Orb Composer Pro S 1.5

Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

$40 at Plugin Boutique

https://www.pluginboutique.com/manufacturers/232-Orb-Plugins

Note that this is the old product, new development is being done in Orb Producer, and there is no crossgrade path, but at this price it may be worth it, compositional aid tools rarely get big discounts.

I think at this point Plugin Boutique is the only store that still sells licenses for this (not even Orb's page)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was intrigued when I saw this a day or two ago. I'd advise anyone thinking of grabbing it to kick the tires pretty thoroughly; everyone's mileage will vary, but the recent feedback I saw -- including a post here from last January and several other posts and reviews on various sites -- led me to personally give it a pass.

It may also be helpful to know that, according to MSD, it appears PB had Composer Pro S 1.5 on sale at $40 for all of December. The chart suggests it was on sale for $85 multiple times through most of 2022, so if $40 is the new going rate, you might expect to see this one come around again (and again, and again...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 4:08 PM, John Maar said:

I'm interested to see how these compare to Captain Plugins Epic.

taken from this thread in KVR: Orb Producer Suite vs. Captain Plugins vs. Liquid Music - Effects Forum - KVR Audio

I think Orb Producer and Captain plugins are from GUI (Captain plugins was years before Orb producer.....  and (easy) handling very compatible but very different in the engines in the background that drive that "generative" or whatever aspect.

While Captain plugins is (mostly) based on styles and presets (apart from the melody generator which is - as far as I know - the best out there for the "easy" ones - so that dont cover Rapid Composer for example) the generative engine in Orb producer is based on Orb Composer which means really generative based on theoretical parameters that are more or less understandeable (for example I still dont really understand the connection between "Density" and "Complexity") but gives you real freedomn in generating ANYTHING.

Its easy to use in general but as it is STILL badly explained (these videos in cartoon tempo are a bad joke to me....) some very important basics that really makes the power of this app are sometimes hard to find (not because they are difficult or complex but cause they are simply NOT in any manual
and not explained anywhere else).

Liquid music years ago I failed on the one hand just getting into this on the other hand had lots of contact with support with requests and questions. Now years and some bigger updates (which seem to solve some of the requests) have gone by and I am just to interested in the concept to not give it another try now. So I cant really judge the actual version at the moment.

Simple conclusion: for me there is no "best" of the three cause the concepts, even if the GUI SEEMS quite similiar (I wont comment more on this...), is absolutley different. For me at the moment the decision between Orb producer and Captain plugins is song-idea based and composing-needs based. So for example if I have a generative midi track from Wotja with no chords or anything for further use I choose Orb Producer 2 for its new harmonize midi function. If I want to sketch something quickly where the existing mostly "modern" patterns might fit for a start I might take Captain plugins which had the plus for this of an integrated drum module.

here is a review of both (and InstaComposer as well): video

Edited by Pollux
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pollux said:

taken from this thread in KVR: Orb Producer Suite vs. Captain Plugins vs. Liquid Music - Effects Forum - KVR Audio

here is a review of both (and InstaComposer as well): video

I saw that review on KVR, but not the video. I also have InstaComposer, so that quick 6 minute video might be interesting. Thanks for sharing.