TONEX pedal

Sander Verstraten

12 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Nobody wants to run a Tubescreamer without an amp.  🤪

The more I think about it, 3 switchable dirt slots in one unit has massive appeal.  This is basically how I treat my King of Tone.  Two independent channels which is stackable to give the 3rd.  However that creates a compromise in how one side is set up.  With toneX you could setup all 3 exactly how you want each and you could venture into more circuits to switch between or even stack and capture.  

I think I just convinced myself I need two of these on my board instead of boutique dirt boxes, which I can capture.

• Like 2

whenever i watch those guys, i am always happy and amazed at the same time. amazed that there are so many people out there who have so much more gear than me. and happy that i don't have as much gear as them as i am always trying to not accumulate more junk in  my home that will ultimately wind up in a pile of dead electronics one day. 

• Like 2

I took a lap through the factory presets. There's a lot of good stuff in there. A few observations playing through them with my '91 Strat plus:

The EQ is super functional and sensitive. Small moves make a big difference.  I made eq changes on just about every preset and it made a huge difference.

A lot of the presets were gain heavy. Once I dialed them back a bit they sounded more to my liking. 

The  noise gate works great but needed to be adjusted on most high gain presets.

I found myself toggling between the amp settings ( gain, bass, mid, etc.) and alternate settings (reverb, comp, noise gate, etc.) often. 

The bank up function does not wrap back around to bank 0 once you get to 49.

I'm pretty stoked about this pedal and I can see me building a pedal board around it. It sounds awesome out of the box. I haven't hooked it up to the Tonex software yet but I'm sure I'll be able to get it dialed. I 'm in a bit of limbo getting my new music room set up so I didn't a-b it against the Quad Cortex but I'm sure it will hold it's own. I.m.o. it doesn't really compete in the same space as the QC. The QC is more of an all-in-one unit complete with effects and the Tonex pedal is more of a collection of amps with a built in compressor and noise gate. I think a steal and a no brainer at this price point especially if you have Jam points. 

I think an effects loop would have been a huge benefit but then again I've never minded putting time based effects in front of my vintage amps.

An onboard tuner would be a nice addition. 

My biggest request is for global eq to high pass and low pass. 

Any who, I'm off to clean out the room that's soon to be my music room.

• Like 1