Comping isn't working correctly

Russell Alexander

Hi all,

I never used comping much, but now I've started to take advantage of it.  I'm having trouble hearing the composite before I actually create a composite track.  For example, I made six vocal tracks.  I select a piece from track 6, then the end of that phrase from track 5.  In order to play it back with Shift-space (and dim, so I can hear the band behind it) one of the lanes needs to be selected.  But if I do that, I just hear that whole lane, not the splits that I selected.  If I select the main track, all six lanes play.

This can't be right.  What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help!

- Russ

Yes, I watched that yesterday.  But if you notice, he doesn't actually play through the whole track.  He plays each section, then right arrows to the next, but never plays through the whole thing.  Another YouTube does, and it just works.   When I do it, it doesn't.  I select a "to-from" that covers a few sections, hit Shift-space and the lane just plays through, even if the next section is in a different lane.  It only seems to work when I just play it normally, and then (for whatever reason) the dim button doesn't work.  That is, it doesn't work if I don't have that vocal track selected.  If I do have the track selected, than ALL the lanes play.

I know, it doesn't work that way.  But it's working that way for me, and I can't seem to figure out why.  

- Russ

I think I either answered my own question or came up with a workaround.  If there is a better way, please let me know.

I played it "regular" without using dim, I just lowered everything except the vocals - sort of a manual "dim".  Now I can hear the edits with the music in the background.  Not ideal, but it's all I can think of for now. 

- Russ