Why isn't the Super Bowl on a Saturday? Also, who are you rooting for?

hockeyjx

89359533_10157316603392582_6665512329670557696_n.thumb.jpg.c6eabd902d254891001365157f628859.jpg

The Boston Bruins and the Toronto Maple Leafs. :P

I've been here for over 10 years but I've not figured out football yet. And this is by no mean intended to put off the sport, but all the celebrating on the field kind of turns me off. I'm not condemning it or anything, it's just not for me. I'm old and boring like that.

It's not exclusive to football and it seems to be becoming more common in hockey, too. The game has become very exciting, the level of playing is phenomenal, but a lot of what goes on around the game is kind of cringey for an old dude like myself. I guess I'm just too set in my ways.

My favorite hockey player of all time is Bobby Orr, and unless we're talking about a drought ending, Stanley cup winning goal, the man would typically just bow his head and exchange a few pats on the back with his teammates. That's more in line with my tastes.

See, invite a Canadian to speak Superbowl and before you know it, he'll be talking about hockey.

Sorry.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

I played hockey (hey, I was trying to be an Olympic speed skater when I was young!) but, amazingly, I never damaged my teeth (from hockey).  I did, however, have over 230 stitches in my chin and under my nose though...  Not all at the same time!  In fact, the last time the doctor put in 19 stitches.   At that time, I may have been the fastest skater, but I was tall and very skinny so I tended to not be able to absorb checks well and found myself hitting the ice chin first often.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was tall and quite skinny, but I played rather nasty. I grew up admiring tough players like Terry O'Reilly and Cam Neely, so I guess I modelled myself after them a  lot.

I'd hit guys I would have never dared go up against in real life. I was lucky - not one tooth lost, not one stitch.

My younger brother would come home with a concussion or  missing teeth, and he played clean hockey - -but for some reason, I got through unarmed.

I eventually broke my arm in a fall, but kept playing, because, hockey...

Then I fell again and made it worse. 

That ended my hockey "career" - not being able to play guitar made the decision easy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, craigb said:

I played hockey (hey, I was trying to be an Olympic speed skater when I was young!) but, amazingly, I never damaged my teeth (from hockey).  I did, however, have over 230 stitches in my chin and under my nose though...  Not all at the same time!  In fact, the last time the doctor put in 19 stitches.   At that time, I may have been the fastest skater, but I was tall and very skinny so I tended to not be able to absorb checks well and found myself hitting the ice chin first often.

I played a lot of hockey, including for my town and high school, and managed to keep my teeth. They are all originals!

Got stitches a few times, separated my shoulder twice - that was fun - and ended my career courtesy of an epic ankle injury I sustained in the summer break on a trampoline. My skating never really recovered from that, and between my ruined ankle and all the damage I did to my knee joints over the years, I had to find a better way to channel my energy. 

These days, when the weather is cold and damp, I limp up and down the stairs like someone twice my age.  

16 hours ago, Rain said:

I was tall and quite skinny, but I played rather nasty. I grew up admiring tough players like Terry O'Reilly and Cam Neely, so I guess I modelled myself after them a  lot.

I'd hit guys I would have never dared go up against in real life. I was lucky - not one tooth lost, not one stitch.

My younger brother would come home with a concussion or  missing teeth, and he played clean hockey - -but for some reason, I got through unarmed.

I eventually broke my arm in a fall, but kept playing, because, hockey...

Then I fell again and made it worse. 

That ended my hockey "career" - not being able to play guitar made the decision easy.

I loved guys like Clarke, O'Reilly and Neely but I never wanted to play like them. Didn't like high traffic or the corners all that much, and I really didn't like getting hit. 

Nowadays I watch hockey obsessively, and wait for the Leafs to win something, anything, in the playoffs. 

16 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I mean, hockey is in my NAME! And I'm South Jersey born and raised, GO FLYERS!!

Not a Devils fan?

As for the big game: I'll be watching, and I suppose I'm rooting for KC -- although in truth I'd be happy if it was simply good, competitive game. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

Not a Devils fan?

As for the big game: I'll be watching, and I suppose I'm rooting for KC -- although in truth I'd be happy if it was simply good, competitive game. 

New Jersey is split in half to the NY(north) and Philly(south) media markets. I was born and raised rooting for all things Philly(which was only 15 minutes away).

I want the Eagles to win andI don't care if it is good and/or competitive if they can win the game .... a close game is stressful! 🤪

• Like 1