IK Tonex and Tone Net

Steve Patrick

I'm finally getting around to try and figure out IK's Tonex (I have the SE version) and Tone Net's downloadable captures.  So far it's not making my putter flutter.

I'm a fan of Paul from the Studio Rats on YouTube and IK sent an email out linking to him capturing his Bad Cat Cub with Tonex.  The video had a link to Tone Net and instructions for what to search for.  But no matter how or where I searched on Tone Net (or Tonex) no such amp existed.  

Anyone here using Tone Net??  Hip me, will ya!

• Like 1

• I don't use Tonex, but I found it (maybe).
    • Make sure ToneNet is active [green dot in upper right]
    • Search for bad cat cub [center of the Tonex UI]
    • I found 4 listed [bottom panel] 
      • Bad Cat Cub 111 30 R- Drive 
      • Bad Cat Cub 111 30 R- Clean 
      • KPA Bad Cat Cub 40R - Drive
      • KPA Bad Cat Cub 15W - Drive
    • The first two are from The Studio Rat

Maybe the top 2 models are the ones referenced in the e-mail & link provided. Not sure. 

From playing around with TONEX CS briefly, I saw that we can mix and match components (amp, cab, stomp). So if you like the clean Bad Cat Cub 111 30 R amp, you can use that with other modeled components.  Maybe that might appeal to you.

I defer to guitarists for aesthetic considerations of the different models and combinations. 

PS: I did the search using no filters. If you have filters on, that might keep you from seeing models.  (The list filter is activated by the icon that looks like a funnel.) 

Edited by User 905133
(3) to add a comment about the filter; (2) to add a comment about mixing up components; (1) to add details about the 4 models I found
  • Thanks 1

Just like with the Kemper,  ToneX "Captures" vary radically (in quality).

If you're talking about accuracy, ToneX does a better job than Kemper or Quad Cortex.

I'd rank them in this order (owned/used all of them)

1. ToneX
  2. Quad Cortex
  3. Kemper

In order to make a proper Capture, you need an audio interface with re-amp features... or an external re-amp box.

Some folks are making Captures using nothing but the I/O on a $100 audio interface.  That's not going to sound accurate.

As a quick test, I captured the Friedman BE-100 model from Line-6 Helix.

Extremely close in sound/response

My recent obsession has been keyboard/synths (not guitars/amps).

I have a 20th Ecstasy and Tri-Amp mk3 (and numerous boost/drive pedals) acquired specifically for making Captures.

Just need to find the time to actually make them.

My advice is to grab both ToneX and Amplitube 5.

You can then use ToneX within Amplitube 5 (much more capability/flexibility).

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:57 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

It's been leaked that IK will release a ToneX in pedal form.

Rumor has it priced at ~$500

If true, they will fly off shelves.

I saw that as well, I think ToneJunkie had a vid on it.  I'm watching to see if it comes out in the next couple of weeks.  I've only played with ToneX for a few minutes on my recent tracking session and it sounded pretty good.  I noticed it would cost me $99-$149 dependent on version for the software purchase.  I am guessing they might bundle the software with hardware if it comes out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Michael Parson-McNamara said:

Since  the ToneX Pedal "Includes TONEX MAX software all-in-one player, modeler and librarian and AmpliTube 5 software" and I assume we can use Jam Points.  Then $280 seems pretty reasonable! 

Yes, that mage it a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So far, I'm not impressed with what TONEX offers. It's not as flexible as Amplitube, being effectively a glorified preset player that occupies 7 GB of disk space, it doesn't integrate well with Amplitube and all the sounds that come in the free version can be recreated with Amplitube by combining the amps that come with it. The simple fact that you have to pay to have access to user created presets and use them makes it worse.

Yup...I think most folks don't know the difference between profiling and modeling.  A profile just captures a certain state of the amp/cab where a model is a complete working clone of the original amp/cab.  As a profiler...Tonex is quite something.  Especially at it's price point.  But to me the modelers are much more useful.

50 minutes ago, Steve Patrick said:

Yup...I think most folks don't know the difference between profiling and modeling.  A profile just captures a certain state of the amp/cab where a model is a complete working clone of the original amp/cab.  As a profiler...Tonex is quite something.  Especially at it's price point.  But to me the modelers are much more useful.

I agree. I think the pedal is nice if you're playing live and want to ditch the amp or add a couple channels to an amp. What it does it does well and at a good price point, but in my home studio I prefer to use modelers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

I think the cool part about Profiles/Captures/Clones is that you can "virtualize" your real amps/pedals.

You can then load any of these Captures into Amplitube 5... which offers a lot of flexibility.

RE your comment; can this be done with only the ToneX Pedal (and AT)?  Or is the ToneX capture required, also?  

1 hour ago, Michael Parson-McNamara said:

is the ToneX capture required

No. Tonex software is required, if you have the pedal, Tonex Max is included.
There are dozens of videos on YouTube, here is one.

You don't even need the pedal. Tonex CS does not included the capture function but Tonex does, currently $99 at IKM.
Capture your amps and use them in Amp 5 as Jim suggested above.

HTH...

t

• Thanks 1