Updates

Teksonik

20 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

Didn’t we just have one in November? Only a week into February and someone’s concerned about the future of Cakewalk by B. Sheesh!

Fair crack o’ the whip sport. Give the blokes a chance. She’ll be baked when she’s baked.

One should always be concerned about the future of freeware.......sport. 😉

Never assume Meng Ru Kuok will always support CW. One needs only observe the recent layoffs in the industry to understand the current global economic climate and there are some projections for a more serious downturn.  Hence my concern.

Anyway I don't really need any updates since CW is no longer my main DAW for any tasks but it just seemed like updates were coming at a faster rate in the past than recently. Perhaps it just seems like there were more updates over time since I don't load CW every day.

But it's good to know that work continues on Cakewalk which I have owned since Sonar 5. Kudos to Bandlab for keeping it alive at least for the foreseeable future.👍

2 hours ago, Teksonik said:

One should always be concerned about the future of freeware.......sport. 😉

Or any software: Master Tracks Pro, Studio Vision,  MOTU FreeStyle, Temper,  Project 5, Bars and Pipes, etc. Software has a lifecycle, like everything else.

Personally, I'm not worried about Cakewalk. I'm sure Meng knows that if he wanted to make money with Cakewalk by selling add-ons, VIs, etc. in a Cakewalk store, he could. The fact that he doesn't perhaps implies that making bucks from Cakewalk is not a priority. There are plenty of reasons to keep it going, and few reasons to shut it down. [No inside knowledge, just how it looks to me.]

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Or any software: Master Tracks Pro, Studio Vision,  MOTU FreeStyle, Temper,  Project 5, Bars and Pipes, etc. Software has a lifecycle, like everything else.

Personally, I'm not worried about Cakewalk. I'm sure Meng knows that if he wanted to make money with Cakewalk by selling add-ons, VIs, etc. in a Cakewalk store, he could. The fact that he doesn't perhaps implies that making bucks from Cakewalk is not a priority. There are plenty of reasons to keep it going, and few reasons to shut it down. [No inside knowledge, just how it looks to me.]

:) I actually had to use Master Tracks Pro quite a bit recently to convert some of my old Master Track Pro midi files (mts) to more standard midi files (mid).

Fortunately, actually I started using Cakewalk (mid 90s), every Cakewalk file I have ever done, including bundles, still opens in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

We should all be grateful to Meng Ru Kuok.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Outside the US, there isn't the same fetish about every product having to be xx% profitable or it gets killed.

1. The owner is a multi millionaire.

2. It has surely been bought to at least partly promote the Bandlab service.

Also, why is "profit" always the term being used? (Always sounds like people confuse the audio software industry with the stock market...) Especially in this small industry, it's not like there's loads of multinational billions worth corporations. All the companies are mid tier to small business, and most are run by enthusiasts or musicians. If that counts for you.

As long as there's still money being used in this world, companies need to make sure to bring food to the table.

Edited by chakko

This particular company cleans up with all of their other ventures and Bandlab (the social network / music hosting company) is apparently doing great, so clearly Cakewalk isn't a huge worry for them for it to be profitable, or they would have monetized all of the add-ons, etc. by now.

Meng clearly isn't dumb, he bought the Cakewalk IP for a reason and it's definitely sending traffic and customers Bandlab's way already, and he has a great tech team on the books now - if you had a company that had a music social network, you'd want some talented engineers onboard to lend their skills and knowledge to your product, right?

It's amazing how often this topic comes up here. Most companies release a new version every year or so, and maybe 2 or 3 updates to that version in the interim, barely a peep out of the dev team, and nobody bats an eyelid. The last update here was in late November... that's barely a few months old, and there's been very active participation in the forums by the dev team saying how they've fixed certain thing and it'll be in the next release. Doesn't sound particularly like doom and gloom to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

It's amazing how often this topic comes up here. Most companies release a new version every year or so, and maybe 2 or 3 updates to that version in the interim, barely a peep out of the dev team, and nobody bats an eyelid. The last update here was in late November... that's barely a few months old, and there's been very active participation in the forums by the dev team saying how they've fixed certain thing and it'll be in the next release. Doesn't sound particularly like doom and gloom to me.

FWIW, no complaints about that here at all. If anything, I think updates are overrated (especially the paid ones 😉), unless there is something blatantly missing, or broken with the software.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, whoisp said:

Is this Talent Plugin the one Milli Vanilli used for his Grammy Award for Best New Artist that didn't sing or play a instrument

Are you suggesting that music may not always be a reflection of life?

I listened to "Set Your Troubles Free", and it would appear that Talent is already in your toolkit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Are you suggesting that music may not always be a reflection of life?

I listened to "Set Your Troubles Free", and it would appear that Talent is already in your toolkit.

I will take the compliment, i do sit down sometimes and try to right a proper song but im normally trying to create hooks, beats and samples  to get a better understanding  of Cakewalk production etc so thanx 

On 2/7/2023 at 2:43 PM, bitflipper said:

There have been three beta releases this year. Combined, they include about 30 bug fixes and some nice enhancements. I can't talk about them per my NDA, but they're going to be very welcome additions. Some old favorites from SONAR days will be coming back, so everybody who came onboard after SONAR's demise are going to get some new goodies. But even you old SONAR guys will smile when you see the new version.

Ok if Bitflipper says it going to be good I'm intrigued.   I just spent the last three months staring at the "piano roll" working on a pretty large project.  I have not done that in years so it was fun getting my cakewalk chops back.  As is always the case, at the end I had everything figured out and I was very happy with the workflow. I'm pretty convinced I'm going to be working in cake till the day I die.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Ok if Bitflipper says it going to be good I'm intrigued.

In agreement too :D

For some strange reason I didn't think CbB was still doing beta channel.  Nice to know someone with Bitflipper's knowledge is on the Beta-Team.
Can't wait to see what the Baker's have for this next update.

• Thanks 1