😮

• Like 1

16 hours ago, craigb said:

Hey!  It's a Jim sighting! 😁

Hey Jim, is the availability of video cards suitable for gaming and other high-end usage gotten any better?

Supply is certainly more consistent.

Pricing has stabilized (as in not insanely high).

RTX-4090 is available this instant... (~$1800-$2200) 🤪

13 hours ago, craigb said:

Not around here!  Sure, the prices got very stupid, but there literally weren't any cards available at any price for awhile.  When I was doing IT Consulting, we had customers that needed high-end cards (they would map how smoke flows through a building among other cool projects), but we couldn't find cards at all.  One day I was at Best Buy around 2pm and there was a crowd lining a wall outside as if waiting for concert tickets to go on sale.  When I asked what they were doing, I was told they were camping out to be first in line for some cards that were coming in the next morning!  Crazy! 😮

It was the same at the local Micro Center.

Mostly younger folks (looked a bit like a homeless camp with sleeping bags/tents)... waiting in line for a *chance* to get the next day's shipment of RTX-3xxx video cards.

You had to use an ID at purchase.  You could only purchase one RTX card per month.

Kids were waiting in line, getting their allotted RTX video card, then scalping it on eBay.

At one point, there were almost riots.  That's when they went to a "Lottery" style draw.   No more camping.

Crazy!

Now, it's not nearly that bad. 

ie: When the RTX-4xxx series runs out, there's usually a shipment in one to two weeks.

Prices just haven't come down as low as we'd expected.

• Like 1