HiHat Pedal for a Wawa?

parboo12

Just was just fooling around trying to get it going to see if I could.

I got a set of Roland TD11 drums. I noticed TH3 got a bunch of midi stuff and was wondering if I could use the hi hat pedal controller for a wawa pedal, if I had to.

I had no luck, but I'm certainly no expert in this. If TH3 is not good, I got the scaled down version of TH2 too.

Anybody have detailed instructions how I would go about it, or is it possible?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Thus, yes... it could potentially be used to control a Wah effect.

Wouldn't you only be able to turn it On/Off though ?

Since Wah is depended on variable resistance I cant see how you could use it accurately Since hi hat typically only gives you 2 options. 

Open, closed midi CC.

Roland drum modules send CC4 (foot controller) from the hi hat position sensor.  This can easily be used to control wah wah effect in a guitar program.  Although the extra weight of the hi hat pad up and down combined with the short distance of the sensor might not work great.  I do have a vh11 with my homemade accoustic/electric  kit (accoustic drums and 3 tmc6 midi converters. So I’m familiar with it’s CCs. 

With Guitar Rig 5 it’s simple as changing Guitar Rigs plugin properties to Configure As Synth (reload plugin if already loaded) then add a midi track that is pointed to Guitar Rig and then click Learn in Guitar rig on the Wah Wah slider, wiggle the pedal and Presto Chang-o... Hi Hat Wah Wah!!

But if ya don’t want to change plug in properties or if TH3 doesn’t have a learn function (don’t use it so I don’t know), you can use ACT  to set up effects control from any CC to Your  plugins parameters.  I’ve used it both ways with Guitar Rig 5! 😉.  

16 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Wouldn't you only be able to turn it On/Off though ?

Since Wah is depended on variable resistance I cant see how you could use it accurately Since hi hat typically only gives you 2 options. 

Open, closed midi CC.

On eDrum Kits with really simple HiHat function, it's a switch (on/off) "closed" or "open".

On more advanced eDrum Kits (like Roland's higher-end Vdrums), the HiHat controller (constantly) sends MIDI continuous controller data (to represent the foot pressure on the HiHat).  I believe it sends CC# 4 (by default).

• Like 1

Put TH3 in the regular FX bin and enable it for midi input from the drop down at the top of the effect. Then route your midi from a midi input track to the TH3 output item. Then open the TH3 VST and use midi learn. Click the wah wah and choose learn, touch the midi controller then click ok on the midi learn. That's all you have to do.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

Put TH3 in the regular FX bin and enable it for midi input from the drop down at the top of the effect. Then route your midi from a midi input track to the TH3 output item. Then open the TH3 VST and use midi learn. Click the wah wah and choose learn, touch the midi controller then click ok on the midi learn. That's all you have to do.

Hey, it worked! Took a little bit of effort to find how to enable the midi input, but I finally found it.  And it works pretty good as far as I am concerned.

If I ever need a wah wah for any of my recordings I now know what to do! It beats using the mouse!

Thanks all for your info and effort.

1 hour ago, Gswitz said:

Yeah, enabling  midi input (instead of changing Configure) works for Guitar rig too.  I haven’t had to do this since getting the guitar rig controller.  I knew there was an easier way! 🤣